Another deed Jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Another deed Jeep

Another dead Jeep.

So I was out taking care of some business today and I come out to start the Jeep and.....nothing. I get one click, then nothing. I noticed a buzzing coming from the fuse box next to the battery. I pulled every relay one at a time and none of them were the source. Cleaned the terminals off on the battery and hooked the battery back up and still nothing. Tried to jump it with another car...the lights come on nice and bright but still just get the one click. As long as it's hooked up to another vehicle, the buzzing is gone from the fuse box. When the battery is unhooked, obviously the buzzing is gone and if the drain is significant on the battery it's gone too. None of the relays felt hot.

I walked over to the Ford dealership and they let me use one of the jump-starters. They said that a lot of the newer cars won't jump start like the old days, but as soon as you hook it up to one of the little portable jumpstarters they start right up. Sure enough it did. Problem partially solved I'll just drive it over to the shop and have them take a look. Drove it for about 150 yards and it died. I borrow the jumpstarter again and pull it into the Fords service garage and they are going to keep it on the charger and test the battery.

Any ideas? I've had zero problems and no sign of the battery beginning to fail. Up to today, the Jeep hasn't had a single problem in the 3 years I've had it.

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 02-01-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: dead jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

3 years on the original battery? Lucky guy. Unfortunately it sounds like your luck just ran out and the battery died

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Rock God

3 years and original battery?
Time for a new one.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No personal experience, 61k miles and 2 1/2 years <knocks on wood>. But I've read quite a few stories of dead JK stock batteries, mostly like this one...fine one day and dead the next. Usually around two+ years.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

i guess i should get a new one soon, my 07 still has the original battery

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #6 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 02:05 PM
JKO Addict!

I have NEVER heard of a vehicle not starting with a jump start. (unless your trying to jump it off a civic lol)

Most people just hook it up and try and start it. That never works. You have to hook it up, let it sit for a minute or so, rev the other car up a bit and then start it. Works every time.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #7 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
I have NEVER heard of a vehicle not starting with a jump start. (unless your trying to jump it off a civic lol)

Most people just hook it up and try and start it. That never works. You have to hook it up, let it sit for a minute or so, rev the other car up a bit and then start it. Works every time.
Not every time. I'm wondering if there is some kind of safety feature for the computer or CANBUS system that doesn't allow you to jump with another car, but does with a jumpstarter. Just a guess. All I know is what the service manager told me and sure enough..he was on the money.

Alternator tested out fine so it was the battery. It's got a brand new yellow top in it now. Problem solved.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Who knows?
After my JK was sunk i jumped it probably 20 times in the three or four days before i got everything fixed.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #9 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oside5ka Send a message via Yahoo to Oside5ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Not every time. I'm wondering if there is some kind of safety feature for the computer or CANBUS system that doesn't allow you to jump with another car, but does with a jumpstarter. Just a guess. All I know is what the service manager told me and sure enough..he was on the money.

Alternator tested out fine so it was the battery. It's got a brand new yellow top in it now. Problem solved.
And how would the Computer/CANBUS know if a car was trying to jump it off vs. a Jumppac

2011 JKU Rubi 2 1/2" Rough Country, 35's, Mile Marker 9k winch.
2011 Polaris RzR s
2000 Ford Explorer Lifted on 33's (Dead) Roll over)
2007 Sportsman 800
2003 Suzuki Eigor 4x4 (Dead rearended the Sportsman, Guts transfered to a Golfcart)
1996 Yamaha Banshee Stroked with all the goodies
post #10 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oside5ka View Post
And how would the Computer/CANBUS know if a car was trying to jump it off vs. a Jumppac
Magic.
post #11 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oside5ka View Post
Electrical noise on the battery leads. I'm not saying this is the case, but it would be easy to detect.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #12 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Quote:

"Can't jump from another car?" Nah... you'll run into these issues if your battery is so dead there is no charge, because car batteries won't have enough "juice" to kick start your Jeep.

My stock battery went after 18 months. Running a Yellow Top now with no problems. This Summer I'm adding a second Yellow Top for all the home electronics we need to take when we go camping.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My Liberty's battery died suddenly. Wife drove it, came back out and it was dead. Fired right up when I jumped it from my Sebring. Battery was less than 3 years old.
Drove up to Pep Boys and got a replacement ASAP.

I'm nearing 3 years on my original JK battery. Hope I didn't jinx myself.

MikeP

post #14 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

When my battery shits the bed, I am going with the Benchmark Designs Dual Battery Tray and Optima Yellow Tops
post #15 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton1999 View Post
"Can't jump from another car?" Nah... you'll run into these issues if your battery is so dead there is no charge, because car batteries won't have enough "juice" to kick start your Jeep.
:
Yet it jumped on the first try from a jumpstarter? Do those things have more juice than a car?
post #16 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

Been running mine on the stock battery since December of 06 and no issues here yet. Now watch it won't start when I go to leave work today...

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #17 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
When my battery shits the bed, I am going with the Benchmark Designs Dual Battery Tray and Optima Yellow Tops
Good plan.

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #18 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

If the headlights didn't come on everytime you use the keyless entry, the battery would probably last 48 months
post #19 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
If the headlights didn't come on everytime you use the keyless entry, the battery would probably last 48 months
I think you can have the dealer turn that feature off.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I think you can have the dealer turn that feature off.
Nope...

I tried and they said there is not an option for it.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Nope...

I tried and they said there is not an option for it.
That person is either an idiot or just lazy. It's been done to several people's Jeeps.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Rock God

I feel cheated!

I will have to check that out next time i have to go to the dealer!
post #23 of 23 Old 02-07-2010, 05:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Batteries just go out... no rhyme,reason,or timeframe. Extreme hot (Florida) or extreme cold(up nawth) will make them go sooner than later. Our little shop usually replaces 10-15 per week, VERY SELDOM do most batteries give much of a warning.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode