I need the CB 411 - Advice??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I need the CB 411 - Advice???

I need to get a CB, and am relatively uninformed (but at least I'm honest.)

Rarely do I cut corners, and I certainly don't want to do that on a CB. What is everyone running these days in terms of CBs, Antennas, Bumper/Tire-Rack Mounts, and of course, mounting locations (the CB, not a girlfriend.)

Please advise, thanks!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Rock God

I like the Cobra 75 WX ST and Liberty Antenna with Custom Mount!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #3 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 07:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

I'm using the 75 also and it's been great! I'm using a fire stick antenna and a mount on the spare which vas very easy to set up!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 AM
JKO Addict!

I am running a Uniden PRO 510XL. Despite its name it is about as small as you can get for a CB. I have it mounted next to my transfer case shifter. I am using a Wilson FLEX 3' antenna mounted on a coustom mount simerlar to the one thebeatenpath did a write up on around here somewhere.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #5 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Also rocking a cobra 75.....great little CB.
Bare bones for sure, but what else do you need when on the trail?
I wish it had a PA just so I could scream at people, but it doesnt

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #6 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I used to have a CB with a PA. Great fun!

Yep, the Cobra 75wx (weather) is a great little radio. Bare bones and not really tweakable. But you don't need much for talking to someone 500 feet ahead of you.

I would search for install options here and purchase a tuneable antenna. Then head down to the local radio shop (truck stop) and have the radio guy tune your radio and antenna for you. The other option is to find someone local to tune your radio for you. Its not hard and really not overly required for our use, but it keeps the radio working properly and people will be able to understand what you are saying. I think we have all been on a trail with a guy with the radio that doesn't work very well and all you hear is squeaks, sqwaks and squeels.

A well tuned CB may come in handy if you ever really need to talk 5 miles or more.
post #7 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Granite Guru

Personally, I prefer the full-bodied radios, like the Cobra 29
post #8 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

uniden 510 pro xl cb wit h3 ft firestik

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21331
custom ant mount

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #9 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Rock God

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/je...-cb-radio-106/

check that link out, they have full kits for your jeep... For idiots like me it was the best deal. I bought the 510 kit for $110

also bought an external speaker to mount in the rollbar

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #10 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Wheeler

The most important thing to consider is antenna. The radio is second thing to consider. The size and mounting location of the radio will help you decide what you can fit into. I have had many different over the last 38 years. The Cobra 75wx in nice and small and works good, (for myself the unit got to hot as I talk a lot on it). I have 4 of the Midland 75-822 and a Wilson Mag. mount, for my clients to borrow (same problem as the Cobra 75wx). For my personal and business use I like the Cobra 29 Classic with a K-40 antenna. I can get a 1 to 1.1 match with them. My reason for the Cobra 29 is it has the SWR meter built in and this is what you need to get the best match and transmission.

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #11 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Wheeler

I also run a Cobra 75, and the tailgate mount from Cool Tech...excellent combo IMHO.
post #12 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Wow, great info. I feel a little awkward asking the next question to a bunch of dudes, but here we go...

How long are your antennas with the Cobra 75? I'm thinking Firestik with a Teraflex, JK rear spare mount. Thoughts?

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #13 of 41 Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Rock God

I just put on a firestik with quick disconnect and the teraflex jk spare tire mount and am very happy with it. Very nice setup and very easy to install

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #14 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Wheeler

You want as much of the antenna above the roof line as possible. This will let you transmit further. Your pattern of transmission from the rear of the vehicle (spare tire mount) will be strongest towards the front, weakest to the rear. A 3' to a 4' fire stick should be fine, if it is tuned to the radio.

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #15 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a Cobra 148 GTL w/ uppers and lowers. It was one that I pulled out of my RV before I sold it and have had it sitting on a shelf, just tryin to decide where I want to mount it right now.
post #16 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Rock God

What do you guys have your CB's wired to for power?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!
post #17 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfJK View Post
What do you guys have your CB's wired to for power?
Wire directly to the battery via a inline fuse. That will help improve the quality of transmission plus reduce as much noise as possible. And you can add a noise reducer if needed. Same with the ground - straight to the battery. Plus that way you can still use the radio if everything else fails, in theory.
post #18 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Rock God

Does the CB come with the inline fuse and all, or do I need to buy that somewhere else?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!
post #19 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Rock God

OK.. so I've got a simmilar question as the OP. My next jeep purchase is a cb, and I don't want to spend a lot of money (I'm a cheap ass), and my wife is not a big fan of the long antennas...(I put a 4' on my old rodeo and she hated it)- after all- the jeep is her DD.
so....

There may be some flaming here.... but what about this?

http://www.walcottcb.com/1001zms512-...th=340_377_379

I also like that I could pull it from wherever I mount it to my other car if I'm taking a trip. Perhaps in the future, wire in a 2' antenna or something thats permanent... I've been looking at handhelds on CL.. but not so sure I would be getting my money's worth.

~ Clam
post #20 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfJK View Post
Does the CB come with the inline fuse and all, or do I need to buy that somewhere else?
Usually comes with. If not, Rat Shack or Wally World has them.
post #21 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Mag mount is usually never as good as hard mount. But it is better than none at all.

The problem is that the positioning of the antenna and its grounded connection is in direct proportion to the performance of the radio overall. And with the fiberglass hard roof or cloth soft top, you will be mounting it to the hood at best.

It will work. And will work fine for trail use.

It won't work as good for trying to communicate for long distances.

An antenna that is matched, means that the length of the antenna matches the height of the signal being broadcast. An antenna that is shorter (or longer) than needed is usually "loaded" a the base to "extend" the shorter antenna. This is a compromise. It works. Just not as well.

I would say your compromise is far better than no radio at all.
post #22 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Rock God

Thanks- At the end of the day.. I think that is where I'm at: better than no radio at all, and would be used mostly on wheeling trips. After having the CB in my old rodeo for over 3 yrs, I hardly ever used it, so spending alot of money and permanant install time on one seemed not like the best thing to do.

I was thinking of velcroing a metal plate on the underside of the hardtop to possibly make it work on the roof...

~ Clam
post #23 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Thread HiJack....

Did you off road your Rodeo? Ever go to Moab? For an event called Moab-Zu?
post #24 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Thread HiJack....

Did you off road your Rodeo? Ever go to Moab? For an event called Moab-Zu?
Nothing more than 1-3 trails and really it was just tooling around. I've never wheeled in moab, I can't wait to someday. I've spent alot of time there doing other activities, climbing, mt biking etc.....

~ Clam
post #25 of 41 Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Ok just checking to see if we ever met before as it is unusual for people to have a Rodeo and wheel it. I was on the board of directors of Zu Zoo, a NPO that held the 3rd largest event in Moab every year, for Isuzu's mostly.

Yep Moab is Disneyland for 4-wheeling and get there before they close it down. I usually pack frozen Popsicles to give to the hikers and bike riders I come across. Especially on the dual/multi use trails such as Porcupine Rim / Hells Revenge. A frozen Popsicle on a hundred plus day on solid rock is a great ambassador move.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode