Lifetime LED 70w headlight conversion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-25-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lifetime LED 70w headlight conversion

I did a ton of research on headlights and right when I was about to pull the trigger on Truck Lites, I came across these for $250. Install was easy, only issues I had were the H13 connector doesn't lock into the stock wire connector so I just wrapped electrical tape around it to secure it, and the lights don't sit perfectly vertical, but after twisting a little further, I was able to get them aimed directly in the 12 o'clock position. Here are some pictures of the product, install, and comparison to stock 2013 headlights.

Stock Low Beam:

LED Low Beam:

Stock Hi Beam:

LED Hi Beam:

Stock Low Beam:

LED Low Beam:

Stock Hi Beam:

LED Hi Beam:

Since the LED bulb is so directional, light only shines from the top half of the light. Similar to Truck Lites

Last edited by T-Willy; 10-25-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 05:21 AM
Rock God

Any issues with oncoming traffic flashing you because they think you have your high beams on?

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch79 View Post
Any issues with oncoming traffic flashing you because they think you have your high beams on?
I have only had them in for 3 days, but so far nobody has flashed their brights at me. I had my brother drive in front of me and he said they were fine in his mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Wheeler

I went with the Truck Lites and I love them. Yours look great too, the only thing you seem to lose is that kind of perfect line you can see with stock low vs. led low. But who cares, if you can see better then its what matters.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Granite Guru

I am looking at this and the 30W ones on Rebel Offroad's website. The 30W are $100 less and sounds like they are a good upgrade from the stock lights as well. It's a tough decision, any input or suggestions? I am going to also run their LED fog lights.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 12:24 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Just going to throw this out there. Truck Lite, KC, and Peterson did lab testing and chip alignments to get their beams flat and focus the light where it is needed. In the Phase 7 style housing, the chip is offset/sunk into the bowl to get the light flat. Looking at your low beam shot, there is a metric shit ton of glare coming off the top end of that beam pattern. That translates into being a total cockface to oncoming drivers. They may not be high beaming you, but they are quietly wishing death upon you for 10 seconds at a time. These drop in kits for LED are just as bad as HID drop in kits. I don't mean to rain on your new purchase, but blinding oncoming traffic with a blob of high intensity light is what gives a group of enthusiasts a bad name. Kind of like the ricer/Fast-n-furious crowd, they are known for those drop in kits and they drive around blinding people, nobody has much love for them. You're going to do what you want, but I want to point out the facts about lighting, a properly designed optic with a proper cut off is obviously more considerate to other drivers. These drop in kits are as bad as the flat bill bro truck crowd installing Rigid D series into their stock low beam positions in the factory housings and actually using them for low beams.

Perhaps just do this, it would be sweet!

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...l=1#post715487

Look at the beam patterns below and compare them to yours.

Truck Lite.

JW Speaker.

HID in a true BiXenon projector. (Instead of stock housings.)

Now yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Granite Guru

Well said, and all that blinding people for a $150 saving on a $30k plus Jeep. Just doesn't make cense at all, but I guess to each their own......
post #8 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Just going to throw this out there. Truck Lite, KC, and Peterson did lab testing and chip alignments to get their beams flat and focus the light where it is needed. In the Phase 7 style housing, the chip is offset/sunk into the bowl to get the light flat. Looking at your low beam shot, there is a metric shit ton of glare coming off the top end of that beam pattern. That translates into being a total cockface to oncoming drivers. They may not be high beaming you, but they are quietly wishing death upon you for 10 seconds at a time. These drop in kits for LED are just as bad as HID drop in kits. I don't mean to rain on your new purchase, but blinding oncoming traffic with a blob of high intensity light is what gives a group of enthusiasts a bad name. Kind of like the ricer/Fast-n-furious crowd, they are known for those drop in kits and they drive around blinding people, nobody has much love for them. You're going to do what you want, but I want to point out the facts about lighting, a properly designed optic with a proper cut off is obviously more considerate to other drivers. These drop in kits are as bad as the flat bill bro truck crowd installing Rigid D series into their stock low beam positions in the factory housings and actually using them for low beams.

Perhaps just do this, it would be sweet!
^he knows his stuff, and as someone with light sensitivity( fawken genetics ) , blinding other drivers with large amounts of glare will have them wishing death upon your head until you pass them. if its bad enough and a LEO wants to press it, can result in a ticket and large fine.
Ask how i found that one out

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #9 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Not going to disagree with any of you and say these are as good as any of the aforementioned headlight replacements. I figured I would try this less expensive route and see how they were. And I know everybody will say the cutoff (or lack ther of) will blind oncoming traffic. I had my brother drive in front of me and look in his mirrors to see how they were. His response was that they are not too bright, he just didn't like the look of how the light only comes from the top half. I'm going to trade cars with him and drive towards each other as if it were oncoming traffic to see for myself if it is blinding or not. If it is blinding I will ditch the bulbs and get some Truck Lites.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-26-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Punisher View Post
I am looking at this and the 30W ones on Rebel Offroad's website. The 30W are $100 less and sounds like they are a good upgrade from the stock lights as well. It's a tough decision, any input or suggestions? I am going to also run their LED fog lights.
I considered the 30w bulbs also. Then I saw the 70w and got greedy and figured why not go brighter. So unfortunately I can't compare the two for you. I can tell you these are very bright, but I'm sure the 30w bulbs will be a huge step up from stock also. In retrospect, probably not worth the extra $100 for the brighter ones, but Im already past that haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode