need help w mygig rer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

need help w mygig rer

Did some searches n got some mixed info. So gonna ask about my specific situation. I traded my 07 JK towards a 15. The 15 came with the RES radio with the full connectivity package. I kept a mygig RER that I bought used for my 07 and put it in the 15. Unsurprisingly, I'm having issues w the UCONNECT since the jeep has it and the RER has it built in. When I unplugged the RES there was just the main harness, the mic and the antennas. I thought there would be a UCONNECT plug to leave undone but don't think there was. How do I bypass factory uconnect but still utilize factory microphone and steering wheel buttons???

Also I used the existing stock siri (or is it NAV/SIRI even tho I didn't have nav?) antenna and my Sirius reception sux now. Any suggestions here??

Thanks all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-18-2014, 10:40 PM
JKO Addict!

One thing that come to mind is the RER is a Low speed BUS where as your Jeep has a High speed bus so there is a communication problem between the radio and the CANBUS system. From what I have read, you can use a radio with a High Speed bus in a vehicle that has a Low speed bus, but you can't use a radio with a Low Speed Bus in a vehicle with a high speed Bus.

Not saying you can, but if you get that radio to work or you decide to unload your RER and get the RHR (730N with high speed bus), to make it work you will need to get a new mic to plug into the radio. A buddy of mine went through similar when upgrading from a 130 to a 730N on his 2012 Ram that came with uConnect. The had to bypass the uConnect that came with it run a new mic to the rDio.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2014, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the reply. I don't think its a CANBUS issue tho. While I agree the JK is high speed bus I don't think the rer is low speed. When I bought it I made sure it was high speed and it worked fine in my 07 JK for years which is also high speed bus. I'm pretty sure its just a conflict between the uconnect module that came in my 15 jeep and the uconnect that is built into the RER. I did read there may be a harness I can buy to solve this but wasn't able to find out anything definitive on that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
One thing that come to mind is the RER is a Low speed BUS where as your Jeep has a High speed bus so there is a communication problem between the radio and the CANBUS system. From what I have read, you can use a radio with a High Speed bus in a vehicle that has a Low speed bus, but you can't use a radio with a Low Speed Bus in a vehicle with a high speed Bus.

Not saying you can, but if you get that radio to work or you decide to unload your RER and get the RHR (730N with high speed bus), to make it work you will need to get a new mic to plug into the radio. A buddy of mine went through similar when upgrading from a 130 to a 730N on his 2012 Ram that came with uConnect. The had to bypass the uConnect that came with it run a new mic to the rDio.
My RER is high speed. It's an 08. Is there a newer RER that is low speed?

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
I think they come in both depending on which vehicle they were intended for. Low speed canbus vehicle or hi speed canbus vehicle. But I can't say for sure
post #6 of 7 Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post

I could be mistaken with that. I was under the impression the RER was low speed and the RHR was high speed.

Apologies if I was wrong.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep#4 View Post
I think they come in both depending on which vehicle they were intended for. Low speed canbus vehicle or hi speed canbus vehicle. But I can't say for sure
THIS is correct. The RER came in both low speed and high speed. I believe the Grand Cherokee RER's are low speed.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode