Auto Actuated and Switch for exterior lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 10-16-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Auto Actuated and Switch for exterior lights

So as the header says I'm wondering if it's possible to have an auto actuated (in reverse) and a switch for a reverse light.

I'm putting some rear facing lights on my bumper and would like to be able to turn them on and off with a switch, but also to turn on with the revers lights?

Anyone every done this?

Also I want to do the same thing with some runner/rock lights. Turn on when the door opens or when a switch is flipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Wheeler

Basically you want to turn on additional reverse lights with either going into reverse or hitting a switch. One way to do this is with a SPDT switch and and SPDT relay. I am not sure how picky the CANBUS in the Jeep is about using the reverse light's postive for a trigger. Aside from that wiring the circuit shouldn't be terrible.

You could tap into one of the positive leads on a reverse light that gets power when you shift into reverse. This could wire into one SPDT switches's poles. The other pole could be wired directly from the batttery with fused power. This wire will carry minimal current as it would be used as a trigger and never see any current from the lights. The common part of the SPDT switch would wire into terminal #86 on the SPDT relay. Now you are done with the switch side.

Now you could mount and ground your new lights. Take the positive wire from the lights and run it to terminal #30 on the relay. This wire will carry the higher current from the relay to the lights. Now ground terminal #85 on the relay. Run fused power from the battery to terminal #87 on the relay. This wire will carry the higher current from the batttery to the relay.

Terminal #87a will be unused but there will be constant 12v fom the battery when the lights are not on as this part of the relay is normally closed.

Any questions hit me up. Hope I was of some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode