Wiring for a welder? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wiring for a welder?

While it's not a JK electrical question, I wasn't sure where to post it, and besides, i'll be using the welder for the jeep.

I have a miller mig welder. 230V 20 amps single phase. My garage has a full panel with plenty of slots and amps to spare.

I plan on putting a receptcle a few feet away from the panel for the welder, plan on using 10 gauge wire, a 50 amp recepticle and a 30 amp breaker (while the welder is rated at 20 amps it has a 50 amp 3 prong plug) does this sound good so far?

At the panel I'll need to use two breakers, one for the black one for the red wires, do I use two 30 amp breakers or two 15 amp breakers (30 amps total)? With the white wire to the neutral and the bare ground wire to the ground strap!

Does this sound correct, or do I have it ass backwards?

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Granite Guru

You need to use a 30 duplex breaker for your red and black wires. You want both circuits disconnected if one side trips.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Rock God

If you are not sure what you are doing call an electrician! It won't cost that much for one to hook that up for you and your house won't burn down! That is my PSA for you.

With that said, a 30 Amp breaker will be two 15 amp breakers with one pull switch (the circuit will trip both breakers at once and you cannot reset individual breakers).

Your gauge of wire really should be 8 gauge not 10 for 50 Amp service.

The white wire will be connected to the buss bar (more than likely where the other white wires are).

Why are you using a 50 amp recepticle on a 30 amp breaker?

Again call an electrician if you have any doubt. 220v is no joke and can burna panel rathr quickly if wired wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

I don't think you need to go all the way up to 8AWG. That's a pretty big wire for that application it seems.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Rock God

I am just a better safe than sorry guy!

post #6 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Granite Guru

i is an electrician and to be legal for 20 amps all you need is romex 12/2 and a 20amp 2pole breaker it is that easy
black/white go to breaker and the ground to ground bar in the panel and wire in your receptical that matches your plug
on your welder probably 2 flat prongs and the normal ground on the bottom hope this helps

Last edited by captaindean; 01-27-2010 at 02:06 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Granite Guru

You're suggesting using ground as neutral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
I am just a better safe than sorry guy!
I agree with that, but for my double convection oven I'm probably playing it safe with 8AWG for its wattage and breaker requirements.

10AWG is still probably playing it safe on a 30 amp breaker.

Last edited by MaJiK hat; 01-27-2010 at 02:28 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Granite Guru

there is no neutral in a 220 volt welder you can tape the white wire red or blue but you dont need a neutral there is only 2 hots and a ground
post #9 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Granite Guru

10 Gauge wire is fine if you have a 30 amp breaker. The breaker you need will have two switches tied together and will say 30 on the handle. Check to see what a 50 amp receptacle costs versus a 30 amp receptacle and a new 30 amp plug.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #10 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindean View Post
there is no neutral in a 220 volt welder you can tape the white wire red or blue but you dont need a neutral there is only 2 hots and a ground
You just made my point. You are using the ground as your neutral return. The ground conductor on most 12/2 romex is not 12AWG either.

No offense intended, but that's kind of rigged.

To the OP, it will be a few dollars difference for 10/3 wire, why skimp and have to re-code wires and shit when you can just have peace of mind. Run the neutral-white properly and ground the outlet box. You said this outlet is close to the box, the wire isn't going to cost much (100feet of 8/3 now THAT'S spending money!)
post #11 of 11 Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJiK hat View Post
You just made my point. You are using the ground as your neutral return. The ground conductor on most 12/2 romex is not 12AWG either.

No offense intended, but that's kind of rigged.

To the OP, it will be a few dollars difference for 10/3 wire, why skimp and have to re-code wires and shit when you can just have peace of mind. Run the neutral-white properly and ground the outlet box. You said this outlet is close to the box, the wire isn't going to cost much (100feet of 8/3 now THAT'S spending money!)
I is a "MASTER" electrician. If the equipment requires a 20 amp circuit. Then that is all you are required to install. 20 amp = #12 awg and 30 amp = #10 awg. Installing bigger wire is a waste of money. Installing bigger breaker risks burning down your new equipment. Yes you do need a two pole breaker for 220 / 240 volt equipment. If it is a 4 wire connection then you will need a neutral wire. If it is a 3 wire conection then you only need a ground.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode