Getting wires into the cabin.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Getting wires into the cabin..

I have installed several switches for offroad lights and the rear locker mod to the left of the steering wheel, on the panel beneath the vent. I came into the cab with wiring through the small hole on the drivers side firewall, the one that is filled with spray type foam...Anyway, I am running my coax from the antenna, and the coax end will not fit through that hole with the other wires already there. Where else can I get a coax cable into the Jeep without sacrificing a seal or weather boot? I ran through the cable through the framerail on the driver side, and planned on going through that foam filled hole but it is not going to work. Is there another place close by or do I need to re route the wire completely? Thanks

2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4D Silver, 4" Superlift
35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, Summit Racing 15" wheels
Smittybilt XRC front bumper with XRC8 Syn

96 XJ, 8"lift, 36" Swampers, 8.8 detroit rear, lots of other mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Granite Guru

Isn't your antenna installed on the rear on the vehicle?

This is how I did it:

Remove the two tail light screws toward the center of the vehicle, tail light assembly comes off, and you'll see how the wire harness goes inside. The foam panel in the bottom of the space lifts up, you can also see it from under the vehicle - bring the coax through there. I cable tied the coax to the electrical harness going to the front of the vehicle, the door sill plastic comes up by working those those plastic "christmas tree" plugs out, or if you get lucky and it doesn't snag, just push the coax through.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Wheeler

Another option if your antenna is at the back

I ran my coax in through the tailgate opening. I lifted up the seal in the lower passenger corner and ran the wire through there. Does not affect the sealing of the tailgate at all. I then ran it along the passenger side under the carpet to the passenger side of the dash where I have my Cobra 75 box mounted.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the ideas. The tail light opening works great for me, as my antenna mount is inside the tag holder.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4D Silver, 4" Superlift
35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, Summit Racing 15" wheels
Smittybilt XRC front bumper with XRC8 Syn

96 XJ, 8"lift, 36" Swampers, 8.8 detroit rear, lots of other mods
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshogren View Post
I ran my coax in through the tailgate opening. I lifted up the seal in the lower passenger corner and ran the wire through there. Does not affect the sealing of the tailgate at all. I then ran it along the passenger side under the carpet to the passenger side of the dash where I have my Cobra 75 box mounted.

Mark
Yeah, pretty much the same here...
Under the plastic cover, into the big hole, out through the rubber grommet...
No cutting, etc. Just cut an X into the rubber grommet...

post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

I was thinking bumper mounts, mine is license plate holder mounted with an internal bracket I made.

The tire carrier is of course the more common placement and that tailgate grommet idea is the way to go. I do that for my back-up camera cable.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode