Stock tweeter delete question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Stock tweeter delete question

This is probably an ignorant question, but...is there any negative to simply unplugging the stock tweeters (non Alpine system in a 2014 JKUS)? I replaced the dash speakers and the sound bar speakers with Infinity 6032si. I do like the sound improvement, however I now have too much high-end and no low-end; I plan on installing a powered subwoofer and a 4-channel amplifier and probably keeping the stock head unit. I did try searching this but it is probably too stupid of a question to have been asked before. As a side not, removing and replacing the dash speakers was much easier than it was made out to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Congrats on upgrading the speakers. I, like yourself, ran into the same issue of, GAWD this sounds awful. When my better half commented on how bad the stock stereo/speakers were, I knew it wasn't just me.

As far as you're question on the tweeters, I would just unhook the wires (might have to cut the wires). I wouldn't take them out unless you replace them (from the sound of it, you don't want to). I am going to assume that you turned down the treble on the head deck.

I changed out the deck in my JKUS to a JVC that a co-worker of mine had laying around. It is much more clear than with the stock radio with the same setup. Just swapping the deck was as much of an improvement as swapping the speakers. Just FYI.

I agree with you that the front speakers were not that difficult to install, it just takes a little time (well, the drivers side anyways). I ran a set of Polk 6.5" db components with an alpine 4x45 rms amp. The wiring was much more involved with the cross overs (and later the amp), but nothing to difficult.

I don't know what sub you are planning on running, but I wanted something that didn't take up a lot of space. I found a JL wxv2 in a box (complete package from JL). I have a Rockford Fosgate 300x2 amp (bridged to 1 channel) running the sub and it does a great job. I didn't want windows shaking/disturbing the piece, I wanted sound. If that's what you're looking for, the combo does a nice job with all sorts of music (classic rock/country/pop/regge/rap).

Again, congrats on upgrading the tunes in your jeep. Hope anything above helps.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #3 of 5 Old 10-12-2014, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the response, I disconnected the stock tweeters and messed around with the equalizer and now the system sounds much better; it seemed like the stock tweeters and the infinity speakers were interfering with each other. I am electronically ignorant and just wanted to make sure no damage would occur from having the wiring for the stock tweeters unplugged but still connected to the rest of the system. I was planning on keeping the system pretty low-end; a powered sub such as the Kenwood ksc-sw11 and an amplifier such as the NVX MVPA4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Weir View Post
Thanks for the response, I disconnected the stock tweeters and messed around with the equalizer and now the system sounds much better; it seemed like the stock tweeters and the infinity speakers were interfering with each other. I am electronically ignorant and just wanted to make sure no damage would occur from having the wiring for the stock tweeters unplugged but still connected to the rest of the system. I was planning on keeping the system pretty low-end; a powered sub such as the Kenwood ksc-sw11 and an amplifier such as the NVX MVPA4.
No problem. The stock tweeters are okay, but the speakers you installed have a much better tweeter.

There shouldn't be any interference, from unplugging the tweeters, if it is near the power source. Even if it's not, as long as you have the end of the wires taped up, you should be good to go. The power going to the tweeters on the stock setup is pretty weak.

I totally understand keeping the system low cost. I went a little more overboard because I love the system clear and loud. I wanted a little more power than what the deck could give me, so I added the 4x45 amp for full range and the 300x1 for the sub. I spent a little more than I projected (what project doesn't) but I'm happy and it's impressive for under 1k.

As long as it suits your needs and makes the jeep that much more fun to drive, then it's always worth it. Congrats!

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #5 of 5 Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Wheeler

Bob, you actually did the stereo upgrade I considered doing with my 2014 JKU Rubicon. I've got the Alpine "premium" sound system too and it's FAR from premium, in my opinion. The sound quality was pretty awful for what it claimed to be!

Over on another Jeep forum, a few guys have been doing a lot of work on trying to improve this system without spending a lot -- trying to find the "ideal" upgrade steps.

I think they've generally agreed that the Infinity 6032si is the way to go in the sound bar. (Take some poly-fill; that polyester pillow stuffing you can get at any craft store, and put a wad of it behind each of those sound bar speakers too. It will add a bit of clarity to the sound, as it prevents the plastic of the sound bar from resonating at certain frequencies.)

For the front speakers? I'm not so sure I would have gone with the 6032si up there, for the exact reason you've stated. You wind up doubling up on your tweeters in front when you do that. I see no harm in just disconnecting the factory ones at the top of the dash -- but then you have the disadvantage of your tweeters firing down near your knees, which isn't ideal placement for them.

I opted to keep my factory front speakers in place on my Jeep right now, and I did a modification to the factory tweeters where you solder a 4.7uf capacitor onto each of them. If you have no experience with electronics or soldering, you probably have no interest in attempting this one .... but it really was a worthwhile mod. Only cost about $5 and it adjusts the frequency range that gets to the factory tweeters. (The way they came from Jeep on the 2014's, it almost appears somebody screwed up and used the wrong value of capacitor. It winds up filtering so much of the frequency range out that the tweeters seem to be barely working. Before I did this mod, I couldn't tell any sound was coming from the factory tweeters unless I held my ear right up to one of them. Now, it's obvious they're working while sitting at a normal distance from them in the driver's seat.)

What I haven't done, but thought might be the optimal solution, is buying a pair of the Infinity 6032cs speakers for the front. These are true component speakers, with seperate tweeters and mid-range drivers, plus an electronic crossover you're supposed to wire up in tandem with them.

My thought was, you could at least try using just the midrange drivers out of one of these sets, putting those in the front dash, and leaving the factory tweeters in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode