ESP functions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ESP functions

Forgive me all! I did a search and came up short on this. I know there was some talk about this on the "other" site but I don't go there anymore

Anyway I want to know if anyone has had their ESP functions changed at all? I am well aware of the usefulness and safety of the ESP and I do use it all the time, however I would like to be able to turn it off completely in 2WD. I can shut it off in 4WD HI no problem, just hold the button 7 secs bla bla bla
I know there is the whole steering wheel and hold your tongue the right way trick. But I want something easier like the hold it for 7sec and its off in 2WD.

Anyone done this or have had the dealer do it for them? My dealer is telling me it can't be done, but I suspect that they do not want to do it as it is a liability thing for them or such. I had it done in my Patriot when I had it but that is a full time AWD so it might be different?

Thanks all!

2008 Unlimited Rubicon JK
Detonator Yellow
2" Zone Offroad Spacer lift
SuperWinch LP8500
128CH Kenwood VHF
Cobra 40ch CB
Custom Axe&Shovel holder
Custom Jerry Can Holder
48" Highlift
Air Compressor
Rampage Grab Handles
Congo Rack

"Good roads bring BAD people, Bad roads bring GOOD people"

Was I banned? Hell Ya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eddie is an Ass Clown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ask Karn, he snipped a wire. Not sure which wire, others have put a toggle switch in this place.

Besides what could be easier than the Steering wheel hokey pokey, lol.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Rock God

You mean like an ESP kill switch?

I copied these off of jk-forums. I haven't tried them yet (but will this summer), and can't be held responsible if it kills your jeep, etc, etc... however ppl in that thread said it worked.

Quote:
I'm not sure why the thread disappeared, but it was removed. I will let the moderators determine if it should be here or not. If they see fit, they can edit this post.....

Okay here you go, this is the exact instructions that I copied from that post that has mysteriously been deleted. I don't remember the forum member that posted them, but this is HIS instructions. To clarify, what I found,..just make sure it is the Purple wire with the thin light blue stripe. Follow the directions as close as you can as outlined below. Sorry I don't have any pics. Good luck.....I got it on the first try....I will add that, I keep my jeep on factory settings for on road use, as I prefer to keep ABS activated, but only use this aftermarket custom feature for offroad use......

I am not encouraging or condoning anyone to do this, nor am I responsible for any issues that could arise after that resulted from doing this mod, but merely forwarding the original posted information on how to....Use at your own discretion on and off road hereafter... see below original post...

cheers,

Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Once complete, when you want to switch the ESP you just flick the switch off. When you flip the switch the three lights on the dash will turn on and stay on until you turn your Jeep off and start it again. The ESP and ABS will remain disabled until you turn the switch back on, turn off and restart the Jeep.

Tools/supplies needed: wire cutter, wire stripper, razor knife, soldering iron, solder, couple feet of wire, drill, toggle switch, electrical tape.

*note* I soldered all the joints but you could use crimp style connectors if thats your cup of tea.

-First figure out where you are going to mount your switch and cut two pieces of wire long enough to run from the spliced joints to the.
-Remove panel below steering wheel. You really only need to do this if you are going to put your switch in the same area as I did.
-Locate the bundle of wires on the right side of the foot-well. Mine was not tapped up – If yours is, you will need to remove the tape using a razor knife or similar
-Locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. (you will see another purple sire with a dark blue stripe so make sure you get the light blue one) There are several wires that are close, but you should be able to pick it out easily. Once you are confident you have the correct wire – cut it!
-Now is a good time to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. If you have cut the correct wire there should be three lights that stay illuminated: esp/abs/the sliding vehicle
-Prepare the wire you just cut by striping and then tinning the ends with solder. Also, strip and tin the new lengths of wire you are going to run to the switch. Once you have them prepared, solder the wires together.
-Wrap the soldered joints with electrical tape.
-Drill a hole in the dash to mount the switch. Route the spliced wires through the dash and to the area you are mounting your switch. I mounted mine on the dash above the speaker. I’m not detailing how to get access to the back of this area as it’s easy to pull the vent out and pop of the side panel.
-Solder the wires to the toggle switch. The lead that is running towards the rear of the Jeep is attached to pin 1.
-Slide the toggle switch through the hole and put on the retaining nut.
-Put the Dash back together.
-I also wrapped the bundle of wires up with electrical tape because I wanted to keep my work tucked away so to speak"

Last edited by Riptide; 01-28-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info! I might do this in the summer. Or wait till the warranty is up first Anyway thanks for digging that out for me. I appreciate it.
Chris

2008 Unlimited Rubicon JK
Detonator Yellow
2" Zone Offroad Spacer lift
SuperWinch LP8500
128CH Kenwood VHF
Cobra 40ch CB
Custom Axe&Shovel holder
Custom Jerry Can Holder
48" Highlift
Air Compressor
Rampage Grab Handles
Congo Rack

"Good roads bring BAD people, Bad roads bring GOOD people"

Was I banned? Hell Ya

Eddie is an Ass Clown
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Granite Guru

anyone other than me try this? I followed the directions, yet my ESP and Traction control lights turn off regardless if the switch is in the on or off position.

Thanks!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconnole View Post
anyone other than me try this? I followed the directions, yet my ESP and Traction control lights turn off regardless if the switch is in the on or off position.
I haven't (sadly no time this summer). But when you snipped the wire, the ESP went off? That would mean you snipped the right wire. As for the switch, I've heard of someone using a relay so the switch could be lighted (but I don't know how he did that). If you're just using a simple 2 prong switch you should just be able to wire both ends to it. You're aware that you need to turn the JK off/on (with the switch on) before ESP will start working again?

If that doesn't work, remove/unhook the switch and attach the wires together again. See if that allows the ESP to work - it should. If it does, then I would assume it's an issue with the switch.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I haven't (sadly no time this summer). But when you snipped the wire, the ESP went off? That would mean you snipped the right wire. As for the switch, I've heard of someone using a relay so the switch could be lighted (but I don't know how he did that). If you're just using a simple 2 prong switch you should just be able to wire both ends to it. You're aware that you need to turn the JK off/on (with the switch on) before ESP will start working again?

If that doesn't work, remove/unhook the switch and attach the wires together again. See if that allows the ESP to work - it should. If it does, then I would assume it's an issue with the switch.
So I figured it out, and thought I should pass on the info to others. It turns out than there are two Purple/light blue stripe wires, or at least, there is on my 2007 X Unlimited. after resottering the "front" wire I dug a little deeper into the harness and found a second one. One snip, and everything worked as advertised!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

ditto.

i did mine a while back. i did it the "hard" way and cut the wire a few inches right at the accelerometer under the console. plus, it was closer to where i wanted to put my switch. less wire.

switch in "on" position, all is normal...

flip it to "off"...
esp / bas lights on.. abs light on.

the only bad thing is that abs ceases to function as well. stays that way until you shut the jeep down and flip the switch back on.

i bill it as a offroad-only mod. but it does work.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #9 of 12 Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Rock God

PleaseResearch the write up section. Jk2010 has made a write up on cutting wires and I did one for the steering wheel holky polky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post

the only bad thing is that abs ceases to function as well. stays that way until you shut the jeep down and flip the switch back on.

i bill it as a offroad-only mod. but it does work.

So why not do the holky polky and still have all that? Plus if anything happens to your jeep, insurance is gonna say sucks for you, you took out a safety device, then what. I did the steering wheel jig (write up section) and I still have my air bags and abs, just no esp. And the esp is turned off all together so you can do donuts and such.

If you have a 2007, I was told they can update your firmware so you can do the trick.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

Last edited by Monster Jk; 01-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-15-2011, 08:07 AM

I hated the esp thing for a little while.. I Have an 07 and as far as I know I can't shut it off completely by doing the steering wheel thing. but i dunno if everyone quite understands how it works. if you are in 2wd and you push the esp off button the light will be on it will be off so you can play around in the snow or whatever , do donuts, spin like crazy and will only kick in over 40 mph. Usually (pretty much always IMO) esp is a good thing if you have wheel spin over 40 mph. Maybe hit some black ice some where or something cruisin down the highway. i just push the button when ever, for whatever reason I want it off and if i feel unsafe i shouldn't be doin over 40 anyway. Seems to make sense to me and the simplest solution. i was gonna do the kill switch thing until i realized how it actually works now I have do probs with it at all. If ever on a trail or gravel road i'm never doin over 40 so i can shut it off .
post #11 of 12 Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Rock God

My 2010 has a switch. I can shit it off any time.
But I don't.
The stock MT's have a built in disadvantage on wet roads to start with. The ESP makes up for that.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Rock God

You guys do understand that you can't completely shut it off unless you do the steering wheel dance or interupt the ciruit with the switch right? Pressing the ESP button turns it partly off, and holding it down for 7 seconds turns it mostly off. But neither of those are completely off. In addition the ABS and BAS will still be on.

You don't do this for on road use, but for off road use.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode