is it acceptable to crimp to wires into one terminal? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-28-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

is it acceptable to crimp two wires into one terminal?

I'm going to be wiring up a switch panel composed of 4 switches soon. (3) SPST and (1) DPDT.

there will be 3 wires always hot, and 6 ground wires. I considered using a small busbar, but space is limited behind the dash. If I can make a proper connection, is it acceptable to merge like wires together in order to limit the amount of wires in the bundle?

for the power wires, I would just put 2 tails on each the blade terminals. Probably the same idea for the 3 SPST grounds, and the 3 grounds on the DPDT, then just merge the 2 grounds into 1 main via butt connector.

I'm thinking 18g wire, with 16g for the main power and ground. they will be running of an aux fuse panel mounted where an Spod source would be placed.

Also, does my rough diagram here appear correct? the switches from left to right will be driving lights - fog lights - winch power - winch in/out.

edit: I think the DPDT switch will be configured so that the brown and orange wire should be switched. also found a picture example of what I am referring to:

Last edited by shefferk; 09-28-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Granite Guru

Yes you can chain two wires in one connector, as long as the combined amperage doesn't exceed that of the feed wire.

Haven't wired that type of switch yet but for reversing polarity, this is what I found. Maybe someone else will jump in who has done it before.

http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-...-reversing-po/

2014 JK Sport, auto, 35x12.5x17, 3.73s.

I jeep therefore I am.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-28-2014, 04:09 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The trick to what you're wanting to do is making sure the gauge of wire used will:

A.) Be sized properly for each load and all loads on the main line side wire feeding all of the daisy chain loads.
B.) Can still be crimped together into a suitable crimp terminal.

I usually solder and heat shrink stuff like that, but that may not be an option for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes, I absolutely plan to solder and heat shrink. I'm very particular about my wiring.

I've read the LED's in the switch draw roughly 0.2a, so even a liberal estimate of 2 amps on the circuit would be well within specs for a 16g wire.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefferk View Post
Yes, I absolutely plan to solder and heat shrink. I'm very particular about my wiring.

I've read the LED's in the switch draw roughly 0.2a, so even a liberal estimate of 2 amps on the circuit would be well within specs for a 16g wire.
Agreed. 16 may even be overkill. But better safe than sorry.

2014 JK Sport, auto, 35x12.5x17, 3.73s.

I jeep therefore I am.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2014, 04:42 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

^ x2, my frame of thought. I went 8ga to the fused distribution, 14 ga to relays, and 18ga to each LED load. 16 is going to be trouble free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Rock God

EDIT -

If you're using relays, I've seen several switch-pod people use a shared ground (12 Volt Guy does it, as do sPod) but they don't share hots wires at all, each of them run a separate hot to the switch and a separate wire back. If you are running off relays, the amp load is very small and you could use even smaller-gauge wire, like 20. But only if you are running off relays.

Last edited by Jonboy; 09-28-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode