Back up camera - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Back up camera

I just bought a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon before Christmas, and was wondering if the UConnect NAV system has inputs in the back to hook up a rear-mount back up camera.
Anybody know or might have already done this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The only way I know of to use a backup camera with the MyGIG is to install the Lockpick system. I haven't researched this in a while, but last I checked it was a little pricey. I am still interested in doing the same, but ain't about to spend an assload of money on it.

Maybe somebody has a better/cheaper method by now.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Rock God

I have the Nav-TV Allgig usb with the rear camera install and it works great. You may want to check them out.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Wheeler

Go to the Jeep dealer and buy the back-up camera for the Commander, comes with install instructions, then you have to get the dealer to starscan it to operate. Very nice system. Oh yeah, some minor electrical hook up.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTRAIL View Post
Go to the Jeep dealer and buy the back-up camera for the Commander, comes with install instructions, then you have to get the dealer to starscan it to operate. Very nice system. Oh yeah, some minor electrical hook up.
Will that work with the older Mygigs? Mine's an 07.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTRAIL View Post
So, you're saying that I can plug this camera into the back of my NAV system, hook up some power, have the dealer starscan (?) it, and it will work?
Correct?
How much is it?

2010 Unlimited Rubicon - Black
post #7 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to 08RubiUnlimited

If I remember right, the Commander cam is about $150-$160, plus figure at least another $50 or so to StarScan it.

Instead, I opted to get the LockPick from navandtv2go on eBay for $199, including the A/V harness. I then shopped and picked up 2 small keyhole cams, one rear and one front, and drilled the bumper to mount them. The thing about this solution is that I didn't have to go to the dealer, and I get all the following:

- Nav system unlocked so I can input stuff whenever I want
- Front DVD video in motion so my wife can watch on longer trips
- Ability to add front cam for obsticle watching while wheeling, as well as park aid
- Ability to view rear cam any time, nice when towing a trailer
- Ability to add rear headrest monitors, for when my son is older and wants to watch
- Rear headrests can be dual zoned, i.e he watches a movie while we listen to the iPod
- Ability to have AV input, so I can watch movies on my iPhone and have them on screen.

The ability to do it myself and the extra features was worth the small additional price to me.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 AM
TJT
Rock God

Yup, go with the LockPick. I was just reading through the instructions and it sounds like there's so much more to it as far as abilities. To me, I bought it for the ability to use the NAV in Motion, the rest is a bonus.

I got my lockpick off ebay from MrCd1, great to deal with and he charges $200 for the Lockpick and the "optional harness" is included.

He directed me over to tvandnav2go.com for the cameras. They sell four different cameras, all at $100 ea. I still have the email they sent me with pics of each one pm me your email and I can send it your way. I bought the "drill through" model that I am going to put in my AEV rear bumper just above the receiver hitch.

TonyT.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I won't to do this also.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #10 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Granite Guru

I have the allgig from Navtv. It works awesome and was cheapest option for what you get. Call Susanne at 15619559770?119.

2008 Silver 4dr Rubi - 4.5" Rubicon Express Longarm, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's, Dick Cepek DC-1(blk) 17x9, Prorock 44, ARB frt locker, RCV's (frt), Superior Chromoly Axle shafts (rear), Prosteer ball joints, 5.38 Yukon gears, RR Hydro-Assist, etc, etc, etc......
Wheeling Trips:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to 08RubiUnlimited

The AllGig is nice, but I can't see how it's the cheapest option. Cheapest I saw was $250, But I got my Lockpick for $199 through navandtv2go. Also, the LockPick can do dual zone for the VES, including the audio, whereas the Allgig can only do video out, no audio.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

I bought the commander camera after I researched on the "other forum" someone made this work. It does NOT come with install instructions. My dealer wants $400 plus to hook it up. Been to 2 other dealers who won't do it. I'm ready to go with the lockpic. Any takers on the camera, maybe your dealer will install and starscan
post #13 of 18 Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Wheeler

Don't give up. Go to MOPAR ACCESSORIES look for the backup camera for the Commander and the instructions are there. You may have to hunt around a bit for it. The only thing the instructions dont show is where to tap into the reverse wire, but its in the scematic. Then you will have to find a willing dealer to starscan it. Good luck.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Wheeler

I went with lockpic. And love it. I can watch movies while driving, I can turn on the camera while going forward. I like to turn it on and watch guys behind me while going off road. Voice activated nav and cell is great. I have around $300 with camera and lockpic installed.

2008 JK Rubicon 4" Lift
37" x 12.5 x 18s
LOD Offroad Bumpers and Rails
Back up Camera
Nav/Dvd
Smitty Built Winch

It's a Rock Get Over It!!!
post #15 of 18 Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Rock God

I thought one of the newer nav updates unlocked the back up cam option in the engineering menu even if you did not have a lockpic or allgig?!

I think with the newer software all you have to do is plug in a back up cam and choose the option in the engineering menu.

post #16 of 18 Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I thought one of the newer nav updates unlocked the back up cam option in the engineering menu even if you did not have a lockpic or allgig?!

I think with the newer software all you have to do is plug in a back up cam and choose the option in the engineering menu.
Not that I know of - my MyGIG RER is updated with the latest software and all it added was a Wifi page for the expensive WiFi module/service. The microphone is activated by the Engineering Menu.

http://mofv.com/mygig/ is the place the community seems to exchange information - there is a forum link in the upper left.

If it was me, I'd get the TVandNav2Go lockpick with AV harness for $199 to make the camera work - add some rock cams too.

The only downside of the lockpick I have found is the MyGIG connectors have to be firmly seated - they have a bad habit of coming slightly loose over time.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #17 of 18 Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

Has anyone done a write up on this somewhere? Pics of the install?
post #18 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

this site was referenced in another thread and makes it all look very easy...
http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode