Flick Flick - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Flick Flick

Does anyone have any experience with ET's Anti-Flicker kits? I'm currently running them with Amazon LED headlights and I still have a flicker problem. I'm leaning more towards the problems being with the Flicker kits mainly because of the construction of them. The connectors are cheap which caused a lot of problems during installation...

http://www.extremeterrain.com/lifeti...-jk-h13rh.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUWILLY View Post
Does anyone have any experience with ET's Anti-Flicker kits? I'm currently running them with Amazon LED headlights and I still have a flicker problem. I'm leaning more towards the problems being with the Flicker kits mainly because of the construction of them. The connectors are cheap which caused a lot of problems during installation...

http://www.extremeterrain.com/lifeti...-jk-h13rh.html
That part is made by Lifetime LED which is a company known for quality. I think they'll work well for you and I wouldn't expect any issues with the connectors. If you'd like to try a set, I can send some out to you free of charge if you'll do an honest review of the part on the forum here and also on our site. Pm me with your info if you're interested!

-Ryan

Jake R. |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Off-Road Outfitters

Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me for our JKOwners Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
post #3 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

Our JK's really need both a resistor (to make the bulb check happy) AND a capacitor (to bridge the gaps in the PWM pulses and eliminate the flicker)

Looking at the part, I only see the resistor.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Our JK's really need both a resistor (to make the bulb check happy) AND a capacitor (to bridge the gaps in the PWM pulses and eliminate the flicker)

I agree with you. I hear that this part fixes the flickering issue but I don't see a cap in the pictures either. I'm going to look into it further and see what they have to say. I'll let you know what I find!

-Ryan

Jake R. |
Off-Road Outfitters

post #5 of 7 Old 09-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

According to Lifetime LED only a resistor is needed to keep the lights from flashing. The flickering is caused by the CANBUS system thinking you have a blown bulb because of the lack of resistance given by the LED. The system "checks" to see if the circuit has resistance 10 times/second which causes the flicker. The resistor tells the CANBUS that they bulbs are intact and there is no flickering. Let me know if that wasn't clear!

Bottom line is that a cap isn't needed to stop the flickering, just a resistor.

-Ryan

Jake R. |
Off-Road Outfitters

post #6 of 7 Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

Well, I hate to break it to you, but that is wrong. A resistor will do nothing to fill in the gaps from the pulse width modulation that feeds our lights. Basically the power to the headlights is switched off and on rapidly (why... I do not know.) it does this all the time, not just when "checking" the bulb.

With a heated filament the "off"cycle is not sufficiently long enough to allow the filament to cool down, and it remains hot and bright. LEDs do not rely on heat to emit light, so when the pulse is in the "off" cycle the LEDs go out completely, causing visible flicker. The resistor does absolutely nothing to solve that problem, all it does is add a load that the CANBUS "sees" during the "on" cycle, fooling into thinking a 1 watt LED is really a 35watt incandecent bulb.

Wheras, capacitor will store a small amount of electricity, feeding it back into the circuit during the "off" phase of the cycle, keeping the LEDs lit. Without it, just as the OP has stated, you'll have flicker.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #7 of 7 Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Well, I hate to break it to you, but that is wrong. A resistor will do nothing to fill in the gaps from the pulse width modulation that feeds our lights. Basically the power to the headlights is switched off and on rapidly (why... I do not know.) it does this all the time, not just when "checking" the bulb.

With a heated filament the "off"cycle is not sufficiently long enough to allow the filament to cool down, and it remains hot and bright. LEDs do not rely on heat to emit light, so when the pulse is in the "off" cycle the LEDs go out completely, causing visible flicker. The resistor does absolutely nothing to solve that problem, all it does is add a load that the CANBUS "sees" during the "on" cycle, fooling into thinking a 1 watt LED is really a 35watt incandecent bulb.

Wheras, capacitor will store a small amount of electricity, feeding it back into the circuit during the "off" phase of the cycle, keeping the LEDs lit. Without it, just as the OP has stated, you'll have flicker.
I understand the purpose of a resistor or capacitor in the circuit. I don't have a strong understanding of how the CANBUS works or why the lights flicker. The explanation from Lifetime about "checking" for a bulb made sense to me but in light of your explanation it's cloudy again. I'm going to get back in touch with them and see what they say.

On a side note, they sell a lot of these harness and they work to eliminate the flickering. We just have to figure out how and why they work!

Edit: Upon further research, the PWM that is done by the CANBUS system is designed to increase bulb life, which supports your statement that it happens all the time. The Truck-Lite anti-flicker harness includes a cap to work as you've described. I'm still waiting on a response from Lifetime to explain why their harnesses don't include one and why they still work.

Edit 2: Lifetime stopped responding to my questions about why their harness works without a capacitor. They only stated that the harness "work quite well". My only thought is that the Lifetime LED bulbs that this harness is designed to work with include their own capacitor. That would mean the harness only needs a resistor to trick the system into thinking a higher draw bulb is present. That may mean that Lifetime is correct in that their resistor harness is designed to stop flickering from bulb "checking" because the LED bulbs they designed the harness to work with already have a capacitor in them to solve the PWM flicker. If this is the case my initial suggestion to use this harness with the LED headlights would be incorrect, unless the bulbs have their own capacitor built in. Sorry for the confusion!

-Ryan

Jake R. |
Off-Road Outfitters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode