Electrical Harness Through Firewall - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Electrical Harness Through Firewall

I am adding fog/driving lights to my 08 JK. Everything is mounted and wiring harness is complete. Now the ---- do I get the harness through the firewall. I found the rubber gramet on the passenger side and I am going to put the switch on the removable panel below the hazard lights. Again, how do I get the harness through the firewall.
Taking my time so I don't screw it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

I poked all of my wires thru the drivers side rubber gromet by attatching the wires to a long screwdriver with a piece of tape.
I didn't do them ALL at once though. I had to do a few at a time.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Granite Guru

I ran the sPod harness through the driver's side firewall, but for the heavy-gauge shit, (radios, inverter, etc,) I pulled the battery tray out, and ran wires through the main harness gasket on the passenger side. If you plan for the future, It's a better location imho - more watertight, closer to the battery, and easier access from the cabin side.

it takes a couple hours just to de & re the whole battery tray though, so plan for your future upgrades first, and run all your wires at once. besides, you don't want to strip & retape your harness gasket too many times either.

to get through the driver's side, straighten out a wire coathanger, and push it down through the firewall hole. in the cabin, pull the dahboard side-plate, and watch for the coathanger. pass it out through the side panel, attach your wires, and pull the coathanger back through the firewall into the engine bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Theres a way easier way.....
Take off the little panel on the driver side dash by the door. Look in there and you will see some expanding foam. This is filling a hole to the engine compartment. Get a clothes hanger and poke your wires through. Takes 2 minutes tops.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 11:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I did all mine through the passenger side... works just as good... if I need to run anymore, I'll have to go through the drivers side.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 AM
JKowners Vendor

I agree that the grommet on the drivers side is the easy access.
Attached Images

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

that's how I did mine....then as I connected items to the sPOD, I ran extended wiring from the sPOD through the same hole into the cabin using a metal hanger with wires taped using duct tape, pulled it through the holes, and then saudered it to the item I wanted to connect to the sPOD. After the wires were connected, I then connected the wire to the sPOD. Going this way allowed for me to connect extension wire to the devices and ensure a proper fit to the sPOD Source location without lots of wiring (especially since I am going to line the tub and not want lots of wiring hanging/coiled up on the tub for people to trip on).

U.S. Army
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 02:36 AM
Rock God

I think im going to run mine a little lower. I have an automatic and there is a hole below the grommet everone else uses. Seems a little easier to get to. I think it's for the clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode