Jeep Wrangler 6 Speed won't start - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jeep Wrangler 6 Speed won't start

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport 6 speed, manual, with a soft top. I have had the doors off, put the doors back on two weeks ago. Vehicle started fine, drove fine, radio worked fine, turning signals worked, brake lights worked, interior lights worked. Everything worked fine with no indication of impending issue.

Friday afternoon I drove to Fizzolis on 54th and Wadsworth from my home in Lakewood. I parked out front, went inside and grabbed some dinner. Was inside for about 20 minutes. I came out to the Jeep opened the door and got in, no indication that there was an issue. I put the key in and went to start the Jeep. It made one crank and then clicked. Almost like I let out the clutch. I turned the Jeep to off took the key out put the Jeep in neutral. I went to start the Jeep again and it does one single click then nothing.

I repeated the process for about 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes was up it was at the point where the Jeep wouldn't even click when attempting to start. Also the lights wouldn't turn on, the radio wouldn't work, and nothing was working. I assumed it was the battery was dying or dead.

I have the stock battery from it and it has been in the vehicle since new. I figure the battery is dead or too weak to start it.

Tracked down someone inside that would let me sit with my battery connect to their vehicle via jumper cables.

Left the Jeep on it for 20 minutes. The lights work, and the radio work I also have interior lights. I attempted to start again but only a single click each time I turn the key.

Off to look at the jeep again while I am working. updates will follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

No expert here, but does your jeep have some sort of chip/anti-theft piece in the key?

If so, then something is interfering with the BCM/Security system and will not allow the jeep to start. My camaro Z28 (before my SS) did the exact same thing when the wires on the chip reader when out. I couldn't start the car.

Good luck on figuring the issue out. When you do, please let us all know.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #3 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Granite Guru

I had a similar issue, the only difference being that eventually it would start again after trying for a long time. It was my starter that was going and had a bad spot or something but once it got past that it could start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It does have a chipped key... I believe most if not all newer vehicles do. However I have bought my spare key to work and the same issue with the spare key.

I am heading out to unhook the battery and leave it off for an hour or so.

This is what the gauge cluster shows after a few minuets of trying to start.
20140905_184130 by jchurch, on Flickr

Last edited by jchurch; 09-07-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Different photo attached, larger in size
post #5 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 05:58 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Have you taken a DMM to the battery to check the voltage? Have you checked the connections to the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I had a similar issue but a couple dash-lights would illuminate and the windshield-wipers would slowly cycle as I kept trying to start it. In my Jeeps case it turned out to be a loose ground-wire. After tightened-up, the Jeep has been starting up fine for a few months now... no issue.

Could be:

bad ground ( loose, corroded, or frayed ground wire)
TIPM issue
front electric sway-bar fuse issue ( scratch that as I see you don't have a Rubicon)
bad starter
clutch issue

I would also check your battery cables for excessive corrosion or any looseness of the cables to the terminals. You might want to also replace the button-battery in your ignition key. Have the Jeep scanned asap for any active codes. Also look into having a service tech re-flash the computer ( check for updates) when or if you are able to get it into a dealership. If you still can't get it started today, you might also try disconnecting both battery cables, touch them together and re-connect them to the battery before trying to start it again.

Good luck.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Wheeler

I would definitely check the battery connections, as well as the rest of the grounds to the starter, and chassis. Then if they were all good, i would suspect the battery itself,(in fact I would have gotten rid of that ages ago).
post #8 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No corrosion anywhere Jeep is kept clean and well taken care of.

Noticed today if I get in and just turn the key to on it does have the flashing check engine light. I suspect there are some codes I can get.

Anyone have a scanner I could use? I am without a car till Monday.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

If you want to use someone's scan-gauge then you might go ahead and post up in the Colorado regional section and/ or the wanted section. I would suggest putting the words "to borrow briefly" in the title... or something to that effect.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #10 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If you want to use someone's scan-gauge then you might go ahead and post up in the Colorado regional section and/ or the wanted section. I would suggest putting the words "to borrow briefly" in the title... or something to that effect.
Thanks.
post #11 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here is the video of trying to start, and of what the random lights are.

http://youtu.be/QGGyJX_esNo

Parking brake is on, I am not wearing a seat belt. So those should be normal lights.
post #12 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Have you taken a DMM to the battery to check the voltage? Have you checked the connections to the battery?
Tested with a battery tester. When issues started battery said 85% and 12.5 volts.

Placed on charger last night and it was 100% when we took it off the charger I believe the volts were 13.5 or 13. I don't have the charger here with me tonight.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 07:18 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Start checking fuses and relays, physically pull each one and check it for anything odd. Then the next step would be checking for voltage at the starter and at the starter solenoid. (Two man job). Worth a shot also, smack the starter with a dead blow hammer and see if it will start. Sounds odd, but you could be sitting on a bad winding in the starter motor.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #14 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Wheeler

It may say the battery is good, but being 4 years old alone would make it suspect in my opinion. It sure sounds like a battery issue from all the posts I have read about no start and electrical problems, along with some 57 years of experience.
You might spend a lot of time and money chasing down a problem that does not exist. A battery swap will at least rule out one problem for certain, and trust me, a 4 year old OEM battery is not something you want to put a lot of trust in! A lot of bad batteries show good voltage but have no
juice under load.

Last edited by wrangled; 09-07-2014 at 08:07 PM.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 08:17 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

^^^ I'm leaning his direction, but ruling out through deduction never hurts. My OEM is going on 3.5, but I do maintenance charging on it because my Jeep sits a lot. But I figure past 4 years it will get replaced with something better.

Quote:
post #16 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Battery is what everyone I have talked to seems to think. It was my first idea thought also. then I thought starter.

I will get a battery in the AM and see what they say.

Here is a photo of the battery.

20140907_182357 by jchurch, on Flickr

Jeep does sit alot. 2010 with 28.2k miles, I work 3 days a week and drive less than 20 miles round trip each day I work. When I am off it gets driven more but most of those miles are it going to and from trails and work.
post #17 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Rock God

Like wrangled said, 4-5 years out of an original battery is good life. It might say it has 13vdc, but it's a lie. Put a load to it and watch it lose all the wind in its sails.

I notice it's not a sealed battery. How's the fluid level?
Also noticed the Pos terminal disconnected but not the Neg? General practice is to disconnect the Neg before the Pos.

Last edited by funfred; 09-07-2014 at 10:08 PM.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

good thinking... I just disconnect stuff... I am crazy like that. Rest assured it is all hooked back up now.

I don't know how the fluid is... I will check it in a minute or two.

My plan is to hit up an autoparts store tomorrow. Pick up a battery, see if they will hook me up with a code reader. then I will come to work check the code (assuming there is a code) and depending on what the code is I will swap the battery and see if it fixes the problem.

I am thinking about an optima battery, like a yellow top.
post #19 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 10:35 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Sears Diehard Gold AGM. Optima is not quality like it used to be. My last two work truck batteries were Optima and they both lasted around a year and a half.

Quote:
post #20 of 30 Old 09-07-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Sears Diehard Gold AGM. Optima is not quality like it used to be. My last two work truck batteries were Optima and they both lasted around a year and a half.
Quick internet search shows the same... I will hit up sears to get one. Anyone know if they have scan tools they rent or loan out?
post #21 of 30 Old 09-08-2014, 05:29 AM

All the major auto parts stores should have code readers to barrow. Just make sure you bring a credit card with a large available credit with you. They take the purchase price of the tool as a deposit and will put a hold on your account until you return the tool. The last time I did this it put a $380 hold on my checking account. Not cool.
Also, not sure if you said you did or not, but you can take your old battery up there and have them load test it. Find out for sure if its good or bad. If its bad it saves you needing the code scanner for now. Pulling the old battery will clear the codes so you won't pull any anyway.
post #22 of 30 Old 09-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Granite Guru

Im very new to the JK. From your above picture of the gauges all at flat line while trying to start, look at the TDC sensor. When that sensor went on my 95 ZJ, all of the gauges did the same thing. I have no idea if the JK is the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto

COI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 30 Old 09-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangled View Post
It may say the battery is good, but being 4 years old alone would make it suspect in my opinion. It sure sounds like a battery issue from all the posts I have read about no start and electrical problems, along with some 57 years of experience.
You might spend a lot of time and money chasing down a problem that does not exist. A battery swap will at least rule out one problem for certain, and trust me, a 4 year old OEM battery is not something you want to put a lot of trust in! A lot of bad batteries show good voltage but have no
juice under load.
Try and optima red top! I've been running mine for a couple years with no problem. Also, that super cold winter we just had could be a good reason why your battery is junk. Don't try and save money, just buy a new battery. It's gonna need one soon even if it's not the problem now. And to Wrangled, how do you have 57 years of exp when your only 57 years old?!?!? Wrenching before you could even hold your head up?!?!? Pretty crazy... Sorry, it's just annoying when people say that.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #24 of 30 Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
Try and optima red top! I've been running mine for a couple years with no problem. Also, that super cold winter we just had could be a good reason why your battery is junk. Don't try and save money, just buy a new battery. It's gonna need one soon even if it's not the problem now. And to Wrangled, how do you have 57 years of exp when your only 57 years old?!?!? Wrenching before you could even hold your head up?!?!? Pretty crazy... Sorry, it's just annoying when people say that.
I never said what I had experience in, but clearly living 57 years has afforded me some experience in a great many things, including people who sit and wait to pounce on anything someone else says, simply because it makes them feel superior. That annoys me!
post #25 of 30 Old 09-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Rock God

Oh yeah, because razzing you makes me feel like King of the world..... Glad to see your age has afforded you a thick skin also.... Try being a little realistic, maybe 45 years of exp.... Sorry, that comment is just to dumb to want to rubattal, especially when you can't even take it as a joke....

Church, I ya still have my number, I'll try and go through some ideas with ya.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode