routing coax and cb related questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
routing coax and cb related questions

im gonna run my coax when i get the chan and i was wondering the best route.im mounting it by the drivers knee and i have the coax routed throught the tail gate already.

im wondering if i should follow the stock wire from the right rear panel area then turning it to the left in front of the rear bench and then turning right in between the center console and drivers seat to the cb. does it matter the routing? if it gets stepped on will it mess up? if the carpets out do you just have the wire visible and running to the radio?

its a 2dr

how would you guys do it?

on another note is the jk positive or negate based grounding system?
it says it can run of any 12 volt source. can i splice the power cord into a phone charger thing so i can plug it in and out?

is there a way to be able to take the cb out and put it back in without having to tune it everytime?
can i take teh antenna on and off without having to tune it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
im gonna run my coax when i get the chan and i was wondering the best route.im mounting it by the drivers knee and i have the coax routed throught the tail gate already.

im wondering if i should follow the stock wire from the right rear panel area then turning it to the left in front of the rear bench and then turning right in between the center console and drivers seat to the cb. does it matter the routing? if it gets stepped on will it mess up? if the carpets out do you just have the wire visible and running to the radio?

its a 2dr

how would you guys do it?

on another note is the jk positive or negate based grounding system?
it says it can run of any 12 volt source. can i splice the power cord into a phone charger thing so i can plug it in and out?

is there a way to be able to take the cb out and put it back in without having to tune it everytime?
can i take teh antenna on and off without having to tune it?
Route it any way you want keeping it away from any amplified speaker wires.

The Jeep is a Negative ground system.

Once the system is set you can remove the antenna without tuning as long as you dont mess with the tuner. They do sell quick disconnects for antennas but you will have to watch it, it makes it very easy for them to walk.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

I was talking to John from sPOD and he suggested running wires that are used in the rear through the frame rails. It was too late fro me as I had already ran several electrical wires and cb coax along the right side with the other factory wires, but it was a GOOD idea. I think when ever it is that I decide to spray some bed liner in, I will redo the wiring in the rear like he suggested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd run the coax along the passenger side.

You can easily tuck it under the carpet and the trim and it wont be visible at all.
Dont step on it.
Keep it away from any power wires (amp, etc)
You can remove it without tuning it again

you can also cut all the zip ties and put it into the factory wire loom if you want. I have mine tucked in real well and have a herculined tub, you cant tell its there at all.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Granite Guru

I ran mine up the roll bars, under the padding. I don't know if the 2drs have the same rear crossbar as the 4dr, but if it does, you've got a clean run straight to the A pillar, where you then drop down into the dash.

Don't run your CB off the Cigarette lighter if you can help it - Straight from the battery to a fuse, across the engine bay to the driver's side, through the firewall, into a NOISE FILTER, and then to the radio is what I'd do, given your chosen location. maybe it's just my radio being too sensitive, but the white noise from the Alternator/CanBus was terrible on mine without a decent power supply filter.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 03:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

X2 on the + & - straight to battery with a fuse on the +. If you plug it into the cigarette lighter you'll more than likely pick up noise from the alternator.

As for the coax, I ran mine under the console, under the front of the passenger seat (just behind the front seat brackets & stuffed it in the factory loom) into the factory plastic that runs near the door sill, around the B pillar and again into the factory wire loom all the way back to the tailgate. Definitely keep it out of areas where it can get stepped on or abraided. Unless you just like to replace coax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

alright thanks for all the help guys we like zipties so we will probably go that route.

so you just have the wires running directly to the battery leads?

post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Rock God

I have a main 8 gauge wire coming into my cab that is fused which is what I run mine off of. I have since tied that into my fogs as well. I figured that an 8 gauge wire could handle all of that so I'm not too worried about it
post #9 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
alright thanks for all the help guys we like zipties so we will probably go that route.

so you just have the wires running directly to the battery leads?
if by direct, you mean "Ring terminals crimped & soldered, with heatshrink liberally applied," then yes, direct to the battery terminals.

This is just a pic of my sPod install, but you can see where the leads connect to the battery terminals. all my radios take power from the same terminals.

If you really need it, I can take a pic of the current mess tomorrow.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thsnkd for the pic thats what i nneded to see that looks good to me.

got all my carpet out and ran the coax i didnt ziptie it in yet i might not need too its in pretty good and as soon as it hits the passenger side pillar you dont even see it until you get to the cb bracket its the pefect distance.

two door needs 20 feet if you wanna do it out of the way and comfortably to the driver side knee.

we are still thinking if we wanna put the carpet back in or not i personally like it but my parents gotta like it too

post #11 of 11 Old 01-16-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

got my cb grounded hooked to the battery grounded my antenna and put in the rear carpet. im gonna tune it monday

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode