TIPM shit the bed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
TIPM shit the bed

Well the Jeep is dead in her track i guess the TIPM doesnt want to work any more.

I pulled the fuel pump out and tested it and it works fine

Not having a warranty sucks sometimes

www.jeepasylum.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I'm on my 3rd TIPM.

Not quite sure what the actual cost is, I do know they charged only 1 hour of labor to replace it, so I'm guessing it's pretty easy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Rock God

That sux! But your Guardian Angel has your back!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
JKowners Vendor

Well, first check your relays within the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) to make sure none of them have failed first.
Does the Jeep crank over and not start? Or is it just plain dead? What lead you to believe the fuel pump is at fault?
I think there was a Safety Recall G25 Reprogram TIPM – Engine Stalling.
Are you tapping any external power from it for electrical accessories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Well the Jeep is dead in her track i guess the TIPM doesnt want to work any more.

I pulled the fuel pump out and tested it and it works fine

Not having a warranty sucks sometimes

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPOD-guy View Post
Well, first check your relays within the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) to make sure none of them have failed first.
Does the Jeep crank over and not start? Or is it just plain dead? What lead you to believe the fuel pump is at fault?
I think there was a Safety Recall G25 Reprogram TIPM – Engine Stalling.
Are you tapping any external power from it for electrical accessories?
I checked all the relays a few times , the jeep cranks but wont start, well there is no fuel pump realy only a fuse in the TIPM and the fuse was good so i replaced the fuse any way and still no solution. So i decided to drop the tank to check the fuel pump hoping it was the fuel pump and I bench tested the fuel pump and it worked fine, so for giggles i put the pump back on the tank and hooked the fuel lines back up and then ran a seprate power to the fuel pump and the Jeep fired right up. so then i traced the whole harness looking for any type of damage and it was all good.

i belive the recall G25 was for rigs built before JAN 07 but i havent had any luck finding the recall

www.jeepasylum.com
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

If it's not under warranty make your own relay harness for the fuel pump. It'll work just fine, anti-theft device too

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 04:12 PM
fnc
Rock God

Did you end up replacing the TIPM yourself? I have to replace mine but the stealership wants $510.00 to do it (no warranty). I have a connection and can get a new TIPM for $165.00 plus shipping. The work itself is easy and it should only take about 10 minutes to swap the TIPM out but I am wondering if I will need to have the thing flashed/re-flashed after doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

Maybe he was thinking TPMS??

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #9 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrazed View Post
Maybe he was thinking TPMS??
Yep, long night!

It should need to be reflashed/coded to the vehicle. I'd imagine you can just get the dealer to do just that if you wanted them to. They did have a programming time allotted when they replaced mine under warranty.

I have a friend I used to work with in Las Vegas that has a friend that works at Jeep (or did) that always did the work on mine. I could probably get the "low-down" on it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

When I get home I can look in the Service repair manual. I remeber reading that it doesnt need to be programmed. There is a procedure to get the PCM to send the TIPM the info it needs. I wish i would have had the manuals before wasting money paying jeep to do nothing.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Here are two things from Chrysler:
INSTALLATION

CAUTION: The original Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be installed and functioning properly prior to powering up the new Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The TIPM receives vehicle configuration data from the CCN and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) information from the PCM. If configuration information becomes lost or corrupted, the data can be obtained from DealerCONNECT

NOTE: Left hand drive gasoline engine shown, left hand drive diesel similar. Right hand drive gasoline and diesel similar with the battery and related components packaged on the left side of the engine compartment.
1. Position the TIPM (1) into the engine compartment.
2. Connect each of the seven TIPM wire harness connectors.
3. Position the TIPM (1) onto the mounting bracket (4) and push down until the mounting clips are fully seated.

4. Position the TIPM positive cable (4) onto the mounting stud and install the retaining nut (2). Tighten the nut to 9 - 11 N·m (80 - 100 in. lbs.).
5. Open the TIPM cover (1) and fully seat the Airbag fuse holder (two fuses in one yellow carrier) and the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse.
6. Connect the battery negative cable.
7. Close the hood.
8. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the “RUN” position and wait twelve seconds. The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the CCN and PCM at this time. After twelve seconds turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position and verify proper vehicle systems operation.

and

PROGRAMMING

1. Install a battery charger.
2. Verify that the charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts.

NOTE: Do not allow the charger to time out during the reconfiguration process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.
3. Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN ethernet cable to the StarSCAN and the dealer's network drop.
4. Connect the CH9404 StarSCAN vehicle cable to the StarSCAN and the vehicle.
5. Place the Ignition in the “RUN” position, then Power “ON” the StarSCAN.
6. Select “ECU View”.
7. Select “TIPMCGW” or "FCMCGW".
8. Select “MISC”.
9. Select “Restore Vehicle Configuration”.
10. Follow prompts on StarSCAN to complete the reconfigure procedure.
11. Once complete, Wait one minute and turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position.
12. Remove the StarSCAN unit, cable and charger from the vehicle.
13. Verify proper operation.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s

Last edited by owtdorz; 04-23-2011 at 11:09 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
Here are two things from Chrysler:
INSTALLATION

CAUTION: The original Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be installed and functioning properly prior to powering up the new Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The TIPM receives vehicle configuration data from the CCN and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) information from the PCM. If configuration information becomes lost or corrupted, the data can be obtained from DealerCONNECT

NOTE: Left hand drive gasoline engine shown, left hand drive diesel similar. Right hand drive gasoline and diesel similar with the battery and related components packaged on the left side of the engine compartment.
1. Position the TIPM (1) into the engine compartment.
2. Connect each of the seven TIPM wire harness connectors.
3. Position the TIPM (1) onto the mounting bracket (4) and push down until the mounting clips are fully seated.

4. Position the TIPM positive cable (4) onto the mounting stud and install the retaining nut (2). Tighten the nut to 9 - 11 N·m (80 - 100 in. lbs.).
5. Open the TIPM cover (1) and fully seat the Airbag fuse holder (two fuses in one yellow carrier) and the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse.
6. Connect the battery negative cable.
7. Close the hood.
8. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the “RUN” position and wait twelve seconds. The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the CCN and PCM at this time. After twelve seconds turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position and verify proper vehicle systems operation.

and

PROGRAMMING

1. Install a battery charger.
2. Verify that the charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts.

NOTE: Do not allow the charger to time out during the reconfiguration process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.
3. Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN ethernet cable to the StarSCAN and the dealer's network drop.
4. Connect the CH9404 StarSCAN vehicle cable to the StarSCAN and the vehicle.
5. Place the Ignition in the “RUN” position, then Power “ON” the StarSCAN.
6. Select “ECU View”.
7. Select “TIPMCGW” or "FCMCGW".
8. Select “MISC”.
9. Select “Restore Vehicle Configuration”.
10. Follow prompts on StarSCAN to complete the reconfigure procedure.
11. Once complete, Wait one minute and turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position.
12. Remove the StarSCAN unit, cable and charger from the vehicle.
13. Verify proper operation.

Thank you. So as long as your not having PCM issues you will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode