Wiring help for the slow guy... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-23-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wiring help for the slow guy...

Hoping I can get some help with wiring my LED lights to both my reverse lights and a switch. I have searched this site and many others but either Im really slow today or I simply havent found what Im looking for.

I just got my switch in from OTRATTW...

http://www.otrattw.com/wiring/G66.pdf

I simply want to use this to turn the lights on during camping trips and hook them up to turn on when in reverse.

Pics would be great so I can print them up and go outside.

Thanks all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

No pics, but I think you're going to have to wire the switch (or better yet a relay) in parallel with your backup light circuit. That will allow you to have the LEDs come on with the backup lights, but also switch them on at will. The only drawback is that this will also turn on your backup lights when you turn on the LEDs. I wouldn't consider that an issue, but you may.

So for the switch in your diagram connect pin 3 to your LEDs (or better, to your relay that actually switches the LEDs), pin 2 to constant 12V (+), Pin 7 to ground, and pin 8 to dash light hot (+). Then connect your LEDs in parallel to the backup bulb and you'll have it licked.

EDIT: Obviously, I don't entirely know how you plan to use this setup, but if you're talking about stationary use, you could just use the shifter for your switch. In other words, just wire the LEDs in parallel with the backup lights, then when you want them on for camping, turn on the key (do not start it), set the parking brake, chock the wheels, and put it in reverse. Maybe not as elegant in the moment, but a far less complicated installation.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 08-23-2014 at 02:08 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Granite Guru

If you don't want to have to leave your jeep in reverse while camping, you could wire 2 relays in. The reason you need two is to prevent backfeeding the reverse light circuit when in reverse. You could also do it with just one relay and soldering a diode into the backup circuit.

Here's a quick schematic for wiring the two relays I did for another member.
Attached Images

2014 JK Sport, auto, 35x12.5x17, 3.73s.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-24-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks to both of you for the help...14sport could you fill me in a little on the backfeeding, Im not sure what that is. I was planning on wiring the lights to the reverse wires on the drivers side then going to a relay then to my switch. I never thought of a dual relay situation...
post #5 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Granite Guru

The reverse light power wire in the rear will only have power when in reverse. So if you do it the way you planned, you can only turn the leds on with the switch when the jeep is in reverse. If you want to be able to turn them on when the jeep is not in reverse, then you need an alternate power feed. If you run that alternate power feed to the leds through a switch, when you turn the switch on it will also send 12 volts back up through the reverse circuit since the leds are also tied to the reverse lights. A diode only allows electricity to flow in one direction so you could do that to prevent it. Or, as I prefer, you could use 2 relays instead of one.

If you look at the top drawing in the diagram, you can follow where the 12 volt reverse power feeds both the reverse lights and the leds. You will also notice that the additional 12 volt source is disconnected within the single-pole, single throw (SPST)relay on the right side.

In the bottom diagram you can see that when the switch is turned on for the leds, it disconnects the 12 volts coming from the reverse power feed in the single pole, double throw (SPDT) relay.

Edit: You need to be mindful of double feeding the lights. You don't want 2 different 12 volt feeds going to the lights at one time. By adding a second relay, you can prevent that.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-26-2014 at 04:43 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
The reverse light power wire in the rear will only have power when in reverse. So if you do it the way you planned, you can only turn the leds on with the switch when the jeep is in reverse. If you want to be able to turn them on when the jeep is not in reverse, then you need an alternate power feed. If you run that alternate power feed to the leds through a switch, when you turn the switch on it will also send 12 volts back up through the reverse circuit since the leds are also tied to the reverse lights. A diode only allows electricity to flow in one direction so you could do that to prevent it. Or, as I prefer, you could use 2 relays instead of one.

If you look at the top drawing in the diagram, you can follow where the 12 volt reverse power feeds both the reverse lights and the leds. You will also notice that the additional 12 volt source is disconnected within the single-pole, single throw (SPST)relay on the right side.

In the bottom diagram you can see that when the switch is turned on for the leds, it disconnects the 12 volts coming from the reverse power feed in the single pole, double throw (SPDT) relay.

Edit: You also need to be mindful of double feeding the lights. You don't want 2 different 12 volt feeds going to the lights at one time. By adding a second relay, you can prevent that.
Good job 14sport. That's a better solution.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #7 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok so I feel like I screwed this up by adding the switch...I know its not right but not sure what the hell I did...

post #8 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Or this...

post #9 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 03:51 AM
Granite Guru

You just need a single toggle switch. If you want the lights to work with the key off then use the 12v constant. Otherwise use the 12v switched.

I redrew the new 12v feed line to make it easier to see where the switch goes. I would put the relays behind the tail light to make the wiring easier. You only need one additional 12v feed since you already have the 12v coming from the reverse circuit. Not sure if you have the cigarette lighter in the back like some do but that could be used as a 12v source or you could run a line down from the battery. I also attached a wire size chart for you.
Attached Images

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-26-2014 at 06:48 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks, the switch listed in my first post is the one I have from OTRATTW, I will be installing it on my A pillar in front. The reason for my drawing was to make sure the wiring between the relay and the switch was correct. I think Ive got it, going to get started today and see how it goes
post #11 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Granite Guru

Ok. Good luck. Let me know if you get stuck.

I jeep therefore I am.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hey 14, would any additional fuses be needed if tapping into existing wiring?

Last edited by JKWho; 08-26-2014 at 08:46 AM.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Granite Guru

You should fuse the new 12v line for the leds. The existing reverse circuit should be already fused.

Edit: I assume you got LEDs that wouldn't overload the reverse circuit. LEDs usually draw very little amperage.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-26-2014 at 09:26 AM.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Correct, they are LED lights...
post #15 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So the only thing that is throwing me is the integration of my switch into your drawing...I have 4 pins on my switch.

8-Power Source for lights switch lights when dash lights are on

2-Power Source-+12 Cigarette lighter or battery if wanting constant. This power source will be split and also be connected to 30 on the SPST

3-I think this goes to 85 on the SPDT and the 85 on the SPST.

7-Ground

Is this correct?
post #16 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Granite Guru

I'm not familiar with that switch but looking at your first post, then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWho View Post
8-Power Source for lights switch lights when dash lights are on
This sounds like the switch has 2 LEDs. This pin 8 would be the little LED that comes on at night on the switch when you turn your dash lights on.

2-Power Source-+12 Cigarette lighter or battery if wanting constant. This power source will be split and also be connected to 30 on the SPST
Yes

3-I think this goes to 85 on the SPDT and the 85 on the SPST.
Yes

7-Ground

Is this correct?
You got it. When you hit the switch it will trip both relays at the same time. The SPDT to cut the feed from the reverse lights and the SPST to send power from the switch.

Edit: So pin 8 should be fed from one of the dash lights. Also, I'm not sure which cig lighter you are referring to but if it has a picture of a battery on the cover it is unswitched. If it has a picture of a key it is switched.

It's also a good idea to test it all before final install. I usually run the wires on the surface and make my connections for testing. Once everything is working, I then hide all the wiring and relays.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-26-2014 at 12:58 PM.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Actually when not in reverse, Toggle ON, The power feeding back to the reverse relay will go nowhere as the relay isn't energized by the TIPM, It'll simply stop at terminal 30 of relay.
I would wire in a diode to be safe.

BUT all this is based on the wiring diagram for my 08, Different years may not be the same. Model year wasn't stated or I woulda looked it up on my shopkey to be sure

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #18 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
Actually when not in reverse, Toggle ON, The power feeding back to the reverse relay will go nowhere as the relay isn't energized by the TIPM, It'll simply stop at terminal 30 of relay.
I designed this circuit to prevent double feeding the lights when the toggle is on and you shift into reverse. Or conversely, if you're in reverse and accidently hit the toggle. Better safe than sorry.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-26-2014 at 04:30 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Granite Guru

Great info here.

Could you provide some detail on the electrical bits and pieces and a source .
post #20 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Granite Guru

It is simply two automotive relays (one SPDT and one SPST) and a switch. I sometimes find the automotive relays at Radio Shack but they seem to be stocking them less and less so often I have to run to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts.

Edit: It is much easier to wire the LEDs to a separate switch and relay. Then if you need the LEDs when backing up you can hit the switch. Depending on whether you wired the relay to switched or unswitched, you can easily use the switch to turn on the LEDs when camping or what not. The complication exists by wanting the LEDs to turn on when you put the vehicle in reverse and separately when you flick a switch. This is what calls for creative solutions.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-26-2014 at 05:42 PM.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Everything is up and running...Thanks so much for the help guys!!!
post #22 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWho View Post
Everything is up and running...Thanks so much for the help guys!!!
Outstanding! Good job! Glad I could be of assistance.

Sometimes we get stuck in our old ways, and when a new idea comes along we find it easier to just dismiss it. We're all guilty of that. It is always nice to see a new idea work.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-27-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode