Ground the Antenna Mount or Not? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ground the Antenna Mount or Not?

I just bought a Wilson Flex antenna and a Teraflex spare tire antenna mounting bracket as well. If I run a grounding wire from the antenna base into the vehicle to a good grounding point do I still need to grind off paint and ground my mount as well? The antenna has its own little grounding strap so I'm thinking that I can run a wire from that contact point to a good ground somewhere other than the tailgate. Is this a logical thought? I'm not fond of grinding off factory paint.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

just ground it to the body. I don't have a ground on mine (TF bracket and firestick) and I am pulling a 1.7

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

i have the same set up and i didnt ground the antenna and no extra ground for the mount, worked well for me without any extra grounds. i did scrap off the paint where the antenna mounts to the teraflex bracket but nothing else and got swr of 1.5-1.7 thru all channels.

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Granite Guru

In theory, the ground of a tailgate is the contact of the hinge with the hinge pin and the latch mechanism. Removing the spare tire holder bolts and replacing with the Teraflex bolts should give a good connection to the tailgate.

I would try it and see what SWR reading you get.

If it is high - I would try a temporary grounding strap from the tailgate to the body using existing bolts and see if it comes down before doing anything custom. You have to make sure you are contacting clean metal - relying on just bolt threads is not good. Paint and grease are an insulator and antennas must have a good ground for performance.

I've changed SWR on the fly while listening to people talking in the distance - it does make a real difference.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the replys.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 8 Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 AM
Granite Guru

The wire on the wilson is not to replace the normal ground for the antenna. You only ground it if you can't get a good enough SWR using the tuning slug.

When I checked my tailgate during antenna installation, there was no continuity between gate and body. The longest grounding strap I could find locally was only 18" so I extended it with 12 gauge stranded (because RF energy prefers to high surface area over high cross sectional area) right to the antenna bracket itself. I got an SWR of 1.1 to 1.3 throughout the range without having to ground the impedence matching wire in the antenna.

Here's a close up of the ground to the body.

Here's the strap, yellow butt connector, and red 12 gauge wire.

There's no nees for a fancy bracket. Just use a chunk of angle iron. This firestick has been replaced with a fkexible wilson.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #7 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So what did you end up doing with the wire in the antenna?

post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Granite Guru

Left it floppin' in the wind.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode