7" HID offroad lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

7" HID offroad lights

This is to give an idea for how much light 7" HID accessory lights add. I bought these Chinese manufactured lights when they first came out 1 1/2 years ago at Kragen - before Rugged Ridge offered at 4200K color and the HIDx version with 6000K color. 6000K has a slight bluish tint and is a little less expensive bulb. I use a variety of HID lights and you will probably not notice the color difference unless they are side by side (compared to 6000K, 4200K very slight yellow tint with a little more light output). In pictures and especially video - HID has a greenish tint but that is not what you will see with your eye. JKOwners vendor RDM Offroad carries both brands - others probably do too.

I would not put 7" by the windshield - I tried and the glare off the hood is too much. I used an shelf bracket to move mine down using the side bolts for the windshield corner trim. There was no 4" HIDs available when I bought mine but users have written the smaller HID work by the windshield.

Laws concerning HID accessory lights are often different state to state - in some states the lights must be covered on the highway. The clear covers could be painted which will block the light's colored trim. If you want your trim to show or want to be able to run offroad with the clear cover protection - what I did was cut a round piece of cardboard painted black to put over the glass and the clear covers will hold it there. HIDx also offers black covers.

It is difficult to take accurate night pictures. All pics Canon PowerShot A650 IS; Shutter: 1/6s; Aperture: f/2.8. My camera pics did not capture all the light - so you would see more than this, however, it does give a good idea of relative changes. My bumper HIDs are pointed very low - could be used as driving lights in some states (never have them on in traffic areas or curved roads - it is too rude, really annoys me when I see stock HID glare on the expensive cars - their high beams will blind you).

HID is awesome - only drawback I have is after driving a few hours offroad with them on - can't see a thing with stock lights until my eyes re-adjust!(about 10-15 minutes)

All off - Low beam - High Beam - High Beam with Bumper HIDs - All lights (windshield HIDs on)

Stock low beam and high beam (most of my posts - click on picture to see larger size)

Stock high beam with bumper HID driving lights and all lights on.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!

Last edited by chasinternet; 01-04-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Granite Guru

Man nice setup . Its like daytime with no sun haha. Looks good.where did ya get the lights?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowJKmedic View Post
Man nice setup . Its like daytime with no sun haha. Looks good.where did ya get the lights?
Kragen is a western US auto store that was first importing them in my area. Buying them today, I'd go for HIDx or Rugged Ridge from a number of retail JKOwner vendors here - such as TrailDuty.com and RDMOffroad.com, I'm sure there are many others too.

Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Rock God

Looking good!

You are right though, no photo will do these things justice. As I stated in my other thread, you have to see them in person to really experience the brightness. If you order a set and don't like them for any reason just send them back to me in the original packaging for a full refund. You won't be dissappointed.

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on:

post #5 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to NxtGenCowboy

Does HIDx make these for RR?

The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux
post #6 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

looks good.. i got the 7in HIDX on my windshiled...

low beams with fog lights.. these are some upgraded lights i bought from autozone cost $80 for all 4

with the 7" HIDX on

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGenCowboy View Post
Does HIDx make these for RR?
Hopefully Jason from HIDx will chime in on this one.

From what I understand, Custom Accessories (available @ Kragen/O'Reiley) and HIDx are under the same parent company and are the originators of this light. The lights are made overseas and the design has now been used in multiple companies "versions".

Similar lights are now sold under:

Rugged Ridge

Hella

Lazerstar

APC

among others...

This seems to be a common practice of the overseas manufacturers. I have been approached with everything from LED light bars (VisionX knock-off) to Winches. You name it and there is a cheaper copy of it out there.

HIDx continues to be the best value out of all of these.

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Rock God

I put the 4" version on my windshield and they kick arse in light output and look proportionate to the mounting location.

09 Unlimited Rubicon Flame Red
~8.5" TeraFlex LCG Long Arm
~41x14.50 Interco IROK Radials
~20x10 RBP-93R wheels with red inserts
~RCV Performance front D44 CV-style axle shafts
~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Warn 9.5ti Winch w/synthetic line
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
~10lb Powertank & VIAR Xtreme
~Drake Off-Road billet bling
Check out my build here....
post #9 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have 2 7" that I bought from Kragen a while back. They are super bright. I switched to Lightforce 240 xenons, and removed them... They're great lights, but not as bright as the HIDx's.

I'm going to reinstall my 7's on my bumper, and I'm going to order 4 of the 4" lights for my KMA lightbar. I figure that'll pretty much have me covered as far as forward facing lights are concerned.

I was debating on picking up some LED lights, but their Lumen to dollar ratio just doesn't add up compared to the HIDx's.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #10 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have a handheld 4" HID I use for mine exploration and it easily overpowers my Jeep stock headlights. I like the look of the HIDx 4" windshield mount and have been thinking of switching.

I just noticed HIDx has a thread which gives dimensions on page 3:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8689

There are also a few threads that describe relay/switch connection. It's simple enough. Connect the relay contacts to the light plus and the battery plus. Attach the plus side of the relay coil to a switch. Some people attach the new switch to the ignition switch, I have mine wired (with inline fuse) to the battery.

I think the high output LED spotlights/bars will come down in price in 2-3 more years (as the current technology matures and LED house lamp bulbs go mainstream). We'll all want those (pure white, long life, high reliability), but HID rules for now on price.

My lights will vibrate a little when going over offroad bumps or desert washboard - it doesn't bother me but if it did I could attach a bracket to the screws on the HID side.

www.candlepowerforums.com is a great place for anyone with a flashlight addiction or wanting to learn about LED/HID technology. Warning though, like Jeep forums, its free to post and read - but costs a fortune in all the stuff you wind up buying - LOL

post #11 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Rock God

Great thread here! Thanks for posting those pics chasinternet. I have tried for months to capture the brightness of HID compared to other light sources and havent been able to do it nearly as well as yours.

Ok, sorry for neglecting JKO. The holidays, traveling, kids... You know the song and dance. Anyway, I have returned all PM's and am trying to catch up on posts...

In response to the questions about other manufacturers' lights that look the same... I would like to clarify that HIDX/Custom Accessories does NOT make the Rugged Ridge lights. The short version of the story is that they "coincidentally" made an inexpensive HID offroad light that just so happened to look IDENTICAL to ours. I was amazed at the lengths they went, and the amount of detail they included, to offer a light that consumers "might accidentally confuse" to be the same as ours.

I guess we should be flattered that they copied ours, but I am concerned that poor quality could be associated with our lights. I guess until theirs are proven, we wont understand the impact. The HIDX light is manufactured in a plant in which we have shares. It is our exclusive design and will not be sold into the US under any other brands unless we choose to do so... Over 40,000 of these lights have been sold into the US in the last two years. I am only speculating, but I believe that gives us the bulk of the market share for HID driving lights. Perhaps this is why other companies are knocking them off.

Anyway, our lights are proven in the market place in volume and duration. They are high performance lights, at an affordable price. We believe that combination equals the highest value currently available. We are not a large conglomerate like Rugged Ridge, and cannot compete with their marketing (or lawyers). We are a relatively small company offering the best value product we can... Thanks for all the support and compliments, and I look forward to hitting the trails with more of my fellow JK owners!

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
post #12 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I consider the Rugged Ridge 7" a different light since they are using 4200K color and more expensive ($40 to $70 more). Don't know if the ballast is different, appears to be same external package. 4200K vs 6000K color in an individual preference. (my old Kragens are 6000K)

I own lights at both temps and personally wouldn't bother paying more for a vehicle. I think there are many more fans of 6000K than 4200K in automotive - 4200K is a "purer white" but many don't like it as much as 6000K.

I use handheld HID underground for taking videos. Getting 4300K in my first HID for more $ was a mistake there - Sony video cameras do better with higher color temps and I add a color filter anyway.

The offshore thing is a bummer - back in my days of reping Panasonic components it really pissed me off to occasionally see OEMs buy my parts on the gray market cheaper than I could sell them direct (do a cash deal through foreign agent from the factory location overseas because there was inventory to get rid of). I did computers later, you have fierce competitors using the same manufacturing house and even line on some models - just the external plastic is different.

I would not be so sure Rugged Ridge is not the same factory housing and stuffed them with some different electronics. I had Japanese/Taiwanese factories straight up lie to me back in the day - China is worse. The culture is different - it is not lying if my questioning is considered inappropiate (twisted logic).

I understand your concern about if Rugged Ridge runs into problems you get smeared because they have the large distribution channels - but I have found Rugged Ridge to be a decent vendor - I wouldn't worry much, your lights are different and no red ring.

post #13 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Rock God

We ARE the factory. We developed it, paid for the tooling and make the lights exclusively for Custom Accessories and HIDX brands. As we (my parent company) is partial owner of the plant, we have very good control over distribution channels. I am 100% positive that the RR lights are NOT coming from our plant. On a similar note, we have had to stop some domestic suppliers (domestic to China, and direct to the plant) from trying to sneak into the US with our product. Easy to find, easy to stop... or they lose their domestic/Chinese dealership.

Anyway, the other part of our business is OEM manufacturing with several different plants throughout the Orient (China, Taiwan, Vietnam) and Mexico... I know very well their practices. Its interesting for me to track down the plants for several well known winch makers, lights, compressors, tools.... A tweak and a different label is standard procedure for many. Again, the value of being involved at the plant level, and co-ownership is invaluable.

Ok, now I'm just rambling... I have tons of confidence in our product and our business practices. RR will get their share, as will the others... We will maintain a certain level of success, and be grateful. Thanks again for the review and images!

post #14 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Rock God

Jason, when will HIDx sell a light with a spot beam pattern as opposed to the current driving beams or euro beams?
post #15 of 15 Old 01-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Rock God

I honestly dont know if we will. There isnt TOO much of an advantage to the spot over the euro. Of course there IS since it reaches a little further with its focal point... but unless you are running 75mph (whats that in kph? ) most will find that there are more advantages to a far reaching euro beam that also increases side visibility. If we move that direction, I will be sure to let you know though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode