LightForce Driving lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

LightForce Driving lights

Any opinions on these lights? I am looking at either the Striker 170 HID or standard, not sure which yet...

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

idk if theyre the same ones, but theyre using some type of lightforces on the RR jeep truck project on here...

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

I ran Lightforce lights for over a year. They're very bright and super durable.
I'd recommend them. The ability to change the beam color/pattern with a snap-on filter is very convenient.

I had 240 xenons, 170 Strykers, and 140 Lancers.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Granite Guru

I have the 170's mounted on Mopar brackets and Love'em. It's also nice that you can run different covers and adjust the beam........

08 Sahara Unlimited Auto / 4.5" BDS long Arm / 37" BFG KM2s / AEV Wheels & Hood / ARB Front & Rear Bumpers Line-Xed / Or-Fab Tire Carrier Line-Xed / Atlas Rubicrawler / Cobra 75CB / JKS disco's & Trackbar Brackets / EVO "C" Gusset's / 5:13 Gears / Speedo Recal / s-Pod / Warn Powerplant / Weather Tech Mats / Ultra CB Ant Mount / MBRP SS Exhaust / Jeep Trail Guide / FabFours Rock Rails / Evap Relocate / Tom Woods Drive Shafts / LightForce 170's Mopar Brackets / Viper TB / AeroForce Gauge

Last edited by boots; 01-02-2010 at 07:18 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I got 170's on my windshield brackets! They work great. But i wanna go with HIDs conversion. They great lights! As said in other post, light patter can be changed easily.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Granite Guru

I just put the conventional 170 strikers in windshield mounts. I'm really happy with the amount of light they put out.

There are several reasons I went with conventional rather than HID:
$$$$
HID lights don't like to be turned on and off for oncoming traffic.
I'm not worried about efficiency.
No warm up needed.

My only major complaint is the filters emit a lot of glare back into my eyes. So much, that I'll have to paint the outer rings of the filters to stop it. It's an easy fix, but annoying.

Because of the type of usage these will get, I ordered a set of clear combo filters, They should be delivered tomorrow.

With my homemade WS mounts, there is no sign of vibration.

I love em.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #7 of 23 Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I got 170 standard w/ combo lense on my delta windshield bracket. Great combo.

post #8 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
I just put the conventional 170 strikers in windshield mounts. I'm really happy with the amount of light they put out.

There are several reasons I went with conventional rather than HID:
$$$$
HID lights don't like to be turned on and off for oncoming traffic.
I'm not worried about efficiency.
No warm up needed.

My only major complaint is the filters emit a lot of glare back into my eyes. So much, that I'll have to paint the outer rings of the filters to stop it. It's an easy fix, but annoying.

Because of the type of usage these will get, I ordered a set of clear combo filters, They should be delivered tomorrow.

With my homemade WS mounts, there is no sign of vibration.

I love em.
Yea but HIDs will be brighter than any halogen you can stick in there. You are correct on the on/off, they don't like that. But damn they're bright!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks Guys.
Much Appreciated..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Rock God

I've had 170 Strikers... My RR HIDs are brighter. I can't speak for the quality, durability etc. But they're brighter...
post #11 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Granite Guru

I got a lot of glare from the filters so I painted the area that emitted the light back at me. In this picture, notice the glare from the light on the right. On the left is a painted filter. No glare.

Here is a pic of what I painted.

Here's what it looks like on the Jeep.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
post #12 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 07:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

what did you use to paint them?
post #13 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Granite Guru

Rustoleum brand plastic paint. Mask off the areas you want left clear with painters tape, use a sharp knife to trim the tape for a nice edgs, then hit 'em with the rattle can.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
post #14 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #15 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Rock God

We will be running 5 of the striker 170's on our Raider ST project. They are nice bright units and are super strong.

RIVER RAIDER OFF-ROAD

post #16 of 23 Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Wheeler

Running 170's on my fairlead mount... I dont know how you guys are running 170's on your windshield.. those things are huge!

No matter... these are amazing.. I wont drive at night without them anymore.
post #17 of 23 Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
We will be running 5 of the striker 170's on our Raider ST project. They are nice bright units and are super strong.

Kenny,

Any special wiring with HIDs and ballasts? I have an sPOD, so I'd plan on hooking it straight up to this. Do the ballasts have to be mounted somewhere dry, cool, and protected, or are they built into the can?

Thanks man... Dying to get that RK kit I ordered from you. Counting down the days!

Cruz

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #18 of 23 Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Kenny,

Any special wiring with HIDs and ballasts? I have an sPOD, so I'd plan on hooking it straight up to this. Do the ballasts have to be mounted somewhere dry, cool, and protected, or are they built into the can?

Thanks man... Dying to get that RK kit I ordered from you. Counting down the days!

Cruz
I can chime on this one - if you don't mind, the ballasts are separate, hook the up straight to the sPOD, where I mounted my 170's HID was on the windshield and I tucked the ballasts under the cowl.. Out of site, out of mind..

post #19 of 23 Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
I can chime on this one - if you don't mind, the ballasts are separate, hook the up straight to the sPOD, where I mounted my 170's HID was on the windshield and I tucked the ballasts under the cowl.. Out of site, out of mind..
Thanks, Andre!

I'm running PIAA 540's, but haven't run HIDs, so I thought I would get a school lesson. These sounds like they would compliment the PIAAs nicely, and that I would be done in the lighting department if I bought them. Now to find the best deal...

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #20 of 23 Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Thanks, Andre!

I'm running PIAA 540's, but haven't run HIDs, so I thought I would get a school lesson. These sounds like they would compliment the PIAAs nicely, and that I would be done in the lighting department if I bought them. Now to find the best deal...

RC
RDM or Mannylx450 - usually have decent prices, or find a dealer near you for less shipping.

Initally I had the 170 halogen but then as expected JKO's are always looking for the BBD. .. So I converted them to HID with lightforce kit.

post #21 of 23 Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks, Andre!

RC
No need to search for the best deal

http://www.rdmoffroad.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=129

All Lightforce lights ship for free in the US. Don't forget your "JKOWNERS" coupon code to drop the price even more.

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #22 of 23 Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Rock God

Please also consider the HIDX brand in your search as well. Lightforce is certainly a quality light and I have much respect for them... However, you can get our HID lights at around the same price or cheaper than the Lightforce HALOGEN lights. They have been proven to be perform well by many of the members on this site. There are MANY race teams that trust HIDX brand on their hardcore race rigs too. We offer a great value in providing high performance at a reasonable price. Feel free to PM or call me if you would like any more information.

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
post #23 of 23 Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrazed View Post
I ran Lightforce lights for over a year. They're very bright and super durable.
I'd recommend them. The ability to change the beam color/pattern with a snap-on filter is very convenient.

I had 240 xenons, 170 Strykers, and 140 Lancers.
UNTIL I STOLE THEM ALL!

been meaning to get a night shot. and figure out where i want to mount the 3 140s.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode