Electronic Sway bar craziness - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Electronic Sway bar craziness

Long read but worth it if you have the bar, heck even if you dont cuz I'm telling it

So back in first week of Nov I FINALLY killed my sway bar after hundreds of dunks and mud baths it had enough after burying it in mud(thanks to shrockworks skid plate) haha. I really cant believe it lived so long since I've read about so many dying way before mine.

Fast forward to saturday night, it POURED rain for 1hr ride to restaurant. I go to leave restaurant at 1030pm and jeep starts weird, right away tach is bouncing up and down, check engine light is blinking then YIKES Oil pressure light is blinking in sequence with the check engine light. I notice though that the engine RPM's arent going haywire, its just the tach. I shut jeep off wait a couple minutes and start again, this time it sounded REALLY BAD, starter made some bad noises, and lights/tach still crazy. Ok I'll disconnect battery try the 10minute thing. Now I am crapping because I have to drive home 600 miles sunday so I can be back at my 3week old job monday. I decide I am going to drive it to my hotel and see if it makes it haha. I get there no problem other then a REALLY LOUD ding from the check engine light n oil light flashing. I disconnect battery over night at hotel.

Sunday morning I wake up and Hope and pray I can get home without trouble lol. I reconnect and everything is good, drive over to sisters house still no lights SWEET. I start driving home and about 240 miles into trip I get the lights again. Oh backup when I had checked my dtc's with flashpaq sat night I had 16 of them mostly relating to lost communications with everything FCM, SCM, ABS, SWAY BAR, etc....On sunday I stop and check the lights and to clear them and hey its only 13

IMPORTANT:
IF your swaybar stops working UNPLUG IT

Once I did that the lights went out and the loud ding stopped and it was all good today. Gotta say that plug is a pain to get off when you have skid plate in the way.

I have to thank Nena Barlow from Jeep School for multiple times posting about the crazy problems the swaybar can cause and to unplug it to see if the crazy problems clear up

I got a question for those who have replaced theirs, what did u do with the stock plug?? should I cut it off? tape it up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 07:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Glad you got it figured out.
What are you going to replace it with? A manual one?

Id go the venom route if i were you.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Glad you got it figured out.
What are you going to replace it with? A manual one?

Id go the venom route if i were you.

I'm 90% sure I am going with the Currie Anti-rock

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

no electronics to go out on mine..... and will have the Anti-rocks up front eventually. Already have them in the rear and I could not tell any difference in the on pavement Handling.

YouTube - JKS Quicker Disconnects Install... simple!
post #5 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

holy COW!

i just popped in here... mine is doing the same frickin thing. i was thinking it was cold weather related. the FIRST time it dropped below 40. a vid i shot when i restarted it...

YouTube - 1221090812.3g2

the jeep pretty much functioned normally. it latter acted normal (after it warmed up) with the only leftover thing being the swaybar light flashing and CEL on. went to the dealer. he claimed there was a ground short on the front locker plug at the axle which he said they fixed. the CEL was from a bad EGR valve. anyway, he cleared it out, ordered the EGR valve and we went on our way to NYC....

the Jeep did a no-start yesterday. then when i tried it the second time, the starter engaged 3 times... bump-bump-bump. dash lit up again... now the swaybar light is flashing again.

gonna go down and unplug it in the morning. see if that clears it up. i've got a few thousand miles left on the warranty. if its bad, i'll have it replaced.

--update--
went down and disconnected the harness. no luck... but i have no way to pull the codes... and i brought no tools with me. (grrr)

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane

Last edited by b1pig; 12-28-2009 at 08:14 PM.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
holy COW!

i just popped in here... mine is doing the same frickin thing. i was thinking it was cold weather related. the FIRST time it dropped below 40. a vid i shot when i restarted it...

YouTube - 1221090812.3g2

the jeep pretty much functioned normally. it latter acted normal (after it warmed up) with the only leftover thing being the swaybar light flashing and CEL on. went to the dealer. he claimed there was a ground short on the front locker plug at the axle which he said they fixed. the CEL was from a bad EGR valve. anyway, he cleared it out, ordered the EGR valve and we went on our way to NYC....

the Jeep did a no-start yesterday. then when i tried it the second time, the starter engaged 3 times... bump-bump-bump. dash lit up again... now the swaybar light is flashing again.

gonna go down and unplug it in the morning. see if that clears it up. i've got a few thousand miles left on the warranty. if its bad, i'll have it replaced.

--update--
went down and disconnected the harness. no luck... but i have no way to pull the codes... and i brought no tools with me. (grrr)
You're in NYC NOW? how long you there till? Post up in Northeast section someone maybe able to help you out if you need it.

Yours is doing everything mine was MINUS the Oil pressure light, all the other lights and tach are exactly the same. hmm making me wonder now if its not the swaybar, damnit hope mine doesnt come back It definitely stopped the second I got mine unplugged though and 500 miles ago. Crap

Quote:

post #7 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

i had various lights kickin off and on. the airbag, BAS/ESP, oil (fluttery), security (red dot) and others.... it was whacky.

as stated.
i disconnected my swaybar harness. no joy thus far.

as for NYC...
I just Checked into our hotel. Hampton Inn in Secaucus. Meadows somthing. anyway. decent spot. not in the big city, but the bus stop is across the street.

The Jeep is running good. no issues. been ignoring the swaybar light.

post #8 of 27 Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
IMPORTANT:
IF your swaybar stops working UNPLUG IT

I have to thank Nena Barlow from Jeep School for multiple times posting about the crazy problems the swaybar can cause and to unplug it to see if the crazy problems clear up
You're welcome! I can't believe yours lasted this long!

Quote:
as stated.
i disconnected my swaybar harness. no joy thus far.

The Jeep is running good. no issues. been ignoring the swaybar light.
Just to clarify: you disconnected the rectangular harness on the sway bar motor itself, right? If that didn't do it, you have other issues that you should get to the dealer while there is still warranty: cooked wires elsewhere in the BUS (if you have an '07, this will happen with a sway bar malfunction), maybe a front shock stabbed your fuse box?, maybe you really do have all of those things wrong with your Jeep? Keep us posted.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #9 of 27 Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
I got a question for those who have replaced theirs, what did u do with the stock plug?? should I cut it off? tape it up?
I taped mine up, but with your u-boat tendencies you may want to do something else. Maybe fill it with silicone, or cut it off and cap/seal each wire.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

i dont have all that wrong with mine. its extent of offroading has been a couple of romps in some light mud. once in some deep super-thick mud... but no water and its never been airborne. sad as it is, mostly road miles.

the TIPM was replaced back in march after a Hypertech incident left in unrecoverable....

i still think its the TIPM. the dealer does not. they've never seen one do that. i just started using this dealer due to the assnine attitude of the dealer that i bought the jeep from. these guys are easier to work with, but they honestly are clueless. i had a brief discussion with him about whether or not my rubicon had a disconnecting swaybar.

anyway.
i'm soldiering on. we just got back from our trip tonite, so it should be at the dealer this week.

post #11 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

On my last wheeling trip, I flipped and taco'd my swaybar link on the drivers side... And they were the beefy Poly Performance links!

Now, I have a flashing swaybar light all the time. It appears to be connected, But will not disconnect.

What is the cure for this one?
post #12 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 06:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Well figured out what was wrong with my sway bar disconnect. For some reason it won't work with a huge crack in it. They should have made it tougher for sure. Guess antirocks are in my future really soon!!
post #13 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 09:01 AM
JKowners Vendor

Yes, that is true--actual physical damage to the unit is bad, too!

We used to see a lot of broken mounts--where the cheap little S-bend mounts the sway bar motor to the frame on the passenger side. If that is letting your sway bar motor rock around, it won't like it--weld it up or replace the mount for $50 from the dealer.

And I have seen a motor with holes blown through it. Really not sure how that happened--maybe target practice? FYI, roofing tar will NOT fix that.

If you hit your sway bar end hard enough to snap a poly link, dude...first, slow down! Second, you seriously pissed off your sway bar motor. I would try disconnecting the battery for a half hour to see if that will reset it. If not, you can try to get it warranteed--after you replace the creamed sway link. I am working on one with a similar problem right now (sway link took a good hit, though not enough to taco it)--will keep you posted.

Nena Barlow

post #14 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
On my last wheeling trip, I flipped and taco'd my swaybar link on the drivers side... And they were the beefy Poly Performance links!
Did you have the links set to the right length, ie: so the sway bar ends were parallel to the ground? Only reason I ask is that I bent a bunch of factory sway bar links early on, but never came close with the Poly ones.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Yeah keep me posted but I know exactly how this one got creamed. My front tire slipped off a rock and set the jeep down on the sway disco. That's way to much weight for a forged aluminum piece. Well that got me a pretty good crack in the body of the disco not far from where the plug is. Pretty sure it is shot but I will try the 30 minute thing later in the week.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Did you have the links set to the right length, ie: so the sway bar ends were parallel to the ground? Only reason I ask is that I bent a bunch of factory sway bar links early on, but never came close with the Poly ones.
They were the same length, And parallel. For some reason, The link flipped over the other side of the tie tod and bent. It didn't actually "Taco" but there is a bend in it.

I might have too much articulation. I was doing a massive wheel stander and nearly flopped it!

The link is not so much whatg i am worried about, But the damned sway bar light blinking all the time, And not working in 4low anymore.
post #17 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

i seem to remember Tim bragging about how great it was to just "push a button" to disco his sway bar while i was on the ground pulling the pins of my JKS quick discos...

post #18 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Massey View Post
Yeah keep me posted but I know exactly how this one got creamed. My front tire slipped off a rock and set the jeep down on the sway disco. That's way to much weight for a forged aluminum piece. Well that got me a pretty good crack in the body of the disco not far from where the plug is. Pretty sure it is shot but I will try the 30 minute thing later in the week.
The sway bar motor housing is cracked? If so, you are probably screwed. Mine is okay. We disconnected the wiring harness and battery for 30 minutes, then reconnected and now everything is fine. But I have no rock rash or cracks on the housing!

I will post a pic later of the water/dust boot we created to protect our wiring harnesses.

Nena Barlow

post #19 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
They were the same length, And parallel. For some reason, The link flipped over the other side of the tie tod and bent. It didn't actually "Taco" but there is a bend in it.

I might have too much articulation. I was doing a massive wheel stander and nearly flopped it!

The link is not so much whatg i am worried about, But the damned sway bar light blinking all the time, And not working in 4low anymore.
Shouldn't have hurt the disconnect unit. Can you tell if the sway bar is disengaged still? It might not be able to reengage with the bent link(s) causing the light to stay on..

If its unlocked you can take off a bolt on each end link and rotate the sway bar in 2wd and line it up so it reengages. Then see how the endlinks line up...Wortha shot.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #20 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Massey View Post
Makes me feel better that i just rotated mine. Now at least something has to take out that small skid before getting to the actual motor.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Makes me feel better that i just rotated mine. Now at least something has to take out that small skid before getting to the actual motor.
Yeah thats what I thought too. Guess that rock had just the right shape to reach under my lod skid and do the damage.
post #22 of 27 Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

ok... my saga continues.

check this out. i unplugged the harness from the swaybar on our trip. the swaybar light continued to flash the whole trip, same as it had before unplugging it. i wasn't going to carry it back in unplugged, so i plugged it back in. Jeep was off at the time, and had been shut down for about an hour. dash went whacky again. to include that with the key in accessory, the accessories would have a power interupt every 7 seconds or so.

after it sat there for a few hours, it was acting as it had been. swaybar light flashing, all else "normal". i thought... well i'll unplug it and and plug it back in, because that obviously did it... then they can actually troubleshoot it while its acting stupid. um. no. after the restart... everything was off except the CEL for the pending EGR issue. i double checked... swaybar worked perfectly.

i recalled, that after i plugged it back in, i smacked it with my hand. i asked them to troubleshoot it if possible. we'll see....

post #23 of 27 Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
ok... my saga continues.

check this out. i unplugged the harness from the swaybar on our trip. the swaybar light continued to flash the whole trip, same as it had before unplugging it. i wasn't going to carry it back in unplugged, so i plugged it back in. Jeep was off at the time, and had been shut down for about an hour. dash went whacky again. to include that with the key in accessory, the accessories would have a power interupt every 7 seconds or so.

after it sat there for a few hours, it was acting as it had been. swaybar light flashing, all else "normal". i thought... well i'll unplug it and and plug it back in, because that obviously did it... then they can actually troubleshoot it while its acting stupid. um. no. after the restart... everything was off except the CEL for the pending EGR issue. i double checked... swaybar worked perfectly.

i recalled, that after i plugged it back in, i smacked it with my hand. i asked them to troubleshoot it if possible. we'll see....

Good luck, they've replaced the control unit on mine, like you, mine had a blinking swaybar light (but that was all), it wouldn't re-engage. Thought about selling it and going anti, but it's been holding up fine so far.
post #24 of 27 Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Rock God

I pulled the fuse to check if it was blown, And when i put it back in, The swar bar light went out! It works like it should now. Weird
post #25 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Wheeler

Great, mine's starting to do this now At first it was just the e-disco light, then the rear locker, then ESP. It happens intermittently. I pulled the J11 fuse and put it back in and no flashing lights! What's my next move? Clean the connector? Dielectric grease? Leave the thing unplugged? Got an 07 with almost 50k miles.

Last edited by MELONHEAD; 04-11-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode