New speaker install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New speaker install

So for some reason I decided to replace my factory 6.5's for aftermarkets, so far I have the fronts in but they sound like $h!t, did I miss something I assumed it would be plug n play but they sound horrible (distorted/blown) what should I do.... I dont even wanna look at the sound bar now, but hey all in time right? Someone help.....

Teraflex 4" lift
M.O.R.E. 1' bl
2.5 TF spacers
5:13s evo gussetts & skids
Artec f/r truss'
AEV rear corners
RC diff covers
RC dual stabilizers
XRC front bumper
XRC rear w/ tire carrier and hitch
XRC10 winch
KC slim lights
Pro comp 7005's 17x9
38x13.5x17 Geolander m/t
FlowMaster 40 delta flow relocated
Etc........................

Future plans;
TF 6" long arm
Dana 60's / Hemi
40" meats
new elbow pads, knee pads, and a helmet
jk-forum.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I did the same thing... mine don't sound awful, but definitely not what they should sound like for the speakers they are... Grover and I were talking about this at length for some time (he is pretty helpful with this stuff, so PM him with questions), but basically you're going to most likely have to put in an amplifier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the head unit is 2 ohms and most of the after market speakers are 4 ohm, so they won't sounds as good until you get an amp on them. what kind of speakers did you put in anyway?

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
post #3 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

if one of them is hooked up backwards it can cause the same effect. worth checking anyway. but I am with him on the 2 ohm vs 4 ohm sounding different due to power and speaker control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Granite Guru

Also, the JK speakers are all 2ohm and maybe you got 4ohm or maybe the speakers require more power than the little amp in the JK can provide?

Edit: And apparently I shouldn't leave threads open for long periods of time and then respond. lol So I guess I should have just quoted above me and put X 2/3
post #5 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Rock God

It's not the amp or the head unit. The new, after market units were more then likely designed for an open air application. This means they WERE NOT designed to mount into a sealed enclosure. It also means that the new units probably can't handle the back wave generated by the speaker resulting in poor output.

Last year I decided to upgrade my OEM speakers with top of the line after market Infinitys. Instead of doing both fronts at the same time I only installed the front passenger speaker so I could play with the head unit balance in order to hear the difference between the old and new units. To my surprise the OEM speakers sounded much better then the new Infinitys, much better. When comparing the two speakers it was obvious that the OEM units played lower and sounded fuller. It was also obvious that the new units had terrible cone flap and distortion which I believe is due to their engineering for open air applications. If I placed my finger on the cone of the new speaker it sounded better but not as good as the OEM unit.

At this point I noticed that the OEM unit was being hindered by a resonating enclosure. Every time the bass hit on the OEM unit I could hear a buzzing and a fair amount of distortion so I decided to Dynamat the enclosure and see if that eliminated the resonance. After applying 2 sq feet of Dynamat to a single OEM enclosure the resonance from that enclosure was completely eliminated. The OEM speakers sounded MUCH better with Dynamat and for $50, was a much better investment then the after market speakers.

If you want better sound out of your OEM speakers just deaden the shit out of the stock enclosures and you should be good to go. Don't get caught up in the fallacy that after market is automatically better. Believe it or not but the OEM upgraded Infinity speakers are pretty damn good.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!

Last edited by MaloCS; 12-28-2009 at 09:05 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
If you want better sound out of your OEM speakers just deaden the shit out of the stock enclosures and you should be good to go.
x2 on the Dynamat. You don't say what speakers you bought. I had previously used Polk DB651S in the dash and soundabar with good results. This time I took Malo's advice and Dynamatted the dash boxes and stuffed the soundbar with polyfill. I'm running an aftermarket head unit and eliminated the Infinity amp with stock speakers, except for the sub, and am very happy with the sound.

2009 2 door Rubicon 6 Speed
post #7 of 18 Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clump View Post
x2 on the Dynamat. You don't say what speakers you bought. I had previously used Polk DB651S in the dash and soundabar with good results. This time I took Malo's advice and Dynamatted the dash boxes and stuffed the soundbar with polyfill. I'm running an aftermarket head unit and eliminated the Infinity amp with stock speakers, except for the sub, and am very happy with the sound.
I was thinking of doing the same thing and was wondering if it was worth trying. I really didn't want to do another sub in the rear.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanx for all the replies......So my prob is that I need to swap the head unit or put an amp on the new 6.5's correct..........?

Teraflex 4" lift
M.O.R.E. 1' bl
2.5 TF spacers
Artec f/r truss'
AEV rear corners
RC diff covers
RC dual stabilizers
XRC front bumper
XRC10 winch
KC slim lights
Pro comp 7005's 17x9
38x13.5x17 Geolander m/t

Future plans;
TF 6" long arm
Dana 60's / Hemi
40" meats
jk-forum.com
post #9 of 18 Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

let me know when you find out what was wrong because im looking into replacing all of my speakers sometime soon

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #10 of 18 Old 12-30-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Did anyone just replace the 6.5's without adding an amp or head unit??

Teraflex 4" lift
M.O.R.E. 1' bl
2.5 TF spacers
Artec f/r truss'
AEV rear corners
RC diff covers
RC dual stabilizers
XRC front bumper
XRC10 winch
KC slim lights
Pro comp 7005's 17x9
38x13.5x17 Geolander m/t

Future plans;
TF 6" long arm
Dana 60's / Hemi
40" meats
jk-forum.com
post #11 of 18 Old 12-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have the original head unit and no amplifier, yes. I added a component system from Alpine, which comes with the tweeters and two-ways (6.5 for the dash). They also come with a crossover, which you have to wire directly the head unit (mine is still the original) and then the crossover to the speakers. I've meaning to put in an amplifier, but haven't had the funds to do so..... why?

Swing

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
post #12 of 18 Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Wheeler

I will throw my 2 cents in here.

I was an Automotive OEM Speaker Engineer for 12 years.

Aftermarket speakers are not necessarily better than OEM speakers.

If your Jeep has the Infinity system in it, changing speakers can have a drastic effect on the sound of the system. The amplifier was specifically equalized for the speakers that are in the vehicle from the factory. If the new speakers have very different characteristics, they can sound really bad. If you plan on changing the speakers in an Infinity system, you might want to plan on changing the amplifier as well.

If your Jeep does not have the Infinity system, changing the speakers might improve the sound of the system if they are installed correctly.

I know OEM speakers might seem "cheap", but if you only knew how much it cost to make many of the aftermarket speakers...

Mark
post #13 of 18 Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshogren View Post
I will throw my 2 cents in here.

I was an Automotive OEM Speaker Engineer for 12 years.

Aftermarket speakers are not necessarily better than OEM speakers.

If your Jeep has the Infinity system in it, changing speakers can have a drastic effect on the sound of the system. The amplifier was specifically equalized for the speakers that are in the vehicle from the factory. If the new speakers have very different characteristics, they can sound really bad. If you plan on changing the speakers in an Infinity system, you might want to plan on changing the amplifier as well.

If your Jeep does not have the Infinity system, changing the speakers might improve the sound of the system if they are installed correctly.

I know OEM speakers might seem "cheap", but if you only knew how much it cost to make many of the aftermarket speakers...

Mark
Great info Mark

So what would you recommend? I have the infinity system but would like more sound.

changing speakers and amplifiers doesn't mean that the sound would be better! I know it could be louder but I'm looking for an overall enhancement.

Thanks

Luai
post #14 of 18 Old 12-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo2aY View Post
Great info Mark

So what would you recommend? I have the infinity system but would like more sound.

changing speakers and amplifiers doesn't mean that the sound would be better! I know it could be louder but I'm looking for an overall enhancement.

Thanks

Luai
Sound deaden the speaker pods. Don't wast your time with after market units unless you replace everything.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #15 of 18 Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinn407 View Post
Did anyone just replace the 6.5's without adding an amp or head unit??
I'm on my second JK. The first 1 had the factory Infinity system. I replaced all 4 speakers with Polk DB651S. It was a very noticeable improvement. With the new speakers the soundbar buzzed like hell, so I stuffed it with polyfill and that cured the problem.

The second JK was also the factory Infinity system. Initially I daynamatted the dash speaker pods and stuffed the soundbar with polyfill. I would say it made at least as much of a difference as replacing the speakers did on the first 1. Since then it's gotten completely out of control, but I'm still running the factory speakers in the dash and soundbar.

Either way is an improvement, but the dynamat's cheaper and may actually sound better. It's hard to say without having them side by side to compare.

2009 2 door Rubicon 6 Speed
post #16 of 18 Old 01-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Granite Guru

I say X2 on the dynamat & polyfil route, although i still replaced my speakers it still made a difference to deaden the enclosures

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
post #17 of 18 Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Granite Guru

I had a very interesting conversation with a guy awhile back who works at a local car audio shop..he said the stock head unit modulates the signal to the speakers, actually fading output to the rear speakers as the volume goes higher.....it's a built in feature that chrysler designed to keep it generic...
he also said the stock surrounds are great speakers...
It was questionable at first....till I replaced my head unit.. thats when I became a believer and have been shouting it from the rooftops ever since!
If you want better sound replace the pos head unit with something that has built in crossovers/high/low pass filters, add an amp/sub and boo-ya!

the stock deck produces somewhere in the range of 12-15 watts rms
any high-end aftermarket deck will produce at least 25 watts rms
and you'll be able to tailor the signal to your liking
the difference some are hearing after speaker swaps is most likely the better materials the higher end speakers are made of....but not actually producing more/louder sound

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
post #18 of 18 Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM

Just replaced factory speqkers with Boston Acoustics 5 1/4 component speakers in front, BA 5/15 coax in the Sound bar. They were better but still sounded hollow. This is an 07 X sport with standard system plus Sirius. I ditched the stock radio for a Pioneer AVH 3550 touchscreen unit to add backupm camera and HD radio. Also it plays nice with Iphone so you can use it as a Nav unit using the Iphone app. Today I played with the enclosures in front to get rid of the hollow sound and muddy bass. 1st off, added poly-fill to and enclosure. Better but still unacceptable. Next , remove poly-fill, add a 2x4 inch swatch of Dynamat on each side of the enclosure plus the back. This made a good improvement. Next put the poly-fill back in with the Dynamat. Incremntal improvement. Next removed the rubber plug in the back of the speaker box creating a bass port. Voila, huge improvement, muddy, rubbery base is gone. Hollow sound is gone.

Did the same poly-fill and dynamat in the sound bar, with excellent results. May try porting later. These small changes created an entirely different sound stage.

Also today replaced the original factory soft top with the Bestop Super Top NX Twill top. I gained the Sunrider feature, dark tinted windows and the whole thing is much quieter than original. It looks top shelf as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode