Jeep wont start (yeah another one) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-29-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Jeep wont start (yeah another one)

So i get in my jeep today, fire it up and all the idiot lights come on, gauges drop to nothing, chime is going nuts. I turn the jeep off to re-start and i get nothing, no crank. all the dash lights on, my super chips trail dash says unable to detect ignition. the dash lights thing happend the other day while i was driving but they went off on own and it also happend a few years ago. i cleaned batt terminal but then it got dark and i have no garage . i plan on checking all the ground i can find inside and out (stub is looking into what ground wire was loose on his when it wouldnt start) What else should i look at?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Something that seemed to almost always happen with my no-start issue, was that the windshield wipers would come on. They would cycle VERY slowly and just stop wherever they were at when I stopped trying to start it.

Also with mine, there were many times that the entry/ security ( red) light would just randomly illuminate on the right side of the dash cluster. This was when I would be driving the vehicle. Chime too.

I won't go into anymore detail here, as I'm sure you've read the other no-start threads already... in regards to pulling fuses, disconnecting battery overnight, etc.

As you know... It could be a ground, but it could also be a bad tipm or bad clock-spring among other things.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 13 Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

im hoping for ground, it has a newer clock spring (about 1 1/2 years old) figures i just spent a bunch of money on parts for my 5.9 grand

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok so i left batt unhooked over nite, and it started today, but with all the same things, all the lights are on, gauges dont work, hot oil message, sometimes while running the tach will try to work, then everything worked fine for about a second then it did all the same stuff again, turned it off and no crank. Is this a sign of tipm failure???

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 13 Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I sure sounds like it could be.

It honestly doesn't sound like a ground issue. At least in my particular instance, none of what you are describing was happening with mine.

I will still head up there today and see what I can find out regarding the loose ground... where it was located, but it really sounds like a tipm or other electrical issue.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 13 Old 07-30-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

So today i let the batt hookedup all day, got home and it fired right up, no problems, then a second later the tach started jumping around, oil light came on, hot oil message, cooling fan on high, then the rest of the lights came on and no crank after i tured it off. i check all the grounds i could find, looked at the back of tipm , couldnt find anything loose or out of place, also checked the 2 grounds on the inside by drivers foot well.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #7 of 13 Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I went up there but unfortunately the tech that figured mine out, wasn't there today. He IS supposed to be there tomorrow so I will run back up there and see if he can give me any info that might help.

post #8 of 13 Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
ok so i left batt unhooked over nite, and it started today, but with all the same things, all the lights are on, gauges dont work, hot oil message, sometimes while running the tach will try to work, then everything worked fine for about a second then it did all the same stuff again, turned it off and no crank. Is this a sign of tipm failure???
I had a ford that did what you are describing and it was the wiring harness that ran through the fire wall. The hole didnt have a grommet on it and the wires chaffed and grounded out.

The only diff is mine was intermittent and my car still started and ran despite the gauges dancing.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-31-2014, 02:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you still have the factory sway bar disconnect? If so unplug it and leave it unplugged see if it happens again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #10 of 13 Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i do have factory swaybar plugged in and it hasent worked it awhile, i just used the trail dash to turn the light off. ill go unplug it now and see what happens in the morning

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #11 of 13 Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
you still have the factory sway bar disconnect? If so unplug it and leave it unplugged see if it happens again.
Dude you are the man!!!!! next time you make it back up here i owe you a keg of your fav brew. I pulled the plug and it was melted around the pins. Iwas planning on taking it to the dealer tomorrow. THANK YOU

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #12 of 13 Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
Dude you are the man!!!!! next time you make it back up here i owe you a keg of your fav brew. I pulled the plug and it was melted around the pins. Iwas planning on taking it to the dealer tomorrow. THANK YOU
glad that was it, mine did some crazy crap when it went also except I was driving from PA to NJ at the time and had read about the sway bar before and mine hadnt worked in long time either lol. I live back in NJ now for a couple years, I'll take a keg of sprite haha. I just covered my plug with a ziplock bag and then covered that with electrical tape lol, had it that way a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #13 of 13 Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

well if we get get to rausch at the same ever time dinner is on me

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode