sPOD vs Painless Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage
sPOD vs Painless Kit

Looking at switch solutions for wiring lights, lockers, etc..

On one hand, the sPOD solution looks good. The aesthetics look to be well integrated into the Jeep and it's clean under the hood. Talking with John from sPOD in another tread seem to show the guy is on top of things, which is a huge credit to him and his company... but money is also a big deal these days. Plus he is a forum sponsor.

On the other hand, I was looking at something like a Painless CirKit Boss fuse block along with a Cool Tech Switch Panel or Daystar Switch Panel which seems to give everything the sPOD does for less than half the cost.

Cons for the Painless and Cool Tech vs sPOD seem to be aesthetics (subjective) and the loss of one switch. Cons for the Painless and Daystar vs sPOD seem to be the loss of two switches and slightly less as nice looking.

Cost is a huge difference.

Is there anything I am missing that the sPOD does that the Painless w/ other switches don't?

Last edited by abendx; 12-27-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

You get what you pay for. I was able to install and wire in the sPOD with the help of my brother-in-law. Simple clean installation. And I mean simple. I know nothing about relays and switches and I still don't but did not need to. I wired in my ARB pump and front and rear locker switches using John's ARB cable accessory kit. I can now turn on my front locker without the rear being engaged. This is nice because i have an ATLAS transfer case which allow me to do the same with the axles. I have my winch controls on two other switches and driving lights on the last. No problems with the computer. Last night, I left the pump and lockers on. No problem, I really don't think the pump ran any but I have the battery protector to keep from draining it over night. Are these options available with the other systems? Plus, the system is very nicely packaged. Looks stock inside the Jeep and under the hood.

John just needs to find more places to put switches for the switchaholics around here.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #3 of 92 Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Thanks JKDoc.

Sounds like the sPOD you've got has that "low voltage cutoff," a nice feature!

Since the Painless CirKit Boss that I am looking at all seven circuits as "ignition hot," it seems to me that this problem is solved. Assuming one remembers to take the keys with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I like that John has the system set up to be user friendly with installation as well as the low voltage cutoff protector. Installed mine in about 30 mins.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 92 Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

I wanted something straight forward and easy to install. I looked at the cirkit boss first, and every time I though about mounting, wiring, protection etc, my head would start to spin... where to locate the fuses? how do you protect them? what else is needed to complete the wiring?

sPod was in in 30 min, winch was wired in 15min, locker in 2 min. Directions were clear and easy, fuses are protected, no additional wiring necessary. The only thing that missing to me is "ignition hot" control.

I think its a great piece of equipment.

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
post #6 of 92 Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

and to really answer your question: no there is nothing that sPod does that the painless system cant.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #7 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
On the other hand, I was looking at something like a Painless CirKit Boss fuse block along with a Cool Tech Switch Panel or Daystar Switch Panel which seems to give everything the sPOD does for less than half the cost...
I went with the Painless CirKit Boss with 4 switched and 3 always hot circuits and and mounted it behind the lower panel under the steering wheel. The power to the circuit goes to the battery and is protected by a circuit breaker.

For mounting switches I just used the area above the speaker on the driver's side of the dash.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #8 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

The gauge that John can build into the sPOD is nice for OBA installations. He's also got a nice adapter harness for an ARB compressor and lockers that JKDoc mentioned.

The service and support is absolutely outstanding and the product is great. Simple, easy to install, and easy to use. Worth the $$ for sure.
post #9 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

thats nice and clean. How easy was the wiring for the cirkit boss? do you have a writeup for what you did? If I need to add more switches I will probably go this route...

Joe -
-
-
-
post #10 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM
JKowners Vendor

Apples to Apples

Abendx (Brad)
I wish more people did their homework like this before doing any purchases or modifications to their Jeep!
Doing it yourself is a great idea and I think you will get a lot of satisfaction from it as well. I encourage people to do it yourself as much as possible so if they ever have to fix it themselves on the trail, they know how to tackle it.

Please call me any time if you need any advice or assistance with your project Abendx.

Painless makes fantastic products and is well versed in the automotive industry and their parts when combined will do what the sPOD system will do. Also DayStar and CoolTech LLC have great alternatives for switches and switch locations.

Let’s compare apples to apples here though when costs "quote" (Cost is a huge difference. ), and completeness are involved:

There are a few items left off your list to complete a system from the items described compared to the sPOD system:

Relays, Relay holders / sockets or the Painless Part# 30108 6-Pack Relay Bank
Diodes (some are built into the relays)
Ring terminals, push on terminals, and spade terminals
Mounting brackets / hardware
Wire
Wire covering of some sort
Connectors
Shrink tubing
A box or housing for the power distribution system to house your relays fuses

"NOTE" shipping costs, fuel and time are not included in any of the cost comparisons here.

Now we have a “apples to apples” comparison for cost.

One of the interesting features of Jeep modifications is the high-level of execution of electrical modifications. While everyone should strive for a top-notch design and installation, it's scarily common to see hacked-up electrical jobs (search the forums), mostly on trailered rigs but sometimes on daily drivers as well. For folks that depend on their rig's reliability in remote locations, that is not an option!
All of our harnesses are individually wrapped by a specialized piece of equipment that is normally used in the race and aircraft industry with abrasion / heat resistant nylon: see below"

Our circuit breaker includes a boot to protect against shorting (CirKit Boss does not include this)

All your accessories power components will be attached in one place.

Behind our switch console:

Quote:
Looking at switch solutions for wiring lights, lockers, etc..

On one hand, the sPOD solution looks good. The aesthetics look to be well integrated into the Jeep and it's clean under the hood. Talking with John from sPOD in another tread seem to show the guy is on top of things, which is a huge credit to him and his company... but money is also a big deal these days. Plus he is a forum sponsor.

On the other hand, I was looking at something like a Painless CirKit Boss fuse block along with a Cool Tech Switch Panel or Daystar Switch Panel which seems to give everything the sPOD does for less than half the cost.

Cons for the Painless and Cool Tech vs sPOD seem to be aesthetics (subjective) and the loss of one switch. Cons for the Painless and Daystar vs sPOD seem to be the loss of two switches and slightly less as nice looking.

Cost is a huge difference.

Is there anything I am missing that the sPOD does that the Painless w/ other switches don't?

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #11 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Granite Guru

Let me add that the sPOD system is sweet.

Back when I installed the Painless setup it was about all that was available in December 2006. I do try to be as neat and clean as possible with my modifications. You can see the circuit breaker for the Painless fuse block in this picture...

Somehow this pictures seems wrong to me. And I did it.

Dual batteries was a project that just kept going and going...

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #12 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPOD-guy View Post
There are a few items left off your list
Hi John... wow, great response!

One thing I am confused about, does the Painless system not include the relays?

Maybe JDROGERS is best to answer since he's installed the CirKit?
post #13 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Basically no. It is more of an "old school" power distribution block providing fused circuits. There is one relay to power the ignition switched circuits. Power is supplied to the fuse block through a 40 amp circuit breaker. Then there are a total of seven fused circuits. Four are switched with the ignition and three are always hot.

The sPod system provides individual switches for each of the circuits provided. Each of the circuits is on a relay and is protected.

These two items should really not be compared. They provide very different functionality.

I installed the Painless one to get a fused power source for my heated seats, CB, and other types of circuits. I am using separate discreet relays for off road lights and such.

2007 Stone White Rubicon

Last edited by jdrogers; 12-28-2009 at 01:19 PM.
post #14 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
JKowners Vendor

Thanks Brad!
We are here if you need anything at all! I have been into this hobby we call Jeeping for over 30 years now...so we are no stranger when it comes to fabbing up cool things for our Jeeps.

As far as the Cirkit-Boss including relays, yes it includes only one relay for the fuse box itself. In order keep larger loads off the switches, relays are required. The Cirkit-Boss handles up to 20 amp applications only.
The 6-Pack Relay Bank is $290.79 and has 24 leads comming off of it. Imagine how many wires would be running under your hood!
some of the pre-wiring stuff that was replaced by one of our systems.

I think if you do the math, and being super realistic about the whole project, you will find that our system is very reasonably priced.
If you ever get a chance, please take a look at our system in person, pictures just do not justify it at all! All our core component's are made right here in the USA by the same folks that enjoy the hobby we call "Jeepin"

Thanks again and let me know if you need help building your project power distribution system.

Keep on Jeepin!

Quote:

PED'sReady0219 likes this.

-John the sPOD guy
post #15 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Okay... sold that the cost difference is minimal and the plug and play, aesthetics, and amazing customer service tips the scale in a huge way... I'll be ordering soon John.
post #16 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Okay... sold that the cost difference is minimal and the plug and play, aesthetics, and amazing customer service tips the scale in a huge way... I'll be ordering soon John.
You won't be dissapointed. The sPod is a great piece of equipment.

Jason
post #17 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Safari Straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
You won't be dissapointed. The sPod is a great piece of equipment.
X2
post #18 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 01:46 PM
JKowners Vendor

Brad,
I don't want to sell anything to anyone, but what I want is people to be informed. I really don't mind helping people with their projects...how do you think ideas come about!

I'm out-a-here! got to get down into the shop for a while and get off this stinking computer so I can get @#hit done!

Quote:

-John the sPOD guy
post #19 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Wheeler

X3, the best thing I ever bought for my jeep. When your talking about meeting the bar, sPOD is the bar.
post #20 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 03:53 PM
JKO Addict!

JKO Vendor versus NOT a JKO vendor...just say'n

If thats not enough, John is a hell of a guy and stands behind his sPOD. Its very simple to install and John has always been right there if I had questions or needed anything. As its been said...You get what you pay for. Some of what your paying for wont come in the box but come from the great response you'll get on the other end of the phone if you ever need it. You cant go wrong with sPOD trust me!
post #21 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

My god.... now I know why sPOD was banned from that other HOMO's website.... he was taking all the sheep and making them his followers!!
post #22 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Wheeler

The sheep got smart. BAaaaaaaaa.
post #23 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 06:18 PM
JKowners Vendor

Hey now! We never had a chance to get banned! We were black listed!
But that's another story for another day on another thread.

See
Ya

Quote:
My god.... now I know why sPOD was banned from that other HOMO's website.... he was taking all the sheep and making them his followers!!

-John the sPOD guy
post #24 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
We never had a chance to get banned! We were black listed!
Aren't we the special one...
post #25 of 92 Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Brad,
I don't want to sell anything to anyone, but what I want is people to be informed. I really don't mind helping people with their projects...how do you think ideas come about!

I'm out-a-here! got to get down into the shop for a while and get off this stinking computer so I can get @#hit done!
You don't want to sell anything to anyone?....does that mean the sPODs we bought were actually early Christmas presents and receiving a FULL refund for other mods?! HAHA Just kidding.

With that....the sPOD has proven it's value to my family and I. ESPECIALLY controlling the kid's back seat DVD dual screen player. When they start fighting over shows, I just hit the switch for it and then it gets REALLY QUIET! Then they give in to each other and I can wheel in peace! LOL

U.S. Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode