GPS with Tracks for offroad - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-26-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
GPS with Tracks for offroad

Edit- DeLorme PN40 is winning the GPS functional battle for me after looking at the posts here. I still have some more research to do but I really want to thank everyone for their thoughtful posts. It is nice to see what others are using and why they like what they have in a GPS. Looks like any of the suggestions will work for me now I just have to pick from lots of great choices. This is like picking a wheel for the Jeep.

Wanting a recommendation for GPS with tracks feature for offroad.
-Not built into audio system
-Tracks feature
-Readable - 48 yrs. old
-Still useable on the street

I have a Garmin GPS 200w that works well on the street. I have used it offroad but it can't save tracks. I have saved points but it is just not the same. I have downloaded a TOPO map but the memory is too small. I could get a card for it but it still can't save my tracks.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 12-30-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Granite Guru

I went with the Magellan Crossover off a recomendation from a friend. Very happy with it.

08 Rescue Green Rubi - SOLD
O5 - LJ Rubicon RK Xfactor long arm
post #3 of 15 Old 12-27-2009, 05:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

After I went rounds with Magellan over map updates on a unit that was just a year old, I won't buy another Magellan ever..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.

Last edited by benmar2000; 12-27-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Granite Guru

De Lorme Topo 8 and PN 40. Had most of the trails we ran in Moab. Did not have Poison Spider. Plan your routes on the computer, transfer the data or not. Base data is great and you can download USGS 7.5 minute maps onto removable memory. You can use the PN40 as an antenna and hook to computer with USB. Now you have a 15 inch screen to look at. Letters 2 inches tall. Works great for 56 year old eyes. Picks up all satellites while inside the motorhome. Best unit I have had on land. I won't buy another Garmin or Magellan.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #5 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I had a Crossover and wasn't happy. I would stick with Garmin for software reasons.

The 60csx is a great unit, but if you are new to GPS and want a much more user friendly unit go with an Oregon.

I have a 400t which comes preloaded with topo maps. I have since purchased Garmins City Navigator software which has all the roads and pretty much every two track even. I have then loaded some 24k topo from a free internet site and I can do everything. And it's easier to use than the 60csx.

You could go with any of the Oregons if you load the maps like I did. They are all the same except the 200 has less memory and no wireless transfer and the 500 has the camera. If I had it to do again, i would go with a 300 and load my maps.

You will likely end up buying new map software for the 60csx once you start playing more with it too, so it comes down to which gps you like better as they have the same capabilities.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 04:29 PM

The Delorme PN30/40 are very nice GPS's and do tracking very well, They are going to have a new update out in spring that will allow you to not only save tracks to the SD card but also load them back into the unit to view them. Garmin will save full resolution tracks to the SD card but you can not bring them back into the unit. The PN40 will also save 10 tracks internally at 10,000 points each, The Garmin 60/76 series still limits saved tracks to only 500 points each.
Were the Delorme shines is its Maps, so much better IMO than any of the Garmin maps. also you can create 'draw layers' and display them over your map, so you can have one draw layer with all the trails in Moab for example, very cool.
You can also display Sat , Aerial, and USGS images on the unit.

Another one is the Lowrance XOG (discontinued but still can be found) I use this in my JK and works great, Does tracks ( can load track files from the SD card with each file of up to 100 tracks @ 9,999 points in each track)and Topo.

Below Map screen showing tracks recorded on my Garmin 60c displaying on the XOG with Topo

Last edited by rwamf; 12-28-2009 at 04:45 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Granite Guru

I have been using Delorme software for ages. I previously used an iPaq 2215 in my TJ and haven't setup anything in my JK yet.

I'm planning on getting a Samsung N130-13B Netbook and using Delorme Street Atlas (with TOPO maps) on it. I'm thinking of making a mount for the netbook right in front of the radio.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #8 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Great GPS information!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Wheeler

I use the DeLorme PN-40 with the extra onboard memory. You start looking at the costs of the TOPO maps and it is a no brainer

Jeep Green-08-Rubicon Unlimited
4" Teraflex lift with Flex arms and forged Track Bar
37" IROKS
Rock Hard Oil/tranny/transfer case/gas tank skids
LOD Front Stubby/IPF 900XS Driving Lights
Warn Powerplant HP
Shrockworks Rear Bumper
5.13s and Superior Rear Shafts
RCVs
Solid Diff Covers
Cobra 75 WX ST/3' Firestick II
Wood SS Braket/Evap Relo kit
TF SS
Driveshafts Unlimited front Driveshaft
Tom Woods Read Driveshaft
Homemade swingaway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Granite Guru

you can recieve tracks from a nuvi 200. You would need to download MapSource from the garmin website.it just wont let you view them on the unit. If your looking for a Garmin that is easy to use for both on road and off that will provide track log data and the use of cordinates for locations etc. you should look at the nuvi 500. It has all the mapping built so there is no need to purchase the topo usa maps. i belive its the 1:100,000 scale though. they now offer a 24k for most of the US. You can download mapsource for free. It will also still use a sd card for pics, and mp3's if you want them.

I am kind of partial to Garmin but their product and mapping really isthe way to go..
I believe the slogan is "Get a Garmin or get lost"

07 Jeep Green Unlimited
3.5"RE,AEVHood,SPOD,BW flatfenders,ARB OBA, JKS discos, Adj UCA's,Evo sleeves,Gussetts,17"procomp7005's, 37WildPeakAt's,SmittyBilt XRC front and rear,XRC 8000 comp series w/synthetic line, Flomaster 40,6" KC lights,8" KC rally lights, Kenwood 8120, Morel Dotech components, fosgate t6 amps, Fosgate 10's,Painted interior trim,grill inserts,Coast 1310DS,ARB onboard air,wind deflectors,DupliColor Bed lined top

Last edited by gonegrn; 12-29-2009 at 11:01 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM

PN-60

Since my PN40 has been the best GPS I have owned and proven to be very durable and has the best Maps, This new one WILL BE on my handle bars , this is great, Finding my buddies and able to send text long distances will make the adventure even better not having to worry about my buds

Delorme has really stepped up to provide a great tool for riding off-road
'gpx' tracks on the SD card YEAH, able to load them at any time without a PC Double YEAH!,
Cant wait
post #12 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use a Crossover to get me there and a PN-20 when running around the woods. I tried using just the crossover for everything but mine had a nasty habit of locking up and loosing the last few miles of tracks when it came back up.

Delorme support is top notch (IME) and the PN-20 does plenty for me. The only big difference I noticed between the PN-20 and the PN-40 and 60 where the processor speed and SD card capacity. Oh and $$$. The TOPO USA software is tha bomb! With the bundle deal ( IIRC it was around $200 for the PN-20 w/ Topo USA 8.0 & a $40 gift card for quad downloads) you get major bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
I use a Crossover to get me there and a PN-20 when running around the woods. I tried using just the crossover for everything but mine had a nasty habit of locking up and loosing the last few miles of tracks when it came back up.

Delorme support is top notch (IME) and the PN-20 does plenty for me. The only big difference I noticed between the PN-20 and the PN-40 and 60 where the processor speed and SD card capacity. Oh and $$$. The TOPO USA software is tha bomb! With the bundle deal ( IIRC it was around $200 for the PN-20 w/ Topo USA 8.0 & a $40 gift card for quad downloads) you get major bang for the buck.
There are some great deals on the PN30 and PN40 , a friend just got a new PN40 for $199 at Amazon a few weeks ago, That was the first clue on a newer unit coming out.( The PN30 has the same processor and speed as the 40, just does not have the altimeter and electronic compass )
post #14 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf View Post
There are some great deals on the PN30 and PN40 , a friend just got a new PN40 for $199 at Amazon a few weeks ago, That was the first clue on a newer unit coming out.( The PN30 has the same processor and speed as the 40, just does not have the altimeter and electronic compass )
True, true. My PN-20 purchase was around June of last year. Any way you go, IMO it's hard to beat Delorme GPS's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Rock God

Garage
Magellan Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGJEEPER View Post
I went with the Magellan Crossover off a recomendation from a friend. Very happy with it.
I got one of those too. My wife really likes it! In fact it has ended up in her car so I seldom see it.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode