Running light problem driving me nuts ! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-20-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Running light problem driving me nuts !

2008 Wrangler Unlimited, right side running light will not illuminate when headlights turned on. It does work for the right turn signal and flashes in response upon locking with the keyless remote. I changed both 3157 bulbs and the fuse for this looks good. All other lighting works fine. I can't find this specific problem on any Jeep forums. What am I not seeing here?
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk54 View Post
What am I not seeing here?
Mark
Corrosion/bad connection in the plug itself? Broken wire (not necessarily right at the plug)? Is the tail light also out? Had an apparently identical issue the other day on my '12. It has separate fuses for brake/marker and blinker. If the tail is out too, check for a different fuse than the one you say is good. Also, try swapping around fuses. Sometimes it's hard to see the open area, and sometimes they just go bad.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Corrosion/bad connection in the plug itself? Broken wire (not necessarily right at the plug)? Is the tail light also out? Had an apparently identical issue the other day on my '12. It has separate fuses for brake/marker and blinker. If the tail is out too, check for a different fuse than the one you say is good. Also, try swapping around fuses. Sometimes it's hard to see the open area, and sometimes they just go bad.
I switched out bulbs and fuses I knew to be good, no luck. I should more accurately identify the lights as the amber parking lights under the headlights on the front grille, not any type of marking lights. Must be a wire or connection I guess, Thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Granite Guru

Fuse m18 is for the RF park lamp...
White and tan wire is the feed, black is the ground

The park signal control is handled by the TIPM... it comes out of C3, pin number 12
If I had to guess, I would say the fuse (m18) is blown OR the fuse is blown and a code has set in the TIPM which can make the TIPM not apply voltage to that light until the fault and code is cleared.... check the fuse, be sure there isn't a short to ground and disconnect the battery for a bit
post #5 of 15 Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I switched out bulbs and fuses I knew to be good, no luck. I should more accurately identify the lights as the amber parking lights under the headlights on the front grille, not any type of marking lights. Must be a wire or connection I guess, Thanks, Mark
Yeah, poor choice of terms on my part. I knew which light you were talking about. Sounds like you've done all the first-step stuff. Still sounds just like my issue, so I would take Demon's advice on clearing the TIPM fault condition before I put too much effort into the other stuff. Be sure and let us know what it turns out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post

The park signal control is handled by the TIPM... it comes out of C3, pin number 12
If I had to guess, I would say the fuse (m18) is blown OR the fuse is blown and a code has set in the TIPM which can make the TIPM not apply voltage to that light until the fault and code is cleared.... check the fuse, be sure there isn't a short to ground and disconnect the battery for a bit
Good info Demon. Didn't think about having to clear a code. Danged computer control nonsense. Fortunately my issue didn't require it.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #6 of 15 Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Did everything you suggested, no luck. I switched fuses 18 & 17 that control L&R side, same result so both are working. Is C3 pin #12 something in the TIPM box? Any way to reset codes ? Mark
post #7 of 15 Old 07-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Granite Guru

Pin 12, c3 is the connector going OUT of the TIPM to the light....
I would disconnect the battery... remove the power wire to the TIPM... remove the TIPM from its mounts (simply push the retainer tabs..4 of them), lift the TIPM, unplug ALL the TIPM connectors and inspect the bottom of the tipm and each connector for corrosion, if any is found,use electrical cleaner, put generous amounts of dielectric grease on connectors and TIPM,reinstall...
While you have the TIPM out, remove the bulb and make sure the circuit isn't shorted to ground (OHM meter between circuit and ground) OR, if you are savy,load test the circuit (more advanced test)
post #8 of 15 Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Wheeler

i got about the same problem. only getting 3.5 volts to right park light [front]. did about all the checking i could do. even changed multifunction switch w/bat disconnected. now both front park lights out. WHAT AND WHERE IS ''TIPM'' ? please/////// NEVERMIND, I found out what it is. I think i'll let the dealer find the prob. too much can go wrong starting messing with stuff like that

Last edited by westvirginiaclay; 07-23-2014 at 08:47 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Pin 12, c3 is the connector going OUT of the TIPM to the light....
I would disconnect the battery... remove the power wire to the TIPM... remove the TIPM from its mounts (simply push the retainer tabs..4 of them), lift the TIPM, unplug ALL the TIPM connectors and inspect the bottom of the tipm and each connector for corrosion, if any is found,use electrical cleaner, put generous amounts of dielectric grease on connectors and TIPM,reinstall...
While you have the TIPM out, remove the bulb and make sure the circuit isn't shorted to ground (OHM meter between circuit and ground) OR, if you are savy,load test the circuit (more advanced test)
Well... this situation just a whole lot wackier.... I did what you suggested with the exception of unplugging the TIPM underside connections. They all seemed to have different ways of uncoupling the haves and I did not want to risk breaking any plastic locking tabs. I rechecked the fuses and manipulated the light wiring harness connections to check for a loose wire but found nothing obvious. Then, when I got in the Jeep and turned on the parking lights, the left worked fine but the right side now won't light when the turn signal is turned on. In addition, the right turn signal has the audible clicks but on the ninth blink the speed doubles as does the light in the right rear tail light. I'm about to throw in the towel and take it to my dealership. It just might be a FUBAR situation. Thanks for all the help Forum friends. Mark

Last edited by walk54; 07-23-2014 at 11:20 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-23-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well... this situation just a whole lot wackier.... I did what you suggested with the exception of unplugging the TIPM underside connections. They all seemed to have different ways of uncoupling the haves and I did not want to risk breaking any plastic locking tabs. I rechecked the fuses and manipulated the light wiring harness connections to check for a loose wire but found nothing obvious. Then, when I got in the Jeep and turned on the parking lights, the left worked fine but the right side now won't light when the turn signal is turned on. In addition, the right turn signal has the audible clicks but on the ninth blink the speed doubles as does the light in the right rear tail light. I'm about to throw in the towel and take it to my dealership. It just might be a FUBAR situation. Thanks for all the help Forum friends. Mark
I now realize the rapid turn signal effect is a warning device to advise a bulb is out or otherwise malfunctioning so that is not a problem. I uncoupled the socket and found just a little corrosion on the pins but after cleaning the contacts it still won't work.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Granite Guru

unfortunately, I can probably diagnose that problem within a few minutes, but only in person.... you may need to bring it to a guru..
post #12 of 15 Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Check grounds at bulb socket.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #13 of 15 Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Wheeler

my problem was the ground wire from steering column to computer was broken somewhere. took dealer few hours to fig. out. Dealer ran new ground instead of spending too much time finding break in ground. HORN. PARK LIGHTS[front] BLINKERS WORKING now. [computer= TIPM ]
post #14 of 15 Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvirginiaclay View Post
my problem was the ground wire from steering column to computer was broken somewhere. took dealer few hours to fig. out. Dealer ran new ground instead of spending too much time finding break in ground. HORN. PARK LIGHTS[front] BLINKERS WORKING now. [computer= TIPM ]
I replaced the socket and still no luck. I'll have my dealer check it out, I'm getting nowhere. Thanks for all the info and advice. Mark
post #15 of 15 Old 08-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Wheeler

thats how my problem started. right front park/blinker would blink but when turn on lights it would not light up or blink. i was only getting enough volts to blink but not light up. then horn quit. then left front quit too. it turn out to be broken ground between steering column and TIPM. dealer ran new ground instead of looking for broken ground. all is working now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode