Q about playing DVD when driving - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Q about playing DVD when driving

Ok I know its illegal to drive while playing a movie....I really don't care. Is there a way to get it to play? I like to let my kid watch a flick when on a long drive.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to 08RubiUnlimited

If you have the MyGig then check out the Lockpick. I got one for $199, it does lots of cool stuff including DVD in motion, Nav in motion, front/rear camera, and rear monitors.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Wheeler

Talking Lock Pick

You can buy something like this to enable video in motion, along with a few other features which are blocked from the factory.

YouTube - MYGIG RADIO FEATURES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not sure about the mygig but I just grounded out the wire that tells the unit that it is in "park" it is the purple wire on the Kenwood units (if I remember correctly).
post #5 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

do you have the stock radio/screen?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #6 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Granite Guru

Nav-Tv also sells a plug in device to activate all the features. I'm sure if you do a search, you will find all kinds of opinions on this.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

-beermonkey- Yes it is the original equipment.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

think the locpic would be your best bet

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #9 of 13 Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Granite Guru

I have been using the TVandNav2Go for about 6 months in my 2008 - I updated with the most recent version software from http://mofv.com/mygig/

It sells for $199 with the multimedia/video cable included (less $$ if you are part of a group buy - they do deals, 20+ units brings it down to $125 if my memory is correct). They have a website and ebay store. I bought some cameras from Amazon on the cheap. I opened the dash side panel on the passenger side and placed it in there, cables were long enough.

It appears to be the same Asian source hardware as the $325 Coastaletch lockpick - I've taken mine apart to examine plus the instructions and user interface is identical. Of course these things are largely firmware on an ASIC and I didn't attempt a flash dump to check if the contents are the same - Coastaletech might be adding something better in firmware - I don't know but I haven't seen anything.

I just know that since I do electronics related work I hate spending money on it.
It was difficult to spend $199 - but $325 from Costaletech was out of the question. There is not much to these units - the cost is not the hardware but the design/software development (including any licensing if they bother with that). I'm not recommending one over the other - I almost NEVER recommend electronics - LOL. If you aren't willing to take a chance on no support - buy one of the more expensive units where the company will service/update the product such as NavTV who has been around a long time.

For me - I'd rather spend the $199 and take my chances instead of $325 (coastaletech) or $353 (NavTV Allgig USB + AV cable) Personally, I would buy Allgig over Coastaletech only because it is updateable - odds are the factory isn't going to do some strange update to disable the Allgig but it is nice that NavTV has the ability to make changes just in case).

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #10 of 13 Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Granite Guru

So has anyone tried doing the "grounding"/parking break idea with the MyGig to get the DVD in motion to work?
post #11 of 13 Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

only problem with that (doubt it would even work) is the annoying chime from moving with the e-brake on. the grounding of the p-brake is more of a aftermarket radio thing

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #12 of 13 Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Gotcha...I figured someone would have explored it already. Plus the locpik wouldn't be as popular if the fix was that simple.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I've had both the lockpick and the nav-tv allgig usb. the lockpick gave me problems and i got lousy support. got rid of it and bought the allgig usb. have not had any problems. the allgig is updateable through the USB connection on the black box. simply go to their website, find the update for your mygig and download it to a laptop. then upgrade. with lockpick or any others when they come out with an updated model you're stuck with the one you have or have to buy another. Nav-tv also has optional connections for rear dvd players, front and rear cameras, u-connect mic and also a FLIR (forward looking infra red system) available to play through the mygig.try sending the Chinese shit back when it does not work my .02

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode