help needed, cb radio kit not working - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

help needed, cb radio kit not working

I bought this kit...

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/jk-jeep-cb-kit.html

and when I installed it, I was getting sky high swr meter readings. I tried installing extra grounds, nothing really worked. Now the swr meter won't move at all. It won't respond to me pressing the mic button.

I've checked the inline fuse, I tried a new swr meter, I tried an extra ground from the antenna to the frame. I cant seem to get this thing working. It still appears to receive radio chatter, weather channels, etc, but What can I do to get the swr meter reading again???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Granite Guru

My wife to install a cb radio..... might need some help also with installation knowledge.. i will sit back and read..

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anyone have any clue what might cause a swr meter not to read anything???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14jkaltitude View Post
Anyone have any clue what might cause a swr meter not to read anything???
Outside chance the SWR meter is bad, but blown final amps in the radio is a good guess. Extended periods of transmitting with ultra high SWR will do it and any manual you pick up will state that. You could verify by connecting your radio to someone else's antenna with known good SWR. Should be an easy thing to do with that radio. If it still has no output, then it's probably toast.

How high was the SWR? Some radios have a protection circuit that will decrease power if SWR is too high. This is to protect the finals. So it could be that your SWR is so high that your radio is protecting itself by shutting down the transmit power. Try the following and see what you find:

If you have a multimeter, disconnect your coax from both the radio and antenna and check to be sure it's not shorted between the center conductor and the braid. You don't want continuity from the center pin to the outer conductor of the connector.

Also, depending on which antenna and mount you have, it could be that the center conductor is shorting to the ground (body/frame) side of the mount. (This is actually more likely than a shorted coax.) After you verify the coax is not shorted, re-connect it to the antenna and check it again. If you now have continuity where you didn't before, be sure your antenna is electrically isolated from any metal-to-metal contact at the mount.

BTW where are you?

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info, I'm located in western pa. I spoke with the company today, and they are going to send me a new radio. I tested everything, and the only real thing it could be is a bad radio unit. I will post an update once I get the new unit.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14jkaltitude View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm located in western pa. I spoke with the company today, and they are going to send me a new radio. I tested everything, and the only real thing it could be is a bad radio unit. I will post an update once I get the new unit.
Sounds like you got lucky. When the new one comes in, don't key up for extended periods (more than a few seconds) until you get that SWR under control. Think about SWR as reflected power. The antenna is rejecting the transmit power because it isn't resonant and all that power is going right back into the radio -- which is bad.

Lots of resources out there to help you set SWR, but in general, check it on 1, 19, and 40 and adjust according to what you find. Ideally it should be low on 19 and slightly higher at each end of the band. If it's high on 40 and lower on 19, lower still on 1, then your antenna is too short and needs lengthened. If it's opposite, it needs shortened. Go slow and don't do anything drastic. This should get it where you want it with a little patience.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #7 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

while you're waiting for the replacement radio, check your cable and antenna installation. Sounds like you got a short.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #8 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
while you're waiting for the replacement radio, check your cable and antenna installation. Sounds like you got a short.
I tried swapping coax cables and jumper cables, and neither one made a difference, so I don't believe the short is in those. I added an extra ground to the antenna, and that did not seem to help either.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I got the new radio, installed it, and right away was able to tune it. Not sure what was wrong with the old unit, but the new unit works great now.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Thats great news, I have the exact same one from them coming in mail...thanks for the posts guys..

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Rock God

JFYI, you'll probably be upgrading that Cobra CB at some point.

It is with out a doubt the worst CB radio out there.

Least amount of power
worst performing.

Don't get me wrong I liked the idea of it at first too when I bought a used one. to replace my 15-20 year old one I had. Guess what I never had anything but issues with it, others in the jeep clubs I ran with had nothing but issues with them. and everyone ended up shit canning them, or pawning them off on some other sucker for an upgrade.

Good luck with yours though if you don't wheel alot or hardly ever use one I'm sure it will be fine.

2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)
post #12 of 13 Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Glad the new radio solved the problem. Only thing I hate worse than chasing electrical problems is plumbing,

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #13 of 13 Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoth99 View Post
JFYI, you'll probably be upgrading that Cobra CB at some point.

It is with out a doubt the worst CB radio out there.

Least amount of power
worst performing.

Don't get me wrong I liked the idea of it at first too when I bought a used one. to replace my 15-20 year old one I had. Guess what I never had anything but issues with it, others in the jeep clubs I ran with had nothing but issues with them. and everyone ended up shit canning them, or pawning them off on some other sucker for an upgrade.

Good luck with yours though if you don't wheel alot or hardly ever use one I'm sure it will be fine.
Agreed - I had one of these all-in-handset CB's as well. It was horrible on the trail, people could barely hear me. Upgraded to a Cobra 29LX which was only about $25 more and all was fine. And the full size radios include built in meters so you don't need to spend the $10-$15 on a standalone SWR metr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode