JKOwners Forum banner

twin ARB

5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  annerj 
#1 · (Edited)
Installed twin ARB compressor and m.o.r.e.engine mount. The install was kinda a pain when it comes to the mounting bracket. Being a plumber with big hands sucked getting bolts in. I also bought the Spod harness.. I will say it's useless unless running air lockers. You can just tie into the black and purple line and run those two right to spod.
As far as the compressor I ran the 1/8" tubing for air gauge on spod and 3/8" hose. With heat protection wrap to inside front bumper for disconnect. Bought a 25' no kink hose it reaches all four tires easily. Aired down a tire to 18 psi like I would on trail. It took 1 min 15 sec to air back to 38 psi.
I will at some point run air to rear and install a tank sonewhere. The ARB twin has a built in switch that stops it at 150 psi.. (nice)!.
Overall I say both the spod and twin compressor were smart choices and am very happy. I had the 12 v portable compressor from harbor freight it would take 4 min to air a tire and shut off due to over heating after 2 tires for 30 min.. I had to do something better..

Any questions on either install just ask.

See less See more
#2 ·

pic of moved d2's.

#3 ·
Have a friend doing the twin ARB...looks really nice and sounds like it performs well. I'm using the ViAir currently but may swap out if the performance is as much better as it sounds to be.

We've build a set of hoses that allow us to air down or up all four tires at once. Its been really nice vs doing one by one.

#4 ·
I seen that on a vid on you tube..nice..

#5 ·
Aired down a tire to 18 psi like I would on trail. It took 1 min 15 sec to air back to 38 psi.
Consider airing down to 12 psi on the trail (and airing back up to 28 psi on the street if on 35s).
38 psi may be a good street pressure for you, but 18 is much higher than you need on the trail (YMMV).

12 is pretty safe without worrying about losing a bead, and your ride quality, traction, and flotation will be night-and-day better.
If the idea of 12 psi freaks you out, at least try 14 or 15. HUGE difference. Just don't hit the highway aired down.

#6 ·
12 WITHOUT BEAD LOCKS?

#9 · (Edited)
Yep.
EDIT: I'll fawk with you about other stuff, but never about tech. questions.

My tires say 50 psi max I do 38 on road
Chalk test is the best way to know what your tires need on-road.
Higher PSI = fuel economy at the expense of ride quality and traction.
. . . if I set them below 35 my low tire lights bug the crap out of me all the time..
I don't know about the newer Jeeps, but on my '10 I used a Superchips programmer to set the TPMS to 26 psi.

#8 ·
My tires say 50 psi max I do 38 on road, if I set them below 35 my low tire lights bug the crap out of me all the time..

#10 ·
yup 2014 any tire below 35 it bugs the crap out of you.. I wish i could change it.,

#15 ·
I use a Superchips FlashCal... I run 28psi on road (35" BFG AT/KO on a JKUX) so I set my TPMS to 25.... easy-peasy ;)

I can't imagine running 38psi in a 35" AT on pavement... must be one hell of a harsh ride, especially on a 2dr!

Like ExWrench said, do a "Chalk test" & adjust psi accordingly.

#18 · (Edited)
OK tires are: BFG MT/TA 35 x12.5 R17 LT... says load range D max load 3000lb. I have 17"x8.5" rim
GVW 4900lb added stubby front bumper and winch, will be adding oil/tranny skid, rock rails, rear bumper/tire carrier.

#19 ·
Weight of Jeep
--------------------------- x Max tire PSI as indicated on sidewall
Tire max load rating (lbs)
multiplied by 4

that sound right??

So my GVW is 4900 lb add mods 400lb 2 people 400lb thats 5700 lb devide by 12000= .475 X 50 (max tire psi)= 23.75 psi road use??

google is nice....if thats right

#20 ·
YOu cannot simply rely on the math for that. As everyone else stated the best way is to do a chalk test on your tires.

Also since it looks like you might be a little new with the jeep computer system, look up steering wheel fabs. There are ways to totally turn your traction control, abs, and other things off in your jeep that you do not want to be using automatically offroad. Actually all the JKs have this that many people do not know about.

#22 ·
ok ran a hard trail yesterday aired down to 14 and had no issues, a easier trail i'll do 12. aired back up to 33 instead of 38 and feels much better on rd.

#25 ·
Mansfield was way worse then all the videos I've seen on it. They said the storms really changed it. The bypasses are gone washed out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.