Wrangler Heated seat Kits? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wrangler Heated seat Kits?

Has anyone installed a Heated seat kit in their JK and have some pics of the install? Does anyone have some recommended kits that fit well inside the JK seats?

It's really not a big priority on my tudo list, but now that it's winter time and I just installed some leather seat skins in my JK....I'm starting to understand the desire for heated seats with the leather. I'm regretting not having installed a heated seat kit when I had the seats apart.

I'm mostly curious as to where you installed the switches, since I want to make it look like they belong in the vehicle like an OEM install.

I'm currently looking at these on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-sea...Q5fAccessories

Is there a Mopar OEM Kit available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

this might help - I stole it from another website...

heated seat write up

Last edited by Grant211; 12-18-2009 at 02:25 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Rock God

Mopar pt#82210854AC
Retail $291
You will have to remove your cushion covers to install these.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
this might help - I stole it from another website...

heated seat write up
Interesting....thanks for the info.

There's one thing about that Mod that I don't like and just by looking at the pics another has me concerned.

I hate the switch mounting location they chose. I would actually prefer to mount them near the bottom of the dash where the hazard light switch is located where there is empty switch slots available. Why cut holes when there's already empty hole switch slots available is my thinking on this one?

My concern is that I see they have the pads laid out on top of the seats and the length of the bottom pad looks a little too long. The reason why I say this is since I had the seats a part for mounting my leather skins, I know on the bottom seat cushion there are hog clips which are located at the front and rear seat seems to hold the seat skins down to the cushion. So I'm not sure if they where able to go through the heated pads with the hog clips or if they had to bunch the heated pad up between the 2 seams to do the install properly.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-18-2009 at 03:09 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

I have sold loads of these kits. Very simple install about 2 hours, less since you know how to take the covers off. I have a few in stock if your intrested @ $235.00 plus shipping.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
Mopar pt#82210854AC
Retail $291
You will have to remove your cushion covers to install these.
That sounds good. I can't find it on Mopar's website.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post

My concern is that I see they have the pads laid out on top of the seats and the length of the bottom pad looks a little too long. The reason why I say this is since I had the seats a part for mounting my leather skins, I know on the bottom seat cushion there are hog clips which are located at the front and rear seat seems to hold the seat skins down to the cushion. So I'm not sure if they where able to go through the heated pads with the hog clips or if they had to bunch the heated pad up between the 2 seams to do the install properly.
You cut strips out of the carbon fiber pads large enough that the plastic cross pieces on the leather seats fit through and get hog ringed to the attachment points recessed down in the foam of the seats. And the excess heating pad just gets cut off to proper length with scissors. Little hard to expalin but it shows it pretty good in the instructions with the heating pads. They are very easy to install.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Rock God

I like these, I'm going to look into it. I never new there were after market kits for these. The JK seats are not all that comfortable if you are in them on a long trip or all day wheeling- this would sure help!

My wife would chit her pants if I put heated seats in too... we had them in our last car.

~ Clam
post #9 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

curious, what do u guys think of just installing them under iggee seat covers? they are pleather and have thin foam backing pad on bottom side of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #10 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 04:47 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
curious, what do u guys think of just installing them under iggee seat covers? they are pleather and have thin foam backing pad on bottom side of them.
There is foam backing on the undersides of the leather seats and it does not hurt that.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #11 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
There is foam backing on the undersides of the leather seats and it does not hurt that.
I guess if I do it I could try just putting them under the iggee's and then move em under the yes fabric if I have to.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #12 of 30 Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
You cut strips out of the carbon fiber pads large enough that the plastic cross pieces on the leather seats fit through and get hog ringed to the attachment points recessed down in the foam of the seats. And the excess heating pad just gets cut off to proper length with scissors. Little hard to expalin but it shows it pretty good in the instructions with the heating pads. They are very easy to install.
Thanks, that answers my big question in regards to if it was possible to cut through the heated pads without damaging them.

It sounds like a pretty easy install. Now, I just wish I had done this while I was reskinning my seats with the leather Katzkin covers. I could have killed 2 birds with 1 stone.....Now, I have to do most of the same work twice.

Now I just have to find a kit with the switches that I prefer. Like I said, I want to mount the switches in the area where the hazard light switch is located at the bottom of the center bezel area since I currently have 2 open knock outs for switches in that area. It would be great to find a JK switch that just plugged right into those switch knock out areas. I'm hoping this is what the Mopar kit does...but I can't find a pic of the mopar kit. Right now looking at those other kits, I'm currently trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

I have no idea why people are cutting holes in their dash for these heated seat switches when there are these locations which are holes in the dash already made for switches. These switch knock outs are just screaming at me, that this is where heated seat switches should be located.

Can some one post a pic of the Mopar kit???

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-19-2009 at 08:08 AM.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
...Now I just have to find a kit with the switches that I prefer. Like I said, I want to mount the switches in the area where the hazard light switch is located at the bottom of the center bezel area since I currently have 2 open knock outs for switches in that area. It would be great to find a JK switch that just plugged right into those switch knock out areas. I'm hoping this is what the Mopar kit does...but I can't find a pic of the mopar kit. Right now looking at those other kits, I'm currently trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

I have no idea why people are cutting holes in their dash for these heated seat switches when there are these locations which are holes in the dash already made for switches. These switch knock outs are just screaming at me, that this is where heated seat switches should be located.

Can some one post a pic of the Mopar kit???
Those spaces are not "knock outs". They are blank covers over a printed circuit board that runs behind all the switch positions. There is very little spaces between the cover and the circuit board. Some people have mounted very small toggle switches there but you will probably not find an existing lighted heated seat switch that will fit there.

I have the original Mopar kt that came with the small flat mounted switch assembly and since I have a two door I mounted it below the window switches.

I believe the newer Mopar kit comes with two separate flat switches so maybe you could mount them below where the unused switch covers are?

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #14 of 30 Old 12-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Wheeler

Talking

Quote:

There's one thing about that Mod that I don't like and just by looking at the pics another has me concerned.

I hate the switch mounting location they chose. I would actually prefer to mount them near the bottom of the dash where the hazard light switch is located where there is empty switch slots available. Why cut holes when there's already empty hole switch slots available is my thinking on this one?

The heating pads shown in that particular JKF thread are not from the Mopar kit. The Mopar pads are a bit smaller and don't cross over the "hog ring zone". This thread shows installation of the Mopar kit. Its very easy to do- no need to take the seats out of the Jeep.

Here is where I mounted the switch:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
I guess if I do it I could try just putting them under the iggee's and then move em under the yes fabric if I have to.

thanks
TKoob, I initially did the same thing you are suggesting- put them directly on top of my "Yes" (how about "No"!) fabric and under my Mopar seat covers. It worked out fine. A few months later on I relocated the pads under the Yes upholstery...

Last edited by Dubya; 12-20-2009 at 05:07 PM.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
The heating pads shown in that particular JKF thread are not from the Mopar kit. The Mopar pads are a bit smaller and don't cross over the "hog ring zone". This thread shows installation of the Mopar kit. Its very easy to do- no need to take the seats out of the Jeep.

Here is where I mounted the switch:

Thanks for posting the Mopar kit info. Honestly, neither kit seems to give me what I was hoping for.....I might go with the cheaper non Mopar kit since they both look to have about the same amount of work. It's going to have to wait until the spring anyways....it's just too cold for me to work on it now.
post #16 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Rock God

Because the 2009s have that net, my dealer placed the switches right under the power window switches and they are perfectly handy (keep in mind I have a 2-door with only two window switches)

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #17 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Wheeler

I put my switches in the blanks for my Wet Okole heated seats. They work great. Used a small lighted switch from http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p4028.html

The switches fit between the blank panel and the circuit board with no issue.

Here are my pictures:

Last edited by phljeeper; 12-21-2009 at 09:34 PM.
post #18 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Slow and Low

I hate SWALLS and SWASS. Like to keep my tools cool.
post #19 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
no... schweatty balls.

I think I'm going to try the kit that rednroll posted.... I really miss heated seats and get cramped up on long drives.. for a hondo.. I think its worth a shot.

I'll report back.

~ Clam
post #20 of 30 Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Granite Guru

Are those toggles two position (on/off) or three (off/low/high)?

2007 2D 6SPD JK X
post #21 of 30 Old 12-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by phljeeper View Post
I put my switches in the blanks for my Wet Okole heated seats. They work great. Used a small lighted switch from http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p4028.html

The switches fit between the blank panel and the circuit board with no issue.

Here are my pictures:

I like those switches!

Questions: the MOPAR switches have four positions: Hi, Med, Lo and Off. Do these give up those for just On/Off or do you get to retain all of them?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #22 of 30 Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Like I said in my original post....I wasn't too big on heated seats either. Then I installed Katzkin leather seats.....and due to the recent cold weather, I now understand the desire to have them. There's keeping your tools cool and then there's.....HOLY SH*T THAT'S COLD!!!!

I have the 4 door with the 4 window switches, and that small cargo net at the bottom where I keep my iPod held in place. I'll have to figure out some other mounting location for the switches. I'll have to investigate the knock out blanks a little more and see if I can come up with something that doesn't look so much like a non OEM install.
post #23 of 30 Old 12-23-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
no... schweatty balls.

I think I'm going to try the kit that rednroll posted.... I really miss heated seats and get cramped up on long drives.. for a hondo.. I think its worth a shot.

I'll report back.
I think I might go in that direction also. Just over $100 for both seats and it looks like the switches have a high and low setting which is all I need. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-23-2009 at 07:43 AM.
post #24 of 30 Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Like I said in my original post....I wasn't too big on heated seats either. Then I installed Katzkin leather seats.....and due to the recent cold weather, I now understand the desire to have them. There's keeping your tools cool and then there's.....HOLY SH*T THAT'S COLD!!!!

I have the 4 door with the 4 window switches, and that small cargo net at the bottom where I keep my iPod held in place. I'll have to figure out some other mounting location for the switches. I'll have to investigate the knock out blanks a little more and see if I can come up with something that doesn't look so much like a non OEM install.
I dont' have electric windows but was thinking of putting them here to keep them near the climate controls.

~ Clam

Last edited by The Clam; 12-01-2010 at 07:20 PM.
post #25 of 30 Old 12-26-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
I dont' have electric windows but was thinking of putting them here to keep them near the climate controls.
Yeah, I was thinking that would be a pretty good location also. They would seem to fit aesthetically being in the climate control section with the other climate controls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode