antenna install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

antenna install

Q. I wish to add the 4' Firestick II to the rear of my JKU which has the Front Runner full length roof rack with gas cans (2), roof tent and 12 gallon water system on top. I like the Cool Tech Ultramount CB Antenna Kit with the Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio. I read on one of these threads that having the antenna above the hood level of the jeep does not increase range as that level is the grounding level. The antenna would top out about half way up on the gas cans, but not above the cans nor above the roof top tent. Will this work or should I consider a longer type antenna?

The attached picture shows my setup from the rear and what items are in the area of the desired antenna location. The Ultramount kit runs the antenna from the license plate holder as shown in this URL - http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_ultramount.shtml

Thanks for your feedback and assistance.

Carl
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I have the 4' firestick ( No Ground Type ) along with the same radio.

I initially had it mounted on my steel bumper, so the top was below the roofline. I did notice a difference in receiving with haveing the the top off, so I wanted to move the antenna above the roof line.

Went with this : http://www.fullmetalfabworks.com/#!p...-antenna-mount

Full metal Fabworks. They are a venbdor on here and the improvemnt was very noticible, and its a decent simple mount. The powedercoat has not held up well, and the palstic hinge cover will fit a little loser, but i would recommned it

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Asmmns - my problem with the location on the tire hinge is I use the steps on my spare tire to reach the roof to remove the gas cans & to take the cover off the roof tent. Maybe i should mount the antenna on the roof next to the gas cans & use a 3' antenna with spring, that would get me up higher and i should have no problem mounting on the rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Asmmns - One point I should make clear is my intent regarding the antenna. I wanted to ground it via the steel bumper off the license plate holder and keep the antenna below the other objects already in place (tent - gas cans - water container). I am 7'6" at the top of the gas cans (folder tent same height). All options open as I continue my understanding of the issues of reception/sending signals.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

nice set up..

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

the higher you can get it the better you will be. I run a 5' firestick off the top of my aftermarket tire carrier on a spring. Still going strong after 4 years. Just be careful when you drive into parking garages and your own garage, it will rub the plastic coating off of the firestick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

My preference would be to mount the antenna to the outside tailgate bracket so it does not interfere with leaving the tailgate window open, but is not exposed to possibly getting knocked-off by trailside obstacles (as might happen with a body mount attached to the side fender). Nobody makes such a mount but it would not be difficult to fab one.

Cool Tech makes a bracket to mount an antenna to the stock license plate frame. This position allows about 1' of a 4' Firestick to extend above the roof line. http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_ultramount.shtml

You can get a bracket that will screw to the inside of the tailgate frame, such as this one from FireStik: http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-SS-20...Q3G/ref=sr_1_6

I currently have my CB antenna on a Teraflex mount bolted to my tire swing. The base of the mount is approximately the same height the Cool Tech license plate bracket would sit, with the top of my 4' Firestick about 1' above the roof line. I have no difficulty hearing people or with people hearing me on the trails.

On my Pathfinder I mounted the antenna to the front of the roof rack. This required a ground strap from the roof rack to the chassis to get acceptable SWR. While this afforded great reception it was a constant PITA going through drive-thru's and into garages. Several times I forgot the antenna was there and broke the mount or antenna.

I'm a JKO Reject

Last edited by BumpInTheRoad; 07-11-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank You, a work in progress LOL
post #9 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards the 5' FireStik with the CoolTech Ultra Mount, this would give me about 2-3" above the gas cans & over a foot above the roof line. I can hope the tent (folded) and other items on the roof rack will not interfere - time will tell - plus I will be see how many other ideas float forward before I act. The roof rack and most items on the roof are aluminum, except the gas cans (steel) and the brackets for the gas cans & water system (steel).
post #10 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Ok What the hell is on your spare tire? Is that a grill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

That is a stainless steel grill on the spare tire - a man gets hunger at times an appreciates a good cooking surface.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

And before you ask, the silver item above the tire, between the fuel & water cans, is a stainless steel 4' table with wash basin. I usually put this under the roof top tent when deployed to hold my cooking stove and coffee pot. The skirt which goes with the tent provides a perfect wind/weather protection, which means I can have my coffee no matter what nature has in mind during my nature adventures. I drink beer in the open, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode