LED Brake Lights WITHOUT Resisitor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

LED Brake Lights WITHOUT Resisitor

I am going to be installing a set of the Rockridge LED brake lights and have a question about the resistors.

I actually don't mind the fast blink and would prefer it over the hot resistor but will it trigger the bulb out indicator in the dash if I don't install the resistor. I didn't even know it had the warning but one of the tail lights went out once and it sure enough told me on the dash.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Wheeler

I have had a resistor fail on me and cause a fast blink but never had an idiot light come on from it.

2012 JK Sport, 6 Speed, Hard Top, 3" Fox lift, K&N CAI, Pioneer and Kicker Upgrade, 35" MT/R's, 15" TKO's, Sleeved and gusseted, RSE rear w/carrier, PSC Bombshells front and rear, gas mileage- dropping
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Granite Guru

I'm running LEDs in the rear w/o resistors and don't have any bulb out indicator on the dash. Just fast flashing turn signals. BTW, mine's a 2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, guys. Mine's a '12 also.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, pulled the rear OEM light this weekend and mocked up the led w/o resistor. Tried using the turn signal and after a blink or two it started fast blinking and I got a message on the dash saying the lamp was out. Guess I'll be installing the resistors after all.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 01:11 PM
JkO Approved Vendor

You'll need to match the resistance of the filament in the factory bulb by adding resistors when installing LEDs in turn signal locations.

It's a pretty standard procedure, and is to be expected (LEDs draw in milliamps)

Nick C.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

If you're model year has the bulb out indicator, it is likely you'll need two resistors for each bulb. The 3157 has two circuits/filaments.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #8 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
If you're model year has the bulb out indicator, it is likely you'll need two resistors for each bulb. The 3157 has two circuits/filaments.
I'm running Truck-lite 4" round LEDs on mine and had the fast flash and bulb out fault during the install but the resistors corrected it. Didn't have to clear any codes, it just started working right once the resistors were connected. You can get a standard harness pigtail with the resistor already built in. It has been almost a year since I bought mine, but can look up where I got them if you like. Shoot me a PM, as I'm not subscribed to this thread.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode