Crazy subwoofer question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Crazy subwoofer question

Hello everyone, I'm looking for thoughts or ideas on this one. I have 2 Audiobahn AW1208Q subwoofers that have been sitting around since I bought my last truck in 2003. They are 1500 watts RMS each. I'm thinking 2 might be a little to much for a Wrangler. Do you guys out there think I should even bother with throwing one in or just getting something totally different?

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi

Last edited by Jock191; 12-17-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I think one would be perfect. also more efficient with having only displacement from one speaker therefore more cubic foot space for the one. a single 12 dvc will be my route. fiberglass the floor and make the sub mount where the depression in the floor then raise the whole floor about 2-3 inches and will be good to go. either that or im looking at enlarging the tub to be the box so I don't have to raise the floor. you could also configure them into a push-pull set up using both speakers and that will reduce the box size as well.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well It looks like I'm going to be tossing the idea of putting my Audiobahn in the jeep. I guess Audiobahn has gone out of business or something b/c none of their numbers work and I cant find anyone that will build me a decent box for that sub without trying to rip me off. Some company said 500 for a box. Im like are you nuts? I might as well just buy all new crap if it will cost me $900 for a box and an amp. What do you audio guys think about MTX stuff?

Stock =(
Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

crap, when you have some of the better subs made I would utilize them. do a search for premade sub boxes there is a place that will build custom stuff shipped for under 350 bucks or around there. they did a lot of the jl designed stuff as well.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Rock God

All you need is one 12 and about 500 watts in your Wrangler. Anything above and beyond that is overkill unless you want peeps to hear you 5 blocks away.

You should be able to get a decent box built for about $150 which is what I paid at Car Toys.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #6 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
All you need is one 12 and about 500 watts in your Wrangler. Anything above and beyond that is overkill unless you want peeps to hear you 5 blocks away.

You should be able to get a decent box built for about $150 which is what I paid at Car Toys.
No I dont want to be one of those annoying guys constantly pounding their music. Im really looking for enough bass to actually sound good for all ranges of music. I listen to everything from country, hip hop, rock, and even classical sometimes. I really just want to be able to drown out someone else if they come up to me pounding there music. I just dont want to be able to hear them if I turn mine up lol. Its actually much tougher then I thought to find a box for this sub. I need a box that has a total volume of 3.0^3 and even MTX doesnt make a box that will fit my sub. Im going to make a few calls tomorrow and see if I can find something that will work. Thanks for the help guys.

Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #7 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

check link in my sig. set-up and pics of my system. i had 2 RF P3 12" until the RF 325 watt amp blew both. now have 2 12" sony xplode on same amp. sounds great. better than the more expensive RF P3s.

you dont need a lot of watts and expensive speakers to get a great sound in the jeep, top on or off.

installing them into the rear floor "box" is a great idea. i looked into it but when i needed a place for 2 optima batteries the subs lost. right now im looking into cutting into the rear fender wells and having them there. lot of work to ensure they fit, have enough space for sound, and still having clearance for the tires at full stuff. ive seen it done in a CJ years ago.

still 1500 watts RMS is overkill. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #8 of 13 Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
check link in my sig. set-up and pics of my system. i had 2 RF P3 12" until the RF 325 watt amp blew both. now have 2 12" sony xplode on same amp. sounds great. better than the more expensive RF P3s.

you dont need a lot of watts and expensive speakers to get a great sound in the jeep, top on or off.

installing them into the rear floor "box" is a great idea. i looked into it but when i needed a place for 2 optima batteries the subs lost. right now im looking into cutting into the rear fender wells and having them there. lot of work to ensure they fit, have enough space for sound, and still having clearance for the tires at full stuff. ive seen it done in a CJ years ago.

still 1500 watts RMS is overkill. LOL
Nice build man. Love your set up But Im looking for something smaller in a sense that I could take out off I need the room. Also Your right I dont need a lot of watts and 1500 watts RMS IS overkill BUT since I have them I might as well use them, right? lol My biggest PITA right now is just trying to find a box and amp that will work with this sub. One day I plan on doing a complete system but that will be after I do all my other mods such as lift, tires and all that good stuff. I figured that it would be cheaper to just use what I have but I'm finding this not to be the case since the sub is so freaking powerful everyone has quoted me $800 or more for a box amp and install. Also what is a rear floor "box"? Is that when you cut into the floor pan and build I box up from that?

Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #9 of 13 Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Has anyone ran this thing?

You could put whatever amp/sub combo that you wanted and it looks to be fairly secure if placed by the gate, also protected (a little) from the elements because it down fires and is suspended above the bed. I plan on getting one of the baskets to go over the top of it for extra storage and a little more security....
post #10 of 13 Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

tuffy security deck works great. also in my build link...one of my favorite mods in fact. think i measured it out to 15" from the floor of the JK to the bottom of the deck.

the box in the back im talking about is the JK "trunk" where the tire iron and jack are located. woods makes a larger box that works great for a dual battery set-up. dynamat it and keep the batts in the engine bay and you can make a new floor out of plywood and lift the floor about 3". the box then would have plenty of space for a sub or 2 for bass that looks stock and hidden.

2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

Last edited by Liquor; 12-18-2009 at 10:48 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
tuffy security deck works great. also in my build link...one of my favorite mods in fact. think i measured it out to 15" from the floor of the JK to the bottom of the deck.

the box in the back im talking about is the JK "trunk" where the tire iron and jack are located. woods makes a larger box that works great for a dual battery set-up. dynamat it and keep the batts in the engine bay and you can make a new floor out of plywood and lift the floor about 3". the box then would have plenty of space for a sub or 2 for bass that looks stock and hidden.
Thats sounds like an awesome idea but my only PITA about that is that I wanted something that I could take out in case I need the space. I'm coming from a pickup to my JK so this is a whole new world to me.

Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #12 of 13 Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

i am the same way. thats why i have mounted both capacitors and the amp to the sub box. disco the grounds, power and signal wires and it all comes out. nothing special just a best buy dual 12" box.

2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #13 of 13 Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Does the security deck rattle a lot when you turn it up? Doing my sub install over christmas and this was a major concern of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode