Legal or not? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Legal or not?

Looking for a place to mount these Hids and get them off the windshield. Don't think I'd have a issue since they are not blocking my turns but also depends on your vantage point.

Any Police officers care to comment?

Sorry about the size...someday I'll learn how to resize pictures
Attached Images

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 05:07 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I can only speak for mass , and more specifically where I'm at.. we've super strict laws regarding any aftermarket additions to or alterations of stock vehicles. With that said....nobody enforces auxiliary lighting laws and and nobody ever even stops lifted jeeps even though they are all moving violations !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Yep.....but I'm in NV with a occasional trip just over the line to California and really don't need the hassle. That said Tires will stick past the fenders about 4" so what am I worried about I'm busted no matter what.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Mount them, fuck the popo. Worse they can do is ban you from the state which really is not a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

If I'm not wrong, it's only a violation if the vehicle is registered in the state in which the offence is committed. I think.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #6 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
Looking for a place to mount these Hids and get them off the windshield. Don't think I'd have a issue since they are not blocking my turns but also depends on your vantage point.

Any Police officers care to comment?

Sorry about the size...someday I'll learn how to resize pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
Yep.....but I'm in NV with a occasional trip just over the line to California and really don't need the hassle. That said Tires will stick past the fenders about 4" so what am I worried about I'm busted no matter what.
Not a LEO, but have done some research on this myself. I'll try to dig up my file on lighting regs, but one thing I distinctly remember is that you can only have a maximum of 4 forward beams operational at any time. There is a wattage restriction and lights with more power than (I believe) 55 watts are required to be covered on public roadways.

Now, having said that, I see a LOT of 4x4s running around in violation of those regulations, so I'm guessing most officers won't go out of their way to enforce them. But if you get stopped for something else, those might make nice "value added options" for their ticket book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
If I'm not wrong, it's only a violation if the vehicle is registered in the state in which the offence is committed. I think.
That would be nice, but unfortunately, if that were true, Utah residents could legally drive 80 mph with a trailer in California. Not gonna happen.

EDIT: Here's a link to the pertinent CA regs: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=24400-24411. In particular, pay attention to 24402, 24403, 24405, and 24411. As I read these sections, I think you're within the restrictions of the law, presuming they're all aimed correctly and only come on at the right times, and with the exception of the uncovered LED light bar, which should technically be covered with opaque covers while on a public roadway. Didn't see the wattage restriction I thought I remembered, except on "spot lamps," which are limited to 30 watts or 32 candlepower. Just one man's opinion though. Read and decide for yourself.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 07-03-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added California Lighting Regs
post #7 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Rock God

If I pulled you over, you'd go right to jail.

No, not for the lights; but for posting monolothic photos on JKO.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Yes.

Jersey requires license plates front and rear. PA does not.

If a trooper on the Jersey turnpike were to pull me over for not having a front plate, after I finished laughing, I'd encourage him to continue writing me that ticket which I would demolish in court. If the cop didn't show, as they sometimes do, I'd ask the judge to subpoena his ass to have him explain in open court why he's trying to enforce NJ DOT regs on a PENN DOT registered vehicle.

But that's just me. I'm kind of a dickhead that way.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Wheeler

Not a leo. But my dad was for 25 year in little Rock arkansas. I have friends that r cops too. I don't think half the cops really know all the laws. As far as the turns signals yall have those? Hahaha. Over half the people here don't use them anyway the other half forget to turn the off when they do use them. In other words I think u will be fine. Mount them till someone says something.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOL AID MAN View Post
Jersey requires license plates front and rear. PA does not.
I don't think that's the same kind of issue. The lighting is a safety concern both for the driver and other drivers. I can see a state not trying to enforce it's registration regs on another state's registered vehicles, but safety violations are always going to be governed by the state where the driver is, regardless of where the vehicle is registered. I can hear the conversation now --

Driver: "But officer, these 1200 gigawatt flux-capacitor powered super-duper bright-as-the-sun lights are legal in my state!"

LEO: "Well, son, you're not in your state; you're in mine. And it looks like you're gonna be here a while. Hope you like orange (or pink in Arizona)."

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger08 View Post
Not a leo. But my dad was for 25 year in little Rock arkansas. I have friends that r cops too. I don't think half the cops really know all the laws. As far as the turns signals yall have those? Hahaha. Over half the people here don't use them anyway the other half forget to turn the off when they do use them. In other words I think u will be fine. Mount them till someone says something.
Having grown up in Arkansas, and having spent 4 1/2 years in Little Rock, I can tell you he speaks the truth! Probably most decent officers would give a person a fix-it ticket on something like this, unless they were being defiant, or abusing them on the highway.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 07-03-2014 at 11:36 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
That would be nice, but unfortunately, if that were true, Utah residents could legally drive 80 mph with a trailer in California. Not gonna happen.

EDIT: Here's a link to the pertinent CA regs: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=24400-24411. In particular, pay attention to 24402, 24403, 24405, and 24411. As I read these sections, I think you're within the restrictions of the law, presuming they're all aimed correctly and only come on at the right times, and with the exception of the uncovered LED light bar, which should technically be covered with opaque covers while on a public roadway. Didn't see the wattage restriction I thought I remembered, except on "spot lamps," which are limited to 30 watts or 32 candlepower. Just one man's opinion though. Read and decide for yourself.

Although I'm not doubting you because I don't know for certain, but I'm not convinced that I'm wrong. If I were driving in California, I couldn't get a ticket for not having a valid smog test. They don't do smog tests where I live, it's not a requirement. Same issue as tire coverings. Would residents visiting a state that is strict on tire coverings, coming from a state that has no rules regulating tire coverings, be able to get a ticket? His/her vehicle is deemed appropriate for the road in which it is licensed. I don't know for sure how the motor vehicle acts work down there, but vehicles committing a moving violation regarding minimal inspection standards have to be held to the standards of their registered province, I think. I have buddies from Alberta (which has no motor vehicle inspections) visit here (which has annual inspections) and they don't get tickets for not having a valid inspection.

I'm also not talking about having the lights in use while driving, either. I'm just talking about them being mounted there. Being in use is actually a safety concern. But having them simply mounted there, partially obstructing the view of the turn signal from certain vantage points, may be a glaring violation in one state but overlooked in another.

I was going to bring up the plate, but beat me to it

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan

Last edited by 2Door; 07-03-2014 at 11:56 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I haven't ran a front plate in 45 years.. most of those years wee in CA. and only once was I given a fix it ticket. But things can change and states are broke and are actively looking for $.

UnlimiDozer, Thanks for the codes..as far as the # of lights looks like I am legal.

Covers....required on Off-road lighting....who's to say they are not for street use.

Your allowed 2 passing, 2 driving lights in addition to your headlights so that's my story if needed.

Still not sure about partially blocking the turn's...but I never use them anyway

post #13 of 13 Old 07-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Granite Guru

Getting a ticket for no front plate in CA depends on where you are. You should try driving around LAX w/o one. I was pulled over twice driving on the surface Street that goes behind the airport (coast side) for just no front plate by the LAX police and was given a ticket for it while in short term parking there. This was over a 4 year period when my office was near there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode