CheapAss Plasma Cutter Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Slow and Low

CheapAss Plasma Cutter Question

Had to get rid of my nice TD Plasma Cutter when we moved to Colorado. Haven't had one in almost 2 years.

Heard good things about this cheapo ebay one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SIMADRE-50R-110-...item3ca8184316

I don't usually buy cheap crap, but I played the "Best Offer" option and got it for $300 shipped, so what the hell.

It arrived yesterday and it looks to be pretty decent quality. But I'm a little confused. There is no plug on the power cable. The instructions are chinenglish, and me no hablo chinenglish. The diagrams appear to be for a different machine.

It claims to be a "dual voltage", so I was hoping it would be easily interchangeable, but the power cord is not easily removeable. The cord is about 3/8" Diameter.
Am I supposed to just wire a 220v plug to the 3 exposed wires(Red, Blue, Green)??

I want to fire up this beeatch and wreck some chit!

Last edited by Co4Lo; 12-12-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 07:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

red/blue/green sounds like a 220 setup, most 110s are black/white/green
It says it works on dual voltages, so I'd think as long as you keep the green as neutral, it should be ok

I'm not much help on that one but if I knew you were lookin before hand I woulda suggested you go with an Everlast off ebay.
I bought one of their combo machines - plasma/arc/tig and it blew shortly after I got it, but they have a 5 yr warranty and they upgraded me to a heavier unit for free and its been great.
Plus they have a US distributor who speaks english and does tech support stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
red/blue/green sounds like a 220 setup, most 110s are black/white/green
It says it works on dual voltages, so I'd think as long as you keep the green as neutral, it should be ok

I'm not much help on that one but if I knew you were lookin before hand I woulda suggested you go with an Everlast off ebay.
I bought one of their combo machines - plasma/arc/tig and it blew shortly after I got it, but they have a 5 yr warranty and they upgraded me to a heavier unit for free and its been great.
Plus they have a US distributor who speaks english and does tech support stuff.
So go buy a 50A 220v plug and wire it up?
The red and blue wires come with about an inch of the sheathing pre-stripped and soldered. The green is not stripped at all. So green is ground the others don't matter which prong they go to?

Also, there is a stud labeled ground on the back of the machine. No wires going to it from the inside, just seems to ground the body of the machine. The chong instructions say nothing about it. I never had to ground the body of my previous machine. What is that thing for? Isn't there already a ground when you plug it into the wall?

Sorry... I'm not very electro-intelligent. Don't wanna burn the house down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well, this is how it *should* go....

when you get the plug there will be 2 flat and one "round" prong (usually a rolled flat piece making it round) in the center
run the green one to the 'round' center prong and the red and blue to the other flat prongs

the ground stud on the machine, I've seen em but never used one before, my everlast has one and I don't use it, so does my wire welder

once again, assuming that it actually is a 220 capable unit, everything should be good

I ain't no fancy electrician, but thats how I've done it in the past and how I'd do it if it were sittin in front of me right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
So go buy a 50A 220v plug and wire it up?
The red and blue wires come with about an inch of the sheathing pre-stripped and soldered. The green is not stripped at all. So green is ground the others don't matter which prong they go to?

Also, there is a stud labeled ground on the back of the machine. No wires going to it from the inside, just seems to ground the body of the machine. The chong instructions say nothing about it. I never had to ground the body of my previous machine. What is that thing for? Isn't there already a ground when you plug it into the wall?

Sorry... I'm not very electro-intelligent. Don't wanna burn the house down.

Quote:
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Slow and Low

O.k. Got it fired up and it seems to work as well as any other machine I've worked with.

One more question...
there is a little toggle switch on the face that has a 2.5s and 5.0s setting. The chinstructions have it listed as the "Gas Post Switcher".
WTF is this switch for?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
O.k. Got it fired up and it seems to work as well as any other machine I've worked with.

One more question...
there is a little toggle switch on the face that has a 2.5s and 5.0s setting. The chinstructions have it listed as the "Gas Post Switcher".
WTF is this switch for?
NEVERMIND. Fingered it out!
post #7 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

probably a delay setting in starting the air flow to help get the arc started

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode