stereo questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

stereo questions

I've got the single cd with a sub in the rear stereo and I don't see anything on it that says Infinity. Am I to believe that it is just a basic stock stereo? If it is Infinity then how would I know? And where would the amp be located? Looking to pull the headunit and install aftermarket but don't want to start till I know what I'm dealing with. THanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the amp is located under the steering wheel

and if you do change it dont get the metra harness it sucks ass big time

there is an acess panel under the plastic trim below your steering wheel and the amp is in there

www.jeepasylum.com
post #3 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Granite Guru

Bought my aftermarket stuff from crutchfield... their harness works great

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

When I put in my aftermarket stereo I did not use the XSVI-6522 harness that was recommended because I couldn't find it for any less than like $60. Instead I just bought a regular 71-6522 harness and installed with that, a $10 harness. The only reason the XSVI model is recommended is to retain the radio on function for the 30 seconds or so after you turn the key off. I didn't care for that anyways. If you go with just the regular harness without the retained function you have to find an ingnition controlled power lead for the IGN wire on the stereo. There is a (I believe, I will look later) pink wire with a white stripe that is in the harness under the steering wheel and going down into the dash. Just splice into that wire for your ignition keyed source on the stereo (the red wire). Just match all of the rest of the wires on the new harness to your new stereo and plug it in, works like a charm.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #5 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Granite Guru

Harness

When you use an aftermarket harness...does the piece that plugs into the back of the OEM stereo plug into the aftermarket harness...or does it plug directly into the jeep wiring, therefore eliminating the stock harness?

Reason I ask is when I installed my amp w/ a stock MyGig I cut into the factory harness to hook up the PAC harness. I think I may go aftermarket HU now and need to know if I need to buy a new OEM harness...mines kinda toast.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Granite Guru

You'll wanna get a new OEM harness, at least in my opinion its the easiest way...plus it keeps things fairly simple if you go to swap HU's again

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
post #7 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Granite Guru

Thanks...any idea where I can get one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge8604 View Post
You'll wanna get a new OEM harness, at least in my opinion its the easiest way...plus it keeps things fairly simple if you go to swap HU's again
post #8 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Granite Guru

Never mind I found one...thanks.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Wheeler

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
When I put in my aftermarket stereo I did not use the XSVI-6522 harness that was recommended because I couldn't find it for any less than like $60. Instead I just bought a regular 71-6522 harness and installed with that, a $10 harness. The only reason the XSVI model is recommended is to retain the radio on function for the 30 seconds or so after you turn the key off. I didn't care for that anyways. If you go with just the regular harness without the retained function you have to find an ingnition controlled power lead for the IGN wire on the stereo. There is a (I believe, I will look later) pink wire with a white stripe that is in the harness under the steering wheel and going down into the dash. Just splice into that wire for your ignition keyed source on the stereo (the red wire). Just match all of the rest of the wires on the new harness to your new stereo and plug it in, works like a charm.
Is this what everyone does? seems silly that crutchfield is saying you need a $130 adapter to just plug in a stereo.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
I've got the single cd with a sub in the rear stereo and I don't see anything on it that says Infinity. Am I to believe that it is just a basic stock stereo? If it is Infinity then how would I know? And where would the amp be located? Looking to pull the headunit and install aftermarket but don't want to start till I know what I'm dealing with. THanks.
If there is a sub woofer in the back, then you have the Infinity system. If you buy an aftermarket stereo, then that won't work with the Infinity amp, and you will have to redo the wiring so the aftermarket head unit connects to the speakers.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Wheeler

ingnition controlled power lead for the IGN wire on the stereo. There is a (I believe, I will look later) pink wire with a white stripe that is in the harness under the steering wheel and going down into the dash. Just splice into that wire for your ignition keyed source on the stereo (the red wire). Just match all of the rest of the wires on the new harness to your new stereo and plug it in, works like a charm.

I want to try to splice into the red and grey wire on the end of the stock harness that plugs into the stock HU for this. does anyone know if that will work or just go with the cig lighter? This is on an 09'
post #12 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Wheeler

Garage

so what parts are required to add an aftermarket amp with the infinity system? Keep in mind, I am going to keep/use the OEM headunit. I just want to add an amp and a pair of subs.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Granite Guru

going to add my question here, i had experience instaling stereos, amp, speakers, but that was in 1992! I don't want to buy the crutchfield harness for $160. I will however buy a 4 channel amp and new Alpine head unit. Im just gonna go old school and take my test light to find my power, and switched power. splice my new stereos harness, wire up my amp, run all new speaker wire and dump the stock infinity amp off a cliff. Then i will chug a beer burp loudly, turn the key on and get some sick ass tunes. Good plan???By the way, I can't beleave how much this crap has gone up in price, geez.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon automatic with 35" KM2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

15" black procomp 8069
Swag Offroad tailgate conversion
OR-Fab Tire carrier with Amo can for straps & tools
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
Pollk Audio 6" components
post #14 of 14 Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

That's the way to do it old school!! If you are gonna run stuff off a amp you could pull unswitched/ battery power from the cigar plug on the passenger side and switched from drivers. Then run your plugs and amp wires and be done with it. Gonna have to run speaker wire from amp but that's nothing a coat hanger and some electric tape can't take care of.

When they told me 160 for a harness I laughed in there face and said nevermind I can take care of it myself!!!
Took about 2 hour to get my headunit, amp and speakers wired up.

You smell that?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode