Horn doesnt work and rear wiper won't shut off - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Horn doesnt work and rear wiper won't shut off

Well as a newbie to this forum, Hi Everyone. I have a few issues I'm trying to finger out on my recent purchase. I have a 07 Wrangler X 2 door. The horn will not blow and the rear wiper(currently unplugged) will not shut off when the connection is made to the hard top. Anyone have any idea where to start looking to tackle this issue? I have checked all the fuses and they are all intact. Does this sound like a related problem or are they two separate issues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reading other threads I realize that I dont have a third brake light with this FabFour rear bumper. Wonder if that can be the culprit of this issue? Maybe it is faulting the can bus harness.

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-09-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

start by disconnecting the battery overnight
canbus does some weird stuff and fully resetting it by leaving unpowered overnight solves some of the issues some of the time
no 3rd brake light shouldnt matter as long as its just unplugged and not shorted somewhere

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Rock God

For the horn the first thing is to test the lines going into the horn to determine if there is power coming into the horn. They can get clogged and I have had to remove before and clean out. (Bunch of light dirt/sand came out of it)

As for the rear wiper start with the diconnected battery trick but I bet it's a short somewhere between the actual switch and rear assembly. Most likely the switch has caused the issue and is not disengaging.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok I will try that out. Thanks for the reply.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

Check both your connectors on the hardtop harness to make sure the pins on the brown wire with a dark blue stripe are clean and in good shape. This is your park sense wire. If the wiper motor can't tell the TIPM that the motor is in the park position, it will keep running. It may also set a diagnostic trouble code.

To get any fault codes, plug in the connector so the wiper is running, then use the following procedure:

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.
2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear.

Write down any codes you may have so we will know where to get started. anything relating to the horn or wipers will be a fault code that starts with 'B' for body.

I also need to know if the wiper stops when you pull the M24 fuse.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #6 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok no trouble codes are being thrown.
Connector looks good at the plug.

Oddly, with the wiper running i went to pull the m24 fuse, labelled as rear wiper and there is no fuse in it. But its still running. I am gonna run to the parts store and buy some fuses and see if that helps by putting a fuse in it.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ok added the fuse and no change.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Granite Guru

No codes and the fuse didn't stop it means to me you probably have a wiring problem between the TIPM and the motor. The way I would test this is to pull the individual wiper power wire out of the connector where it goes into the TIPM then start it up and see if the wiper motor is still running. If so, that guarantees a wire harness problem. Follow the harness from the 2 connectors behind the passenger side kick panel, along the floor sill up to the right hand tail light area. Check for pinched or abraded wires.

One more easy thing to check. Try pulling the fuse for the tail lights, brake lights, and/or rear window defroster. If any of these stop the wiper motor, that is the circuit the wiper motor is shorted to.

This is the point where you need to get a service manual if you're comfortable troubleshooting wire issues or take it to the dealer if you're not.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
post #9 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Wheeler

When it comes to electrical problems always check all of the grounds. A bad or disconected ground can cause power from one circut to try to ground through another circut, possibly causing the kind of problem you are experiencing.

I've seen wipers on chev trucks come on when you turn on the signal light because I forgot to reconnect a ground after a fender replacement.

08 Rubicon, Rescue green, Besttop Highrock front bumper, Mopar rear bumper, on board air, 10,000lb winch
reddeerjeep.com
post #10 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ok ill try these out when I get home from work. Thanks Guys.

The most crazy thing is there was no fuse in the rear wiper slot and it was running. Thats where I would say something is definitely not right.

Is there a grounding wire for the hardtop? Could that be the cause. I don't see where that would be an issue with the horn also but they may be two separate issues.

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-09-2009 at 08:15 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Rock God

It a modern day Da Vinci Code of chrysler.... ha ha sorry

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
post #12 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Wheeler

Most new vehicles will have many grounds tied together and grounded with a single bolt. This is why one thing can have an effect another seemingly unrelated thing.

I'm trying to find the ground location for you but no luck so far......

08 Rubicon, Rescue green, Besttop Highrock front bumper, Mopar rear bumper, on board air, 10,000lb winch
reddeerjeep.com
post #13 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ok thanks Sarge.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I'm trying to find the ground location for you but no luck so far......
It's on or near the transmission tunnel to the right of the driver's seat.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
post #15 of 15 Old 12-12-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok sorry for not getting back sooner but I had a bunch of powder coating jobs to catch up on last night.
So in the fuse box I determined that there was no fuse in the m23 spot. I connected the wiring harness at the hard top in the rear. Wiper is running. I start pulling every last fuse to see where this thing is powering from. Wahla, is getting power from m11 or j11. Actually can't remember at the moment. I know that it is directly next to the m23 that its supposed to be connected to. The 11 fuse says its for the hvac. Mine doesnt have a/c so I take it that is must have been wired in after the fact to the wrong fuse on the bottom. My next step is to remove the TIPM (fuse box) and see where its actually ran. I will try and determine if its a jumped wire or straight wired to that fuse. Of course that one seems to be a constant hot. BUT WE WILL SEE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode