Keyless remote vs. using key to open door manually = ALARM!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Angry Keyless remote vs. using key to open door manually = ALARM!!!

My keyless remote unlocker isn't unlocking my doors anymore. I'm assuming this must be a battery problem in the damn unlocker, but I just bought the Jeep in July... shouldn't it last longer?

Anyway, I put my key in the lock to unlock it manually and the darn alarm goes off?!! WTF?! So why won't the key work in the door lock without setting the alarm off? Is there a code to disable this stupid feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHJeep View Post
My keyless remote unlocker isn't unlocking my doors anymore. I'm assuming this must be a battery problem in the damn unlocker, but I just bought the Jeep in July... shouldn't it last longer?

Anyway, I put my key in the lock to unlock it manually and the darn alarm goes off?!! WTF?! So why won't the key work in the door lock without setting the alarm off? Is there a code to disable this stupid feature?
The alarm doesn't activate unless you lock the door with the remote.. If you lock the doors by hitting the switch on the door and then unlock them with the key.. The alarm won't sound.. The only way to disarm is to insert the key in the ignition and turn on the Jeep..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Actually I do lock it with the inside door button and not the remote... so not sure if that is correct. I decided to put my valuables in the glove box and lock it up and then keep the doors unlocked until I can get this resolved because it's too embarrassing setting off the alarm for the 5 seconds it takes me to get the key in the ignition to start it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Granite Guru

I think the alarm sets either way.... why don't you put a battery in your key remote, if that doesn't work... call dealer.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjeep View Post
I think the alarm sets either way.... why don't you put a battery in your key remote, if that doesn't work... call dealer.
I'm going to find my spare key and use that for awhile. Too much dicking around to go to the dealership for just a key - think I'll wait until I have a few other things to make the trip worthwhile. Thanks!
post #6 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I'm going to find my spare key and use that for awhile. Too much dicking around to go to the dealership for just a key - think I'll wait until I have a few other things to make the trip worthwhile. Thanks!
It's not just a key.
It's a pricey key and if it's under warranty get it done before it's too late.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #7 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just bought the Jeep in July... it's only 5 months old. If it is the key, I'm sure there will be some other warranty opportunity in the next year to get it fixed... unless the spare key has the same problem, then I'll do it right away.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Granite Guru

There is a better than average chance it is the battery. I've seen a lot of transmitter batteries that need replacing after a relative short time in service from the factory. Makes me wonder of the battery qualify from the supplier...
post #9 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

If the battery is dead in your key then the jeep thinks your a thief and the alarm goes off. a battery is cheap it should fix your problem.A dead battery is not that surprising.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #10 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Has anyone replaced their key battery yet? Where do you get a battery for it?
I tried to open the key to look, but I've got too much lotion on my hands to get it open right now.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Granite Guru

You can get them most anywhere that sells button cell batteries. I bought my last one at the jewlery counter at Meijers.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Wheeler

It's just a standard 2032 battery used for most keyless remotes (as well as tons of other small electronics)

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
post #13 of 27 Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Granite Guru

If you use the key to manually lock the door you can unlock it without the alarm going off. I mean, get out of jeep, shut door, put key in lock and lock. Not using the button... just till you get a new battery.

Cheers,
Duffy
post #14 of 27 Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I tried to open the key to look, but I've got too much lotion on my hands to get it open right now.
I am having the same problem right now (the remote problem, not the hand lotion one... lol...). I had my remotes battery replaced at Radio Shack, just hand it to them & they will change it out for you. It's like $8... The other problem is that this didn't solve my problem. I then opened the remote & cleaned the contacts with alcohol & that seems to have worked...

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
post #15 of 27 Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Granite Guru

Had an issue earlier this year where the remote stopped working. It would not open the doors, start the jeep, nothing. Unhooking the battery under the hood seemed to have solved the problem, has not occurred again. There is a TSB for the issue, though, but I have not taken it in since I cannot prove that my Jeep did it...you have to wait until the remote stops working in order to have the fix done.

Yours must not be the same problem, in that your key will still start the Jeep, but won't work on the alarm.

BTW, by locking the doors with the inside door button when exiting the Jeep will still set the alarm.

07 Jeep Green 2 door Rubicon; OME Std suspension; 33" BFG KM2; Shrockworks stubby front, Expedition One rear bumpers, JKS adj trackbars f/r, Poly HD tie rod, Moog TRE on drag link.
post #16 of 27 Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Take it to auto zone. They have a tester that wil tell you if your battery is dead.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #17 of 27 Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
just use a small coin or screw driver (along with something to hold with like a towel due to the "lotion") and i think there is a "divet" in the key fob to open it up. You will see the battery.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Rock God

If it's not your battery, it could be the wireless control module. A co-worker of mine has had 3 replaced and then they replaced the entire dash. You would probably be having TPMS issues too though.. (but a thought none-the-less).

~ Clam
post #19 of 27 Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for all the help guys. Turns out it was the battery. All good now!
post #20 of 27 Old 12-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
The alarm doesn't activate unless you lock the door with the remote.. If you lock the doors by hitting the switch on the door and then unlock them with the key.. The alarm won't sound.. The only way to disarm is to insert the key in the ignition and turn on the Jeep..
I hate to break it to you benmar but your wrong. Though logic would say you are correct , Jeep says your not. I unlocked my doors with my remote. Then locked them with the switch on the door and then unlocked then with the key, the second I opened the door the alarm went off. I thought the same thing you did at first but then I tried it b/c technically your alarm shouldnt sound unless its activated by the remote, but it does if you lock the doors at all electronically.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #21 of 27 Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock191 View Post
I hate to break it to you benmar but your wrong. Though logic would say you are correct , Jeep says your not. I unlocked my doors with my remote. Then locked them with the switch on the door and then unlocked then with the key, the second I opened the door the alarm went off. I thought the same thing you did at first but then I tried it b/c technically your alarm shouldnt sound unless its activated by the remote, but it does if you lock the doors at all electronically.
Yeah.. I know.. I locked the doors and opened them right afterwards.. Not realizing I had to wait 30 secs or so.. Oh well.. Sorry for any miss information..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #22 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
Yeah.. I know.. I locked the doors and opened them right afterwards.. Not realizing I had to wait 30 secs or so.. Oh well.. Sorry for any miss information..
I did that the first time also. Then I tried it again while cleaning off the snow and sure enough it went off. I was a tad confused on how the alarm was armed when I didnt arm it with the remote.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #23 of 27 Old 01-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Rock God

FYI - A neat feature it also has is:

If you have your windows down then lock your doors (arming the alarm system). If you or someone else reaches through the window and opens the door using the inside door latch the alarm will also go off. Kinda handy idea for when the softtop is on.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #24 of 27 Old 01-02-2010, 06:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My problem is my horn right now sounds like an elephant with a bad cold.. It goes "NORT"

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
post #25 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Help

I have a issue on my 98 Grand Coherokee Laradeo SE the alarm is stuck on no remote or any thing just used the button to lock it then when put key in door unlocked it alarm went of been stranded for 4 days now have tried every thing is there a way to disarm the alarm system all to geather for ever!!??
would apreciate any ideas or comments Please Help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode