Door wiring for courtesy lights. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Door wiring for courtesy lights.

Anyone ever/or know off the top of their heads if there are any hot wires going into the door harness that power on when opening the door? Thinking there is something that signals the dome light. Would like to install courtesy lights that activate when the door opens and trying to keep the wiring to a minimal. Would be ideal if I could just splice right off of the harness instead of running off of the dome light.

Anyone? Thanks.

WVU Alum.
Coal keeps the lights on and the Jeep parts in the brown truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Granite Guru

I'm running my courtesy lights off a yellow wire with a white stripe in the bundle in the front passenger foot well. I used a vampire clip for the connection. The ground wire is attached to a ground stud also in the front passenger wheel well. They go on anytime the dome lights go on. There are other wires and connectors available but this worked for me.

I should do a how to in the write up section.

Steve
post #3 of 4 Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Hello Steve,
will this work with the 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara?
I want to add courtesy lights underneath the stepboards and underneath the driver and passenger and back seats. Please advise, thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

I have a 2010 Sahara. Can't say for sure if the same wire will work. See if the wire is in the bundle and check it with a multi-meter.

I used the readily available led light strips with adhesive backing. I thought about putting them under the side boards but did not think they would hold up trail rides and water. I placed them on the bottom of the door inboard of the rubber door gasket. My thinking was the location would be best to keep the led strips protected from moisture and road/trail debris.

Use a connector of your choice to disconnect for going doorless. The stock door connector has 2 open cavities but I could not find what type of pins they use. A 2 pole Hopkins connector or even simple spade connectors will work. Just be sure to wire the spades so you can't cross connect and cause a short. Except for the dome light circuit tap all of my splices and connectors are soldered and sealed with marine grade heat shrink tubes. I used a vampire splice on the dome wire. The access to the dome was way to tight for me to try and solder.

The led strips do not draw enough current to wreak havoc with the jeep electronics. I've been using them for a couple of years with no issues.

I really should do a write-up with pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode