Audio experts: Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Audio experts: Question

Alright,
Im going to build myself a nice box in in the next few weeks.
This is my preliminary design
What do you see that I should change?

A few points first:
I dont want to port, i prefer sealed.
Running 2 10's
Goal is a nice box that will be fully secured to the jeep that puts out nice sound.
No competition stuff here, purely for my listening pleasure, and im not a huge audiophile.

Angled front to match the seat back angle.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

i have nothing that can be construed as help, just to say that looks pretty cool

are you gonna keep it off the floor to avoid water when wheeling and what about if you are topless during a flash rain storm?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

Are the two chambers sealed separately from each other? Using a sealed enclosure is less efficient than a ported one but if you have the power to handle it, it can offer a tighter sound with an amp that has good response time an dampening characteristics. You might want to plan the enclosure to give you the option to either join or separate the chambers after you've had a chance to listen to it for awhile.. I looks very nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
JKO Addict!

remove the bottom piece in front of the sub , so you have sound coming out two ways instead of one , because the back open part is against the seat
post #5 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
Are the two chambers sealed separately from each other? Using a sealed enclosure is less efficient than a ported one but if you have the power to handle it, it can offer a tighter sound with an amp that has good response time an dampening characteristics. You might want to plan the enclosure to give you the option to either join or separate the chambers after you've had a chance to listen to it for awhile.. I looks very nice!
Haven't decided yet, depends on which subs i buy and how much volume they need.....

also you have any idea on how to make it where i can change the volume after its built?

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday

Last edited by SONIC; 12-05-2009 at 11:24 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
remove the bottom piece in front of the sub , so you have sound coming out two ways instead of one , because the back open part is against the seat
You think that will help?
I have always had my subs firing directly into the back seat and it has sounded great.

But there is definately not much area exposed to let the sound out....

Hmm so i should open it up?

-Doc Holiday
post #7 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
i have nothing that can be construed as help, just to say that looks pretty cool

are you gonna keep it off the floor to avoid water when wheeling and what about if you are topless during a flash rain storm?
The plan thus far is to build it that way, that puts the subs about 2" off the ground and the amp about 6 inches off the ground.

Also planning on covering it in plastic before i carpet it to keep the MDF from getting waterlogged or leaking onto the backside of the subs.

-Doc Holiday
post #8 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Rock God

Don't use MDF because moisture will wreak havoc with it. Get yourself some zero void, Baltic Birch, marine grade plywood. It's more expensive but it's great material to build sub enclosures out of.

If you're concerned about water damage then you may want to coat the enclosure with fiberglass resin. Don't worry about the glass just the resin. This will seal the wood much better then primer.

Good luck.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
Don't use MDF because moisture will wreak havoc with it. Get yourself some zero void, Baltic Birch, marine grade plywood. It's more expensive but it's great material to build sub enclosures out of.

If you're concerned about water damage then you may want to coat the enclosure with fiberglass resin. Don't worry about the glass just the resin. This will seal the wood much better then primer.

Good luck.
Yeah i have heard about the birch also.....
i figured if i sealed the MDF well it wouldn't matter because no water would get to it anyway.

Decisions decisions

-Doc Holiday
post #10 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Rock God

Plans look good, but lose the piece on the front. And, could you post your cut sheet and specs? I may be interested in something like this for myself.

2012 JKUR Bright White - Ordered 2-1-2012, Built 3-7-2012, Arrived 3-9-2012, Picked Up 3-10-12
post #11 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Banned

Wow!!! You can build that?? That's almost the exact same idea I had for some subs, except I have dual 12" subs and I additionally wanted to make it so I could mount dual 6x9's on the top of the box.

The only other thing that I thought of which was needed was some kind of mounting kit to secure the box but would not make it too hard to remove.

I was thinking of making brackets which are on each side like this one where it gets secured to the cage bars with a U bolt.

While you're at it....can you make 2 but one of them large enough for 12" subs?

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-19-2009 at 08:28 AM.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Wow!!! You can build that?? That's almost the exact same idea I had for some subs, except I have dual 12" subs and I additionally wanted to make it so I could mount dual 6x9's on the top of the box.

The only other thing that I thought of which was needed was some kind of mounting kit to secure the box but would not make it too hard to remove.

I was thinking of making brackets which are on each side like this one where it gets secured to the cage bars with a U bolt.

While you're at it....can you make 2 but one of them large enough for 12" subs?
Haha ill see how the first one turns out first. Ill be building it the week after christmas so ill post up.

-Doc Holiday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode