Replacing OE lighbulbs with Sylvania Silverstar H13 headlight and 9145 fog lightbulbs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Replacing OE lighbulbs with Sylvania Silverstar H13 headlight and 9145 fog lightbulbs

I just replaced the OE headlight and fog light bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars.
The improvement in the headlights is visible; while the difference on the fog lights is barely perceptible.

There are several approaches on how to replace the bulbs.

In my experience:
  • For the headlights, I removed the grille and the air intake; my hands barely fit to replace the bulbs. If your hands are too big you will need to remove the headlight reflectors to facilitate the process --you will need to have the correct size torx tools for this.

• For the foglamps, the easiest process seems to be to slide under the front bumper, past the plastic air shield. From there you will see the back of the bumper and the foglamps. WARNING: Rubicon models will have a tough time replacing the right side bulb because the electric locker blocks the access. Still, with patience and agile wrists you should be able to do it.

If I were to do it again, I would still replace the headlight bulbs and NOT bother with OE fog lightbulbs.

Hope this helps.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2009, 09:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

to do the headlights just remove the grill then remove the torx screws that hold the headlight retainer ring on
then the whole headlight is in your hand, takes about 5 minutes to change a headlight bulb if you do it this way
told you this same thing in your other thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Wheeler

I replaced my headlight as well as my fogs also with silverstars. I did the headlights first, then a few days later did the fogs. The OEM fogs looked yellow after replacing the headlights. Once I upgraded the fogs all look the same. Adjust the headlights down just a bit that will also make a big difference.

08 2-Door Detonator Yellow
R.E. 3.5 SuperFlex
35' MT MTZ's
M.T. Wheels
M8000 Winch
Rugged Ridge Front Bumper
Xenon Narrows
MBRP Rock Rails
C-Gussets
Lower Control arms skids
FlowMaster Super 44 Relocated
Woods EVAP kit
Hypertec
KC 8' Slimlites on Mopar mounts
KC Hood Light Bar with 26 Series
Cooltech mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM

just ANOTHER way the "man" gets you to spend money that you dont need to spend money on, INVEST MAN, INVEST
post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

good to know, i need to change my headlights out, they (as all jk lights do) suck

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #6 of 7 Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
to do the headlights just remove the grill then remove the torx screws that hold the headlight retainer ring on
then the whole headlight is in your hand, takes about 5 minutes to change a headlight bulb if you do it this way
told you this same thing in your other thread.
Hello . . . Please excuse my ignorance here with this. I just picked up my first Jeep. It's a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited and I'm trying to change the existing Headlamp Bulb with the new SilverStar H13(9008). I took everything apart (Grille, Headlamp Ring) and pulled out the old bulb. Once I was ready to put the new SilverStar in I found that It won't fit with the existing housing. Am I not removing enough? Am I removing too much? Am I really that frickin' stupid with this? PLEASE help . . . Thank you in advance.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

That is the correct bulb and procedure. The trick is to line the slots up correctly with the housing when inserting the new bulb. DO NOT touch the new bulb with bare hands. Take your time and take a close look at how the slots are arranged on the housing and bulb base. Good luck!

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode