How to disable the traction control? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

How to disable the traction control?

Not much of a technical question but...

My friend would like to disable the traction control on his '09 so he can... ummm... have some "fun" in the snow.

Is there a specific fuse that you can pop out to accomplish this?
Or something similarly easy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Wheeler

Procedure To Turn ON (or OFF) The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a
manual transmission is in neutral gear.
b. Start the vehicle engine and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb
check to complete.
c. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position. Firmly set parking brake.
d. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight
ahead.
e. Turn the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the right (clockwise). HOLD steering
wheel in this position.
f. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds. Release the “ESP OFF” button
right after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.
g. Turn the steering wheel back to center, then turn the steering wheel one-half (˝)
turn to the left (counterclockwise). HOLD the steering wheel in this position.
h. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button
post #3 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Garage

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

I've read this before a couple years ago. I read different feedback on that complicated step-by-step procedure. I also found another thread that identifed a wire running through the console... cut it, installed a NC switch, and when I want to slide it around in the snow I flip the switch opening the circuit. Doing so disables the system, but... other warning lights illuminate which may you feel uneasy. Never had a problem. Once the the switch is reset to close the circuit, the ignition shut off and restarted... all is reset.

Just a shame I don't see too much snow here in northern Texas. Snowed earlier this week, but didn't stick to the ground.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Rock God

I think it depends also what year JK. The '07 is not nearly as reasonable on disabling the ESP as the later years. If you want to dig into the console to do the wire disable, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #6 of 18 Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Wheeler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
I think it depends also what year JK. The '07 is not nearly as reasonable on disabling the ESP as the later years. If you want to dig into the console to do the wire disable, let me know and I'll walk you through it.
'07's need to be flashed with an update before the above procedure will work. I had mine done for free at the dealer, turned it off and never looked back.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
'07's need to be flashed with an update before the above procedure will work. I had mine done for free at the dealer, turned it off and never looked back.
So you don't have to reset it every time you start the Jeep? Also what lights go on the dash with it turned off?

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-10-2009, 04:49 PM

how do you turn this off permanently, everytime i shut down my jeep and restart it, i have to go through the procedure again
post #9 of 18 Old 12-10-2009, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

your not doing the hokey pokey at the end ,thats why.

i have no idea i tried to do it to my 07 (no flash from dealer) but it didnt work

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 18 Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
your not doing the hokey pokey at the end ,thats why.

i have no idea i tried to do it to my 07 (no flash from dealer) but it didnt work
If you have never flashed your 07 it won't work.

And the procedure I posted is a permanent turn off until you repeat the procedure to turn it back on.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #11 of 18 Old 12-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Wheeler

I'm a little lost. I thought that when I pressed the ESP button it turned it off and then when I press it again it turns it back on.
Do you only have to run through this procedure when you want it off permanently?
Thanks
post #12 of 18 Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalops View Post
I'm a little lost. I thought that when I pressed the ESP button it turned it off and then when I press it again it turns it back on.
Do you only have to run through this procedure when you want it off permanently?
Thanks
correct

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #13 of 18 Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhrd4 View Post
correct
Ummm, not true. the off button mode only works up until about 20-30 mph, then it will kick back in even if the light is on (telling you its off)

the most comprehensive way to turn off big brother is to remove the fuses that govern the traction control and ABS.

I pulled mine the first day and have been government free ever since. it is also much safer off road, the last thing you want is to nail the brakes only to have the system start to modulate and keep going rather than slide a bit and stop.

15 years of off road racing, ABS sucks in the dirt.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

My 'switched' ESP on my automatic was done by inserting a switch in the circuit leading to one of its sensors in the center console. I believe it is a grey wire with a light purple pin-stripe, but I would have to check. I believe I got to the thread through pirate4x4 which to me to another forum thread.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #15 of 18 Old 12-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishlinewest View Post
Ummm, not true. the off button mode only works up until about 20-30 mph, then it will kick back in even if the light is on (telling you its off)

the most comprehensive way to turn off big brother is to remove the fuses that govern the traction control and ABS.

I pulled mine the first day and have been government free ever since. it is also much safer off road, the last thing you want is to nail the brakes only to have the system start to modulate and keep going rather than slide a bit and stop.

15 years of off road racing, ABS sucks in the dirt.

this part of his post is correct tho right? or even if you do the perma turn off it will still kick back on? i have completely disabled mine before by using the steps provided above and have never experienced it turning back on? and im pretty sure ive had it above 20-30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalops View Post
Thanks

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #16 of 18 Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Rock God

Just a thought. You might want to read the fine print of your insurance policy about disabling safety features.

They usually overlook mods, but intentionally and permanently disabling a factory safety feature is another thing. They look look for any way they can not to pay you.

If you lose control and wreck it is hard to prove big tires or a bumper caused it. Much easier to prove no ABS, ESP etc at the time of the accident.

post #17 of 18 Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Just a thought. You might want to read the fine print of your insurance policy about disabling safety features.

They usually overlook mods, but intentionally and permanently disabling a factory safety feature is another thing. They look look for any way they can not to pay you.

If you lose control and wreck it is hard to prove big tires or a bumper caused it. Much easier to prove no ABS, ESP etc at the time of the accident.
Good point. I wonder how they would view my switch. Need a black box.

Funny, my local Jeep dealer had no problem NOT replacing my failed A/T based on 'big' tires and... the 4" lift!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #18 of 18 Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Rock God

I think the big insurance issue is that they give you certain specific discounts based on the safety features of the Jeep. So you breach the insurance contract by disabling those features.

Contracts typically don't say anything about other mods.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode