Subwoofer Security - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Subwoofer Security

i am going to put 2 12" subs in the back of my 2 door jk and want to know what i can do about people breaking in and taking them...i know there is a Tuffy sercurity thing that would solve my problem but i dont feel like dropping $400 on that. Any suggestions?

3.5" Rubicon Express lift
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic II
35" Nitto Mud Grapplers
Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper
Flowmaster 40 Series
48" Hi-Lift Jack
KC Slimlights long range
Rugged Ridge mirror relocation brackets
MasterCraft Grab Handles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler20 View Post
i am going to put 2 12" subs in the back of my 2 door jk and want to know what i can do about people breaking in and taking them...i know there is a Tuffy sercurity thing that would solve my problem but i dont feel like dropping $400 on that. Any suggestions?
you could build you own, that's always a good route if you can. most security decks will cost you, but keep in mind how much your subs/amps/equipment is worth and weigh that against the cost of the security system. That's how I can justify spending $350-400 on a roll cage when a single full head MRI costs about $2,000

I understand the Jeep thing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well, IMO Jeep security is a double edged sword.

Whatever it may be, if you bolt it in and make it a real bitch to get out you risk the ancilary damage from the douchbag thieves ripping your stuff out.

If you make em easy to snag they'll get stolen with little more than a sliced window and some torn wiring. (you didn't say if you had a hard top but I would assume that if you did, you wouldn't be so concerned about theft)

Some ideas:

1. Go cheap~ so when they're stolen you're not quite so pissed about it.

2. Go expensive~ get some good insurance and "let it go".

Bottom line, locks typically do little more than keep honest people honest. If that thievin bastard wants your gear bad enough, he's gonna get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I already had 2 10's and an amp stolen out of the back of my jeep. SO i know where your coming from.

My plan is to build a box that bolts to the floor in 10+ places, and at the same time be less conspicuous than a standard box. Im going to have 2 down firing 10's. Theres a thread about my plans in the electrical tech section.

The concern about people tearing up your jeep while trying to steal it is a valid concern. But whn im done it really wont be able to be stolen without destroying the enclosure. (which is easier said than done with 3/4 inch MDF and wood glue and screws all herculined.)

My view is that I would rather they destroy the box and get away with nothing than just lift my subs out.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #5 of 9 Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Granite Guru

pssst....
for tens you don't need three quater...... half inch will do nicely...unless they are pumping out more than 400 watts

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2009, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjones View Post
pssst....
for tens you don't need three quater...... half inch will do nicely...unless they are pumping out more than 400 watts
hmmmm.....
Hadnt thought of that....
well see.
If its not too much extra ill probably just go with 3/4 because you never know when ill up the power
To start with i'll be running about 400 RMS total.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

there's no harm in using the heavier stuff ...but how much do those tens weigh?...not much
how much are they putting out singly...not much....
maybe 200 watts or so each... no es nessecario 3/4"

Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Granite Guru

the only reason really to use heavier material is for support...the bigger/heavier the woofer the more rigid/supportive the material needs to be.
(my woofer weighs a ton that's why I used 3/4)
if you're only using tens (unless using W7's or something similar) save the weight and the money and use 1/2"

if constructed and braced properly it'll be fine

double up the material around the mounting hole with a ring of wood the size of the woofer/opening on the inside of the box so you are now mounting the woofer to an inch of thickness instead of 1/2
research box building methods and you'll find a ton of info on how to do this

post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Granite Guru

And to the OP
The most secure method I've devised would be (with a box of my design anyway/photobucket x08jk)
Tacking nutz(yeah I said tacking nutz-or is it tacky nutz?!) to the inside of the tub with a welder (I have yet to find someone I'm confident in) so all I have to do is thread a bolt through a hole in the foot(feet) of the box and into the side of the tub
(I plan on using a torx bit head on the bolt as they are not as common and less likely to be removed with any tool a thief would/might be carrying)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode