Best Rigid Lighting Setup - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Best Rigid Lighting Setup

I am new to the forum and thought this would be the perfect place to ask a lighting question. I am wanting to add some auxiliary lighting to my JKU. I have decided to go all LED and have a nice new sPOD to wire everything too. I am looking to add lights to my A pillars, a 30" to the front bumper, and some lighting to the rear. My JKU spends the summers in the mountains of Colorado so the roads and mountain trails can get a little dark at night, not to mention the occasional Elk running across you path.

The multiple options available from Rigid make choosing the correct lights difficult. So, here is my question to those of you with real world experience with these lights. To get the most desirable coverage in front of the vehicle, which light versions and light patterns should I use for my A pillars and the 30" light bar?

For the rear, I can fit either some form of D series, SRM/SRQ, or a 6" E series above my license plate in the center of my rear tire. Thoughts on which light and light pattern for the rear? Really looking for the best solution to light up the back of the vehicle and the trail or area behind the vehicle. Also, to light up camp sites.

Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Wheeler

Haven't done Rigid yet. However, my past experience with HID's and Halogen always was the same:

Replaced headlamps with HID's.
Replaced fogs with something a little brighter while keeping the wide angle focus.
On the A pillars I always did pencil beams so it would throw way past the hood to avoid glare.
I never did anything with the rear.

Keep in mind, unless you are in front, you'll blind everyone else. Most of the time while doing night trails, I would run fogs only. They illuminate the trail enough to see obstacles. Obviously, this won't matter if you're out by yourself...

Jeff
'01, '03 TJ's
'06 XK
'13 JKU & WK2
post #3 of 21 Old 05-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Rock God

Best recomendation for Rigid lights is to save money and buy smaller Baja Designs lights.

If I were you I would either do a 20" BD Stealth, or 15" OnX, and a SII out back. You will have more light than your proposed rigid setup, the ability to change beam patterns, and more money in your pocket.

Jon

08 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-30-2014, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies Jeff and Jon.

Didn't know Baja Designs was making lights like these. I have a BD setup on my KTM enduro bike.

I have to agree, that I have been less than impressed with Rigid. The sales people that I have spoken to at stores don't seem to be able to answer any questions about the differences in models or light patterns of their lights. I even reached out to Rigid directly several times by email and no response. So finally, I called them and spoke to a sales rep and it seemed like he couldn't get off the phone fast enough. I asked several questions about the different models and I got very empty answers. He didn't even seem to know the difference between E or E2, SRM or SRQ. To me, if your own sales people don't know your products then how can your resellers.

I don't want to bash them. They make a good product and have grown extremely fast, so I am sure there are some major growing pains going on for them as a company. But, if any of this reflects on how they will handle their warranty and post sale....that is scary.

I really would like to use their product and give Rigid my business, but I have never had this hard a time getting any informed answers. Anybody out there have any real world experience and know what Rigid versions would work best in the sizes and locations I specified? This is an expensive decision and I would like to only do it once.

Thanks to all in advance...
post #5 of 21 Old 05-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Rock God

I guess the more important question would be what are you looking to use the lights for, or what do you expect to get out of them?

Typically I would do a LED bar on the bumper in a combo pattern (part spot, part flood), and use the A-Pillar location for a spot pattern. In the back if you are looking for a work/backup light then go with a diffused pattern. If you are looking for a backup light only then go with a flood or combo pattern depending on the options.

I think that a big part of the reason the sales people don't know much at Rigid is because they keep so many engineering secrets. They don't publish things like what LEDs they are using, what their beam patterns are in degrees, or information about their lights other than pictures of overly blinged out trucks and very generic isolux charts.

Baja Designs on the other hand publishes all of this information (spot only lights are 10 degrees, combos are 12.5 degree centers and 40 degree fills, wide cornering patterns are 44 degrees, and flood is a 75 degree pattern). Want to know the color of the Rigid lights? That's a secret, but Baja Designs will tell you that they are using either 5 or 10 watt Cree LEDs (XM-L2, XP-G2) all at 5000K.

When buying lights (or any other product) I don't want secrets. I want to know what I am getting, and how product A will interact with product B. I have spoken to Rigid before and I have also spoken with Baja Designs. When it comes to service I have never been treated better by a company before, or after the sale than I have been by Baja Designs.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #6 of 21 Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Granite Guru

Coming from a person with a 50", D2's on the windshield, and dually's for fogs that also wheels in the mountains, if I was in your situation I would get the 30" in a spot and then run D2 floods in the fogs. I know it wouldn't be ideal for fogs but I find that my D2's put out so much light as floods that when I turn on my 50" flood/spot combo I don't really see to much of a difference in the area where the D2's where lighting up before. If I was to do mine again I would get my 50" in just spot to get more concentrated light farther out. With running the D2's in the fogs it will still light up the area in front plenty well and you can still run them if you are behind someone and not piss them off.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the advice from each of you.

Here is an update. I have a Fab Fours front bumper and the updated Fab Fours fogs put out some good fog light. So, I have decided on a 30" E-Series Combo just above the winch on the bumper. For the A-Pillars, I going with Dually's in spot pattern. That way I can cover I can kick them out to the right and left a little to give me some distant roadside coverage.

For the rear, I think I have decided on either two Dually Floods or two D2 Driving. Not sure yet. But, I think the Dually Floods should be plenty (I can always throw on diffused lenses if needed). I am planning fabricating a small bracket that will hold the lights in the center of my rear tire carrier just above my license plate.

Name:  Rear Jeep Pic.JPG
Views: 1835
Size:  124.4 KB
post #8 of 21 Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I am pretty much the poster boy for JeepinJon's suggestion. I have a Rigid 10" SR Combo mounted below the mid hoop on my JCR Dagger, a set of D1 spots on the A's, and a set of D1 floods above my spare. I have never felt like I needed more light in that configuration. Anything more would be overkill unless you like wheeling alone, or up front all the time. I have had my own complaints about Rigid's customer service and their almost blatant absence on any of the forums. But, they do make solid products that work, so for that, I can't complain too much. I do think they need to look at their pricing a little better, 80 dollars a piece for a single A series puck light is insulting. You know that thing cost a dollar to make. Even then, a fellow forum member who used to work for them lamented over the quality concerns regarding those A series lights. Epoxy in the lens opening was what he mentioned. For 80 bucks, I expect it to be close to perfection for a single, tiny light. Okay, rant over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-04-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JKCTAZ. I think you sealed the deal for me and I will save a few bucks and go with the D1 Floods for the rear. Thanks for in use expertise.

I have worked many years at an upper level for a large company that manufactures products for home, business, education, and healthcare. I can tell you from all my years of experience. You can make the best product in the world and it will soon be copied and commoditized. What will sustain you as a company is your name and level of service. I think Rigid makes a great product and I hope they soon change their ways....or they will be asking how they became Betamax. Rant over as well.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-05-2014, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

See my thread for BD's new offering on the market.

I run a 10" Aurora on my front bumper, it covers 90% of my needed lighting when my JW Speakers dont cut it (rarely), and if I need more I hit the 50"

Quality rock lights are more important than A pillar lights. You will use those a LOT more often
post #11 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Wheeler

Good option for Rock Lights : http://www.kchilites.com/lights/cyclone.html

Hero Offroad is a nationwide community-based voluntary organization dedicated to Honoring our Nations War Veterans, Wounded Warriors and their Families.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Wheeler

I'd go with D2's on the A-pillar. I ran those for about two years. Just switched them to the bumper because I put a ruggedridge snorkel and a 50" chinese knockoff on the windshield. The D2's in a driving pattern are by far the best beam pattern for small lights facing forward. I also have dually floods for fogs and for reverse lights, and used to have dually spots on the A-pillar. The floods and spots are super bright too, but the D2's dwarf them and have a better pattern. As for the 30", I'd go with E-series. The double row produce more lumens than the SR. Just my $0.02.

2013 JKU Sahara: 3.5" RK springs, Fox resi shocks, Synergy high steer kit, DIY-PSC Hydroassist, JKS quick discos, LŌD rear bumper and sliders, ARB stubby front, 37" BFG KM2, 17" XDSeries Rockstar2, Warn M8000, Rigid lights, Chinese lights, RR Modular Snorkel, G2 4.56 gears & diff covers, Detroit TrueTracs front & rear, Artec Truss & c-gussets front, RCV's front, Tom Woods 1310 Front shaft.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Wheeler

I have the 50" and 6 Duallys. My set up has 2 floods on the front armor above the winch. 2 Floods on the A pillar armor below the 50. With 2 diffused on the rear tailight housings.

Here are some charts to look at so you can tell the difference.

Here is a good link as well http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...03715623021592

Rigid has teamed with MOPAR so the lights are factory certified parts now. Plus they have a factory lifetime limited warranty.
Attached Images

Last edited by Oniblues; 06-24-2014 at 01:02 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniblues View Post
Rigid has teamed with MOPAR so the lights are factory certified parts now. Plus they have a factory lifetime limited warranty.
That doesn't mean much since Rigids already came with a lifetime warranty, and many of the companies who have paired up with Mopar have done so to sell an inferior product at higher margins. We have seen this with Rubicon Express and TeraFlex so far, and their AEV components are more than going stright to the source.

I would rather not have to send my lights in to Mopar or Rigid every 3 to 6 months because they suck water into them and fail.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #15 of 21 Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
That doesn't mean much since Rigids already came with a lifetime warranty, and many of the companies who have paired up with Mopar have done so to sell an inferior product at higher margins. We have seen this with Rubicon Express and TeraFlex so far, and their AEV components are more than going stright to the source.

I would rather not have to send my lights in to Mopar or Rigid every 3 to 6 months because they suck water into them and fail.
I have no experience about water seeping into the housing. But any other company that has a warranty will require the parts to be shipped back.
Some companies will do a service analysis on the part before issuing credit or replacement.

You are correct about mark up but factory certification is part of that inflated price. My point is that is with a factory certified part the dealership carries or has access to the parts local in most cases.

The only issue I had was with the rear Dually the light became loose in the bracket which caused the light to droop. Evidently one of the screws were stripped. My dealership replaced the part under warranty and they had the part in stock.

Just my .02 but that can push me to spend a few more dollars.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 PM

I have a 2013 JKU I drive approx 70 miles to work in the dark. What is your suggestion for fog lights. I want to replace the headlights with led but the cost is a set back right now.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brownJKU View Post
I have a 2013 JKU I drive approx 70 miles to work in the dark. What is your suggestion for fog lights. I want to replace the headlights with led but the cost is a set back right now.
If you are looking for a tru fog that fits into the factory location then J.W. Speakers are the best option. Another option for a bit more would be the Baja Designs Squadron Sport kit they make to replace factory fogs, but this is going to be more to supplement your high beams.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #18 of 21 Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewDrakeNC
LED Driving / Fog Lights

I run the Baja Designs Squadrons - one set of White ones with long range optics, mounted on the Hood Hinge Mount and another set mounted in the Bumper with the Amber Wide Cornering Optics.

I had the OnX on the Factory Bumper and have not yet installed them on the new Bumper as I haven't seen the need for any more light.

I also have the 51" OnX Light Bar - but frankly that's too much light and I don't often have the need for so much light - on the back country roads - or when wheeling off-road.
Attached Images

Thanks to all our WarFighters - Past, Present and Future - without you we would not enjoy the freedoms we have today!
post #19 of 21 Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewDrakeNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
If you are looking for a tru fog that fits into the factory location then J.W. Speakers are the best option. Another option for a bit more would be the Baja Designs Squadron Sport kit they make to replace factory fogs, but this is going to be more to supplement your high beams.
Just thought I'd "correct" that.... The Squadrons hardly "supplement" my headlights!!! I can hardly tell when I turn my headlamps on or off when running my Squadrons - and I have 55Watt HID's!

Thanks to all our WarFighters - Past, Present and Future - without you we would not enjoy the freedoms we have today!
post #20 of 21 Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDrakeNC View Post
I run the Baja Designs Squadrons - one set of White ones with long range optics, mounted on the Hood Hinge Mount and another set mounted in the Bumper with the Amber Wide Cornering Optics.

I had the OnX on the Factory Bumper and have not yet installed them on the new Bumper as I haven't seen the need for any more light.

I also have the 51" OnX Light Bar - but frankly that's too much light and I don't often have the need for so much light - on the back country roads - or when wheeling off-road.

LIFE-MUFUGGIN' SIZED PHOTOS ! ! !
DOOD!

Please start resizing your photos rather than posting billboards.

MUFUGGIN' PLEASE!

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #21 of 21 Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDrakeNC View Post
Just thought I'd "correct" that.... The Squadrons hardly "supplement" my headlights!!! I can hardly tell when I turn my headlamps on or off when running my Squadrons - and I have 55Watt HID's!
Are you running the Squadron or Squadron XL on the bumper? I haven't seen the standard Squadron in a wide cornering amber which is the only reason I ask.

Jon

08 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode