08 rubicon electrical problems! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

08 rubicon electrical problems!

Hello! this is my first post in JKO.. I've got a 2008 jk rubicon. its got just over 94,000 miles on it and i love it. a few weeks ago, we had some BAAAAAD rain in NC and i stupidly got caught with my doors and top off. water got EVERYWHERE. the day after, my jeep wouldn't start. when it did, none of the gauges worked, and all of the idiot lights were illuminated. but the jeep still ran. i had to get to work, so i took the risk and drove.

that afternoon, i went to leave work, and the key fob wouldn't unlock the doors. after I unlocked the door with the manual lock, the alarm went off, and when i went to turn the key to turn off the alarm, the gauges would light up, but the alarm would keep going. i took off the battery cables and waited 30 minutes, and the second i touched the cable to the terminal, the alarm would keep blaring. i took the cables off and fell asleep while i was waiting haha. i woke up and looked online and read that if i pull the J13 fuse and wait a little bit, it'll reset everything. i did that and it started right up. it drove fine for 5 days, then the same thing happened. pulled that fuse, pulled the cables off, and waited and it was all good.

now, 6 days later (getting longer and longer! haha) it happens again as i'm moving it around the driveway. no tach, no speedo, all the lights are on. its acting like i have the key in the 1 position. now i pulled that fuse up, and have the battery cables off. what else should i check? i've had the jeep for a year now and this is the first real problem i've had. i dont know my way around it that well, but am willing to do what i have to do to make it better!

thank you so much!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

guess i should just take it to the dealership..
post #3 of 8 Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

If the clock-spring ( located inside the steering column) gets wet, it can cause some electrical glitches like what you are describing. I would think that that would be a good place to start looking, unless you are more inclined to take it to the dealership.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-27-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If the clock-spring ( located inside the steering column) gets wet, it can cause some electrical glitches like what you are describing. I would think that that would be a good place to start looking, unless you are more inclined to take it to the dealership.
haha that was mainly just a bump.. is there any way to test the clock spring? I have access to the necessary tools to remove the wheel so that shouldn't be an issue at all
post #5 of 8 Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Yea... I know lol.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a way to test it. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Replacement isn't too difficult. There is at least one good write-up on here about it. I can find it if you're interested.

Whether or not scanning for active codes would help eliminate or confirm anything, I don't know.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 8 Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Yea... I know lol.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a way to test it. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Replacement isn't too difficult. There is at least one good write-up on here about it. I can find it if you're interested.

Whether or not scanning for active codes would help eliminate or confirm anything, I don't know.
thats the weird part to me.. i scanned it and no codes came up.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

That's why I mentioned it... I don't think that there is a code associated with a bad clock-spring, but always best to scan and see what else could be wrong.

I really do think that you got some water down in there and it caused your clock-spring module to get screwed up.

It could also be some other kind of short due to moisture... dunno.

I would try ( at the very least) trying to completely dry out the interior ( mainly behind the dash) using a blower fan, some heat, etc.

I would also disconnect the battery overnight and see if that does anything... although I doubt it. Never know.

post #8 of 8 Old 07-31-2015, 04:07 PM

Smile

I have the same issue with my 08 jk rubicon, the problem seems to be on the swaybar disconnect harness, when it gets wet my jeep turns crazy, abs light turn on, hot oil warning, brake, and then it won't turn on, I disconneted the swaybar harness and the problem was gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode