Trail Dash Backup Camera - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Question Trail Dash Backup Camera

I've been thinking about pulling the rear view mirror out and replacing it with a camera and monitor solution. I noticed the Trail Dash has a backup camera option and was wondering if I wired it into the ignition would the camera back screen turn on with the car every time I got it? Also do you know if the backup lines are in the monitor or the camera? Finally, if the backup camera is running it it possible to exit out of the screen if power is still supplied to the camera?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 AM
Granite Guru

I have used the inexpensive Pyle systems. The monitor just clamps on the mirror. I leave it on all the time while driving. Also has a mirror surface, if you change your focus a bit you can get both images.

'17 Unlimited
'03 TJ
post #3 of 15 Old 05-26-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

I thought about using regular monitor but figured if I was going to have to have a screen there anyway I might as well make it dual purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Rock God

I have trail dash and a cheap $20 camera from Amazon. It's been flawless. I really like it. I have pulled my rear view mirror as it is useless with 37" spare and 6" lift. If I go to 40"s it will be even worse.

I would like to have the ability to look out back or have other cameras positioned so I can spot my self. Does anyone have ideas?

I am just starting research on other products to add and build a system and also just change my wiring for my rear view camera so I can just switch it on and keep it working with reverse lights. Thanks.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I run the trail dash and the back up camera from pyle. With the trail dash plugged in and you toss the jeep in reverse, the camera comes on. But as soon as you go into drive for more than 5 minutes, if you want to back into a space again, you will manually have to enter the camera mode, which takes 3 button pushes, but in that time, you could already be parked. Great for backing up the first time, but if you want to say back into the garage after driving for a while, it's a manual action.

Hopefully trail dash will fix the software so that every time the jeep is put into reverse the trail dash will detect the camera automatically bringing up the display.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
post #6 of 15 Old 10-03-2014, 03:25 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathie84 View Post
I run the trail dash and the back up camera from pyle. With the trail dash plugged in and you toss the jeep in reverse, the camera comes on. But as soon as you go into drive for more than 5 minutes, if you want to back into a space again, you will manually have to enter the camera mode, which takes 3 button pushes, but in that time, you could already be parked. Great for backing up the first time, but if you want to say back into the garage after driving for a while, it's a manual action.

Hopefully trail dash will fix the software so that every time the jeep is put into reverse the trail dash will detect the camera automatically bringing up the display.
I drive to home and back into garage every time due to how tight it is in the garage with all our crap. It works for me everytime after driving home from work. Camera is getting power from reverse lights. I can't turn it on unless in reverse as the camera wouldn't have power. There has to be something with your setup that requires you to turn it on manually. Bottom line super chips have nothing to fix and mine has worked flawlessly with slipping it into reverse anytime.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Wheeler

Traildash questions

The backup marker lines are done by the camera itself. Not all of them have this feature but these days, even some of the cheap ($30 or so) license plate frame cameras come with it.

On my 2014 JKU, my Traildash wouldn't auto switch to the backup camera when I put the Jeep in reverse, despite claims it was supposed to have that feature. I finally found out it's a known bug in their software and they have (at least an experimental version) of it that fixes it. Seems to only be a problem for the 2012+ Jeeps.

I had to put in a support request with technical support at SuperChips and they had me reconnect my TrailDash to my PC and check for updates, causing it to download the new, custom firmware version they targeted at my unit's serial number. Now it works.

Only thing I don't like is, the Traildash takes a little while to boot up when you first start the engine (maybe 20 seconds or so?). If you put the Jeep in reverse while it's still in that startup process, it's not ready to change screens to the camera yet. It also seems not to switch to the reverse camera until you actually start moving backwards. If I throw the shifter into reverse but keep my foot on the brake, it doesn't change to the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshish View Post
I've been thinking about pulling the rear view mirror out and replacing it with a camera and monitor solution. I noticed the Trail Dash has a backup camera option and was wondering if I wired it into the ignition would the camera back screen turn on with the car every time I got it? Also do you know if the backup lines are in the monitor or the camera? Finally, if the backup camera is running it it possible to exit out of the screen if power is still supplied to the camera?
post #8 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post Pyle

I'm also using a Pyle monitor. It has connections for 2 cameras. Also separate power leads for each camera. I have one mounted near the top on the back of my jeep and the other mounted just above the trailer hitch. Normally it is using the upper camera, but when I put the jeep into reverse it switches to the lower camera. I can see the ball on my trailer hitch. Making in very easy to connect to a trailer. I can switch between cameras at will when needed.

I think I paid $110 for the monitor at sears.com and around $35 each for the cameras on Amazon. Also a few $$ for video cables and wiring. Over all it has worked well for me.
Attached Images

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

So fun fact (resurrecting this from the dead). Got an answer back on my issue from super chips (and am super pissed) - the trail dash will not shift into camera mode if you use a manual transmission. Automatic's the trail dash can sense the gear change and sense when the jeep is in reverse. But it does NOT do that with manuals. Or that's what I got back from super chips at least.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
post #10 of 15 Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 AM
Rock God

The NAV-TV unit works with manual trannys, it's what I have been using on my '12 manual over the past year. Works great w/ my 730 headunit.

http://navtv.com/product/174/allgig-...eShowProduct=1

If you want to use an aftermarket monitor on the rear view mirror and have the monitor come on when you put it in reverse, this one works by tapping into the reverse light circuit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-2-inch-re...item20f36cdeb9

I use this one with two cameras, one mounted higher up and used as a "rear view" camera that's always on when I drive, and the second points down and kicks on when I put it in reverse.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had the pyle system hooked up. Clip on monitor to the rear view mirror, and the camera that attaches to the plate. I still use the same camera, and saw the trail dash could also double as a monitor so i made the swap. When I used the pyle monitor, I had no issues with it changing to display the camera when I shifted into reverse. It also had a trigger wire for the monitor that told it when to do that. Superchips says their trail dash (TD) can be used as a monitor and in an install video it would shift automatically into reverse. This of course is on a automatic trans. Nothing is mentioned about manual transmissions. I'm hoping that i'm missing a software update and i'm blowing this out of proportion. I can switch to display the camera anytime now that it is wired to ACC On, since the camera always has power. But I want it to display the camera, when i shift into reverse automatically as that's the purpose of the design.

post #12 of 15 Old 01-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathie84 View Post
I run the trail dash and the back up camera from pyle.
This one??

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM18BC-...0688266&sr=1-2

14 JKUR
05 Stretched and Coliovers
post #13 of 15 Old 09-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Wheeler

I'm confused.....if your camera is being powered by your reverse lights, which means you've shifted into reverse (standard or auto), how does it know what transmission you've got?

Even on a standard tranny, once you've thrown it into reverse, your lights will come on whether you've let out the clutch or not.

If your reverse lights are on, shouldn't the camera be on no matter what?
post #14 of 15 Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfschor View Post
I'm confused.....if your camera is being powered by your reverse lights, which means you've shifted into reverse (standard or auto), how does it know what transmission you've got?

Even on a standard tranny, once you've thrown it into reverse, your lights will come on whether you've let out the clutch or not.

If your reverse lights are on, shouldn't the camera be on no matter what?
I would guess that just having the camera powered is not enough, the Traildash has to sense the vehicle in reverse as well, to switch to camera mode. Maybe the manual doesn't really tell the computer it's in reverse, so the Traildash also doesn't know.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Wheeler

Yep.... this.

The TrailDash gets its info from the CANBUS (via the OBDII connector it has attached to the port under the steering column). Apparently, only the automatics send the notification that the driver shifted into or out of reverse via CANBUS.

You can wire up your reverse camera so it's always powered/on, and it makes no difference to the TrailDash. It only switches to the view of what's coming in over the RCA video input connector when the CANBUS message reaches it saying you're in reverse (or you manually switch to that view by going through its menus to the proper option to toggle it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiv View Post
I would guess that just having the camera powered is not enough, the Traildash has to sense the vehicle in reverse as well, to switch to camera mode. Maybe the manual doesn't really tell the computer it's in reverse, so the Traildash also doesn't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode