Simple solution to JK LED fog light flicker when light is off. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Simple solution to JK LED fog light flicker when light is off.

I replaced my factory fog lights with LEDs Recently and they flicker for a bit after shut down.

Here is a video (not mine)

The general consensus around the forums seems to be to run a relay and wire the lights to the battery and use the power wire to activate the relay. While this is possible to do I found it to be asinine to run all that wire when the wire already existed.

Another option Ive seen is to put a capacitor in line. This may work but the capacitor is designed to store energy so instead of a bunch of little flashes you'll get a couple big ones.

After some searching I found that the newer model wranglers don't have a fuse for the fog lights. Fog lights are monitored by the FET powering them or the FET driver, depending on what components they are using. If it senses an over current it will shut down the circuit. I believe this monitoring is what causes the LEDs to flicker when not on. LEDs have substantially less resistance than an incandescent bulb.

My solution is to wire an 8-Ohm Non-Inductive Resistor between the positive and negative near the light.

Non-Inductive Resistors are used to dissipate or reduce electrical energy and cover a wide range of applications including high-voltage and high-energy surges while remaining non-inductive.
I have not experienced any more flickering of the light when its off and the resistor has not warmed up yet. Im pretty happy with this result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

sctratch that.

drove awhile last night. guess they do get a bit hot
2014-06-27 07.41.36 by Oscar JoT, on Flickr
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

You don't need to run all kinds of wire to utilize a relay, it can be done right at the bumper. I drew diagram for someone recently, let me see if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

This shows an LED light bar, but the method is the same. You just share the positive to trigger the relay AND power the light. Simple, clean, and effective.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...29&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar the grouch View Post
sctratch that.

drove awhile last night. guess they do get a bit hot
you need resistors with higher power dissipation, 25 Watts min. for 8 Ohms

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #6 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewDrakeNC
LED RELAYS?

You should never have to install additional resistance to your circuitry to use LED Lighting - that is one of the great advantages of using LED's is the low amperage draw. That said - there are harness kits out there that incorporate a relay and fuse link that will alleviate your problems.

I can't tell from the photo - but if the Lamps are Baja Designs than the harness should have included a relay with it.

First I would check to see if it is a Lamp issue - light them with straight 12V power (Battery) - which it doesn't sound like that's the problem...

Next I would simply add the proper relay....

Feel free to contact me if there's anything I can do to assist - I'd be more than happy to help out - I've worked for an LED Lighting Manufacturer for over 15 years and might be able to assist....

Thanks to all our WarFighters - Past, Present and Future - without you we would not enjoy the freedoms we have today!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

Relay should handle it! Swing by the shop and I will do it...

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #8 of 8 Old 12-11-2016, 04:21 PM

I got a pair of rigid industry LED fog lights last week. I heard the stock fog light harness can cause flicker if I directly connect to them and also I want to reuse the fog light control on the steering, so I connected the stock fog light harness to the relay included in the LED purchase. It is working fine when the engine is off, but after engine starts, the relay clicks in very high frequency and the LED flickers because of that... I measured the voltage which is about 14V when engine is on and about 13V when engine is off, also I tried the switch included in the purchase which works fine no matter engine is on or off, so it is the stock fog light harness somehow has issues after engine turns on. There may be something monitoring the current and I think a relay should has big resistance so the current would be very small and then the thing monitoring the current shut the power down, so the relay turns off and then it turns back on and repeat which results in relay clicks and LED light flickers. If in this case then connect a smaller than relay resistance in parallel to increase the current to fool the monitor maybe a way but how much resistance is important. Waste energy and safety concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode