JK 2012 stock speakers - Replacement options? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

JK 2012 stock speakers - Replacement options?

Hi everyone, I have a 2012 JK sport, and i'm looking to upgrade my stock sound system with the addition of a subwoofer and the replacement of the stock speakers. I am trying to do this while maintaining the factory head unit. Any suggestions? And or pros/cons of keeping the factory head unit? I'm also trying to keep the project to a minimal cost, but still see good results... the standard sound system in my jeep is quite terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Wheeler

I replaced all my speaker with the Boston Acoustic speakers that come in the some of the Chrysler cars they are better but not great. There is also the Kicker speaker upgrade but the Boston Acoustic and Kicker are plug and play. The factory head unit is terrible so your system is limited from the beginning. What sub are you looking at?
post #3 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

What do you mean by "minimal cost"? What is your budget?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC JK View Post
What do you mean by "minimal cost"? What is your budget?
Around 500-1000 dollars
post #5 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_JKU View Post
I replaced all my speaker with the Boston Acoustic speakers that come in the some of the Chrysler cars they are better but not great. There is also the Kicker speaker upgrade but the Boston Acoustic and Kicker are plug and play. The factory head unit is terrible so your system is limited from the beginning. What sub are you looking at?

I need all the hockey gear to fit in the back still haha, so maybe like a kicker 10" or a bazooka sub. I've heard some good things about the hideaways but not quite sure yet. I wanted to keep some of the stock functionality, such as steering wheel controls from the head unit, are there any option to bypass it? But to still have control of the system?
post #6 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Granite Guru

There isn't any real con to running your OE deck, if you're upgrading your speakers and adding a sub (As I assume you don't have the factory sub?) you will be either adding an amp or a powered enclosure. I am not a fan of Kicker but they have become a "budget" brand. You could swap out your OE speakers with Kickers add a Kicker 5-channel and a 10", be under $1k and it would be night and day. Depends on what you want out of it, what types of music you listen to, what you are sourcing from (radio, cd's, ipod, etc.) & how much space you want to lose. Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semper Fi
post #7 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC JK View Post
There isn't any real con to running your OE deck, if you're upgrading your speakers and adding a sub (As I assume you don't have the factory sub?) you will be either adding an amp or a powered enclosure. I am not a fan of Kicker but they have become a "budget" brand. You could swap out your OE speakers with Kickers add a Kicker 5-channel and a 10", be under $1k and it would be night and day. Depends on what you want out of it, what types of music you listen to, what you are sourcing from (radio, cd's, ipod, etc.) & how much space you want to lose. Hope this helps.
What brand would you recommend/currently use? No I don't have the factory sub/kicker upgrade. Mostly sourced from my iPhone, I listen to decent amounts of country with an equal amount of bassy type stuff, sorta the whole spectrum. Any other tips from that information?

Thank you!
post #8 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Granite Guru

I have all Alpine Type R's, In the past I was big into JL, Eclipse, & a few others. Alot of guys here have Polk & Kicker. To correct myself nothing wrong with your OE deck IF you will be powering your replacements with an amp. Alpine Type S's would be a step up from Kickers or Polks IMO, but a full Type S (components up front, 2 ways up top, amp and 10") setup prob would be more in the $1100-$1200 range. You tryin to keep the head unit to look stock? I feel ya on the need for hockey gear I have 2 boys that play almost year round between the ice and inline.

Semper Fi
post #9 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Wheeler

Cructhfield.com has good aftermarket head unit usually with free install kits. They will also point you in the right direction on how to keep your steering wheel functions and sat. radio. I will be doing this soon but I got to have factory functions as well. BTW we don't have water let a lone ice down here in Texas, so instead of hockey gear I got the back filled with 2 Earthquake Sound 15s, overkill, I think not.

2014 JKU Sport White, Auto, 3.73s
3'' Trailmaster with 3/4'' spacers
35'' KM2 on 15'' Baja 8s
15'' Earthquake subs with Boston Acoustic upgrade
AEV Procal
Angry Off-Road Handles
Custom Stubby Bumper w/Stinger

2007 Suburban 4x4 LTZ
1995 F-350 4x4 (Smoking fast)
1999 Cherokee 4x4 Rough Country Lift on Rubi take offs
1996 Cherokee 4x4 Skyjacker lift on 32s Locked front and rear
post #10 of 12 Old 05-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Shifts View Post
What brand would you recommend/currently use? No I don't have the factory sub/kicker upgrade. Mostly sourced from my iPhone, I listen to decent amounts of country with an equal amount of bassy type stuff, sorta the whole spectrum. Any other tips from that information?

Thank you!
Quality starts from the source (head unit). The factory radio outputs voltage to the amplifier, allowing it to power speakers/subs. In order for you to have decent quality sound, you have 2 easy options. 1. Replace factory radio with aftermarket head unit, all parts including dash kit, antenna adapter, data harness, and steering wheel control interface module. This way will be your most expensive route, but arguably the best way to do it. 2. Keep your factory radio and add a piece made by a company called Audio Control. They make a piece called an LC7i and it works great with a factory head unit. It will allow you to take the very low, insufficient voltage (around .5 volts) from your factory radio, and boost the voltage all the way up to 8 volts (depending on max input rating on your amp.) What this will do, is allow you to keep the gains turned down on your amplifier while maintaining great sound quality and volume. It also erases the factory EQ settings that are originally intended for the factory speakers, giving you a flat signal in to your amplifiers, then make your LP/HP curve adjustments on the amp/s. There is a lot that you can do to make it great without breaking the bank.

Hope this helps

PMA All Day

Lone Star 4x4 --- Denton, TX
Jeep and Truck Outfitters

post #11 of 12 Old 05-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Wheeler

LoneStar4x4 - I'm doing your #2 option to my 2013, is the PAC SNI-35 much the same thing as that LC7i?
post #12 of 12 Old 06-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommaHawk View Post
LoneStar4x4 - I'm doing your #2 option to my 2013, is the PAC SNI-35 much the same thing as that LC7i?
It is similar. They are both line output convertors, but the LC7i wipes out the factory EQ. This enables you to fine tune your frequency levels.

PMA All Day

Lone Star 4x4 --- Denton, TX
Jeep and Truck Outfitters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode