Fog light question yes, again, I know.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Question Fog light question yes, again, I know....

OK I am a total rookie when it comes to electrical. I have been all through this site and think I understand what I need.
I have Hella 55W lights I put on the bumper
They turn on then off but will not stay on
I figure I need to "replace" the factory relay? Or do I need to install one all together?
I looked in the owners manual and can not find where the fogs hook up to in the engine bay. I.E. does a factory relay exist? which fuse are they connected to? Is anything else on that fuse and relay?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 AM
TrailDuty.com

Just install another relay triggered by the factory circuit. Only takes a few minutes and works fine.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 AM
JKO Addict!

In this diagram the switch is your factory one on the stick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I am looking for the actual physical location of the factory relay and fuse. It is not listed in the owners manual or the cover of the fuse box.
If the answer is yes, I can replace the factory relay with a new one in the same spot that is what I want to do.
Since it is not listed in the owners manual I was also trying to figure out if it is the only thing on that relay and fuse.

Last edited by peanut; 11-20-2009 at 10:40 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Granite Guru

It is almost always a bad idea to just bump up the size of a fuse and replace a relay. The fuse protects the wiring, not the lights. If you pull too much current through the wires, they can (and will) burn up, as in fire under the dash.

It takes about an hour to splice in to the factory wiring right at the bumper and put a relay in there, then run a fused wire from the battery to the relay to power the lights. You could spend another 30 minutes and put a connector on your wiring so that it just plugs in where one the old fog light bulbs were. Connectors are cheap on the internet and this way you aren't even crimping splices into any factory wiring.

Bryan.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
post #6 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Anyone?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Just install another relay triggered by the factory circuit. Only takes a few minutes and works fine.
Tyra. Do this ^^^

That's how my fogs are wired. Works perfectly and you don't have to worry about messing with the factory relays.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Anyone?
I believe they are ran off the TIPM, which is a non serviceable unit. The easiest way to do what you want is to add a relay.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

The problem is if I wire the whole thing I am good or if I am replacing one for one but I don't know where to input the relay. IE physically.
What can I use of the factory stuff, anything? Can I wire them to the wire harness up front put a relay somewhere in the system and still use the factory switch? Other then knowing the switch is on the steering wheel and the hookups are up front that is all I know of the factory wiring.
If not, I can wire the whole thing in with all new stuff I was just trying to avoid a new on off switch for fog lights.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Should I add for those of you who don't know, I am a woman and when it comes to electrical I guess I need it spelled out LOL I know high maintenance.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Should I add for those of you who don't know, I am a woman and when it comes to electrical I guess I need it spelled out LOL I know high maintenance.
CALL ME.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
TrailDuty.com

Use the diagram in post 3, connect terminal 85 of the relay to the + of the factory fog wiring. Ignore everything in the diagram connected to terminal 85, but do all the rest.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 04:35 PM
JKO Addict!

LOL Call me. Good one. I'll see your call me and up you a come to Florida and I will do it for you!

Seriously, all you have to do is cut the factory wiring around the plugs (leave some wire incase you want to go backwards one day), add a relay from autozone, run a fused wire to the battery and your golden. I have 2 4" HIDx driving lights installed into my Overkill bumper and this is how I have them wired. That way you can still use your factory switch. Again see the diagram I put up and do what Phil said. He's a smart man!
post #14 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

OK Got it! Thanks Co4Lo I went the Call route and a little hand holding through the phone gave me what I needed what Phil said is what I got out of it.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
LOL Call me. Good one. I'll see your call me and up you a come to Florida and I will do it for you!

Seriously, all you have to do is cut the factory wiring around the plugs (leave some wire incase you want to go backwards one day), add a relay from autozone, run a fused wire to the battery and your golden. I have 2 4" HIDx driving lights installed into my Overkill bumper and this is how I have them wired. That way you can still use your factory switch. Again see the diagram I put up and do what Phil said. He's a smart man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode