IMPORTANT WARNING FOR THOSE WITH TERAFLEX CB ANTENNA MOUNTS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

IMPORTANT WARNING FOR THOSE WITH TERAFLEX CB ANTENNA MOUNTS

You must grind off the powdercoating where your antenna stud meets the mount, the mounting bolt holes to the body of the tailgate and replace (if necessary) mounting bolts that are not painted black (I happened to reuse my factory tailgate mount bolts, which were painted black, most likely not an issue for the vast majority) or you will fry your CB if you transmit!

I recently received an SWR meter to tune my antenna. I was unable to get readings below 4 on any channels. Subsequently made inquires as to why this was happening, which led to a correspondence with a tech/employee of Firestik. He went into full on rant mode about how Teraflex has been warned about this design flaw numerous times over the years, by multiple antenna/CB companies, to no avail.

Low and behold, yesterday after grinding off the powdercoating, I was able to tune my SWR to around 1.3 on both channels 1 and 40. Luckily, I had yet to transmit on my CB prior to stumbling upon this tidbit of knowledge, for I may have very well needed to buy a new CB, if I had.

Just wanted to relay the info to y'all.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Rock God

This is not an issue with the mount, it an issue with grounding. I would always expect to grind some paint when ensuring a good ground for a cb. You can also run a separate ground (which I do). Even if you have an unfinished mount, it has to have a good ground. The best bare steel mount with no ground won't do any better.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I understand that. Nonetheless, teraflex should provide some sort of disclaimer, or not bother powdercoating their mounts, to avoid the issue entirely for unknowing customers

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
I understand that. Nonetheless, teraflex should provide some sort of disclaimer, or not bother powdercoating their mounts, to avoid the issue entirely for unknowing customers
Sorry, but it sounds like you didn't know what you're doing and want to blame Teraflex for you damaging your radio due to your ignorance. Teraflex didn't tell you to install your antenna by yourself instead of going to a professional. You made that choice in order to save money. All Teraflex did is manufacture and offer a bracket to help a knowledgeable amateur or a professional with the installation.

There are a wide variety of antennas that could be used with that bracket, some of which will operate fine with no ground. The installer is responsible for selecting the antenna and cable, and connecting everything together and to the radio properly. If anyone should be responsible for warning you about the need for a good ground, it would be the antenna manufacturer. If Teraflex didn't powder-coat their mounts then they would rust and damage the finish of the vehicle, or end-users would paint them before installing and wind up with the same problem.

Take responsibility for your own actions. This kind of thinking is why ladders cost 4X what they should and are plastered with warnings about using them in a safe manner. If you don't know what you're doing then either learn or pay someone who does know.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #5 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

Nah, Im with rdlynch here, I had the same issue with mine, after taking a dremel to the underside to take off some of the powdercoat in strategic locations, it worked great..

Not the manufacturers fault, but something to be aware of. Probably shouldn't come PC'd in that area but thats just me.. Nice heads up rdlynch for those unaware!

More Cowbell
post #6 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
You must grind off the powdercoating where your antenna stud meets the mount, the mounting bolt holes to the body of the tailgate and replace (if necessary) mounting bolts that are not painted black (I happened to reuse my factory tailgate mount bolts, which were painted black, most likely not an issue for the vast majority) or you will fry your CB if you transmit!

I recently received an SWR meter to tune my antenna. I was unable to get readings below 4 on any channels. Subsequently made inquires as to why this was happening, which led to a correspondence with a tech/employee of Firestik. He went into full on rant mode about how Teraflex has been warned about this design flaw numerous times over the years, by multiple antenna/CB companies, to no avail.

Low and behold, yesterday after grinding off the powdercoating, I was able to tune my SWR to around 1.3 on both channels 1 and 40. Luckily, I had yet to transmit on my CB prior to stumbling upon this tidbit of knowledge, for I may have very well needed to buy a new CB, if I had.

Just wanted to relay the info to y'all.
Sounds familiar. (https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178281 - last post).

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 06:07 AM
Rock God

Quote:
So you think teraflex should build a bracket that is unfinished and STILL may not provide proper ground due to mounting location? I still thing this is more of a problem with someone not doing their research on how antenna work and electrical principles before playing with them. Heck, you seem to think you didn't need an SWR meter to tune a radio with a tunable antenna. That smacks of someone who does not understand what they are doing. I am not just pointing the finger at you. Lots of folks go through this. There are TONS of "help me with my CB issue" posts all over the net. Just do some research and learn (or get someone who knows what they are doing) before tackling new subject matter. Certainly an unfinished mount would be no guarantee of sufficient ground.

post #8 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I create this thread simply to relay info to those who may not know. I readily admit to not having a good deal of knowledge about electrical wiring/CB function. That is why I had a friend do the installation, who has installed numerous CBs in the past. Regardless, I still feel at least some responsible falls onto teraflex for having been made aware of the issue many times, and considering the vast majority of CB antennas will require a ground, which is not possible without modifying said mount. Seems to me that it would be a common courtesy on the part of teraflex, idk, i dont think that is a very far fetched statement

Last edited by rdlynch2; 05-14-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I create this thread simply to relay info to those who may not know. I readily admit to not having a good deal of knowledge about electrical wiring/CB function. That is why I had a friend do the installation, who has installed numerous CBs in the past. Regardless, I still feel at least some responsible falls onto teraflex for having been made aware of the issue many times, and considering the vast majority of CB antennas will require a ground, which is not possible without modifying said mount. Seems to me that it would be a common courtesy on the part of teraflex, idk, i dont think that is a very far fetched statement
It is VERY POSSIBLE AND VERY EASY to add a ground wire during antenna setup. I understand that you want to blame the product but there are plenty of antenna mounting area that are powder coated on bumpers and tire carriers. It expected that the person installing the CB will decide:
A: if they want a grounded antenna wire
B: if they want to ground the antenna base to the mounting point
C: if they want to run an additional ground
You are just being thick by blaming a vendor for providing a product with a finish on it. Do you even realize that just because you have the mount does not meant that you get a good ground? I am through trying to help you understand how this works. You don't get it and you don't want to get it. Nothing wrong with reminding folks that the antenna will not be grounded through the mount if it is finished. Blaming the mfg of the mount for finishing it is just ignorant.

post #10 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
It is VERY POSSIBLE AND VERY EASY to add a ground wire during antenna setup. I understand that you want to blame the product but there are plenty of antenna mounting area that are powder coated on bumpers and tire carriers. It expected that the person installing the CB will decide:
A: if they want a grounded antenna wire
B: if they want to ground the antenna base to the mounting point
C: if they want to run an additional ground
You are just being thick by blaming a vendor for providing a product with a finish on it. Do you even realize that just because you have the mount does not meant that you get a good ground? I am through trying to help you understand how this works. You don't get it and you don't want to get it. Nothing wrong with reminding folks that the antenna will not be grounded through the mount if it is finished. Blaming the mfg of the mount for finishing it is just ignorant.
Forget it. You got a powderpoated antenna mount, it wont ground properly and you need to take paint off to do so. I feel that the manufactures of these mounts, maybe, should provide a small blurb in the product description stating so, you feel otherwise.

post #11 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 02:18 PM

Yea, bgall, like you are stating, it is necessary to ground the mount. I ran a 10 ga. cable from the mount to my frame, both locations were ground down to bare metal.. It still had a SWR of over 3/1.

I took the mount off and realized the powder coat that is under the lip of the mount is the problem. Using the FireStik antenna mount, it needs to have exposed metal for the bottom of the antenna mount adapter, while the inside diameter of the hole and the top of the lip need powdercoat or paint in order to isolate the antenna.

Just grounding the mount is not a solution, you need to make sure the antenna is isolated and that the antenna adapter mount is properly grounded to the Teraflex mount, which needs to be grounded as well.

Once I made sure the firestik adapter was actually grounded by removing the powdercoat under the hole (NOT the inside diameter of the hole, or any of the top, That little white washer is also an isolator) my SWR ratings were around 1/1 on channel 20.

More Cowbell
post #12 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 07:07 AM
Rock God

I am back in this one, having thought it over some....

I often make the assumption that all folks are as cursed with a drive to know everything about any install aspect (which I fall short of meeting). That said, the OP does bring up a really good general point. What level of detail/warning should manufacturers provide with products like this? Should all mfg provide bolt torque for their components? A note in the product info from TF on this would probably save some grief. Heck, I would point them to the right channel radios general cb guide. I guess the big question is how much info should the mfg be on the hook to provide? In the case of a cb, any qualified installer would have an swr meter and would know to ensure a good ground. That probably rules out better than 3/4 of the buyers of the antenna mount, based on the number of "help, my cb sucks" threads.

I guess what I am saying is that the warning or note would be a good addition to the product info. As a matter of fact, I would say it would be a good addition to recommend folks who don't know jack about radios and don't want to learn find a cb shop to do the tuning. Thoughts?

<truth+confession>
I blew my first cb due to lack of ground.
</truth+confession>

post #13 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Rock God

I don't fault TeraFlex on this at all. TeraFlex just sells a bracket, and depending on the antenna you choose you may or may not have to remove some of the powdercoat. Wilson Antenna actually makes an antenna with a seperate wire to be grounded, rather than grounding the mount.

This really is the responsibility of your antenna and coax mounting company telling you that you need to ground something, which in all fairness FireStik did tell you to ground the mount to your coax cable. There are several ways I have seen this grounded other than just scraping powdercoat including running a braided strap to a ring terminal between the mount and the coax.

Personally I woulnd't buy a mount for a CB antenna that wasn't made of stainless steel because I live in the rust belt, and anything that isn't painted, or protected will rust in no time at all. I would have to replace the TeraFlex bracket on a regular basis in my area.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #14 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Rock God

on another note i dont think the tailgate is all that "clean" of a ground either.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #15 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
on another note i dont think the tailgate is all that "clean" of a ground either.
Yea, its a good idea to run a ground from the mount to the frame.

More Cowbell
post #16 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I am back in this one, having thought it over some....

I often make the assumption that all folks are as cursed with a drive to know everything about any install aspect (which I fall short of meeting). That said, the OP does bring up a really good general point. What level of detail/warning should manufacturers provide with products like this? Should all mfg provide bolt torque for their components? A note in the product info from TF on this would probably save some grief. Heck, I would point them to the right channel radios general cb guide. I guess the big question is how much info should the mfg be on the hook to provide? In the case of a cb, any qualified installer would have an swr meter and would know to ensure a good ground. That probably rules out better than 3/4 of the buyers of the antenna mount, based on the number of "help, my cb sucks" threads.

I guess what I am saying is that the warning or note would be a good addition to the product info. As a matter of fact, I would say it would be a good addition to recommend folks who don't know jack about radios and don't want to learn find a cb shop to do the tuning. Thoughts?

<truth+confession>
I blew my first cb due to lack of ground.
</truth+confession>
Sorry, didn't mean to pull you back, just agreeing with you.. I'm not sure the focus of this thread was to point blame, just a general fyi to anyone with the mount. I'm surprised the thing even came with a install manual.

More Cowbell
post #17 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
I don't fault TeraFlex on this at all. TeraFlex just sells a bracket, and depending on the antenna you choose you may or may not have to remove some of the powdercoat. . . . This really is the responsibility of your antenna and coax mounting company telling you that you need to ground something, which in all fairness FireStik did tell you to ground the mount to your coax cable. There are several ways I have seen this grounded other than just scraping powdercoat including running a braided strap to a ring terminal between the mount and the coax.
Couldn't agree more! TeraFlex sells a bracket; they're not in the business of electronics education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
X2. A perfect ground from the antenna to the mount to the tailgate will be sporadic at best because of the variable contact in the hinge joint. Think of it just like grounding your trailer lights through the ball. Lots of folks do it, but lots of folks have flickering trailer lights too.

Quote:
What level of detail/warning should manufacturers provide with products like this?
As above, I think the educational responsibility (if any -- more on that later) lies with the antenna manufacturer. It is their product which requires special attention to ensure that it functions correctly without damage to other components. And on that note, a shorted coax could do as much damage as high SWR from a bad/no antenna ground. The bracket manufacturer should be accountable for providing a product that securely attaches the antenna to the mounting surface. End of story.

Quote:
. . . which led to a correspondence with a tech/employee of Firestik. He went into full on rant mode about how Teraflex has been warned about this design flaw numerous times over the years, by multiple antenna/CB companies, to no avail.
Somebody at FireStik was trying to cover his posterior anatomy.

This whole discussion has pretty much ignored the consumer's responsibility to educate himself on the product he is consuming. I realize that's a concept that has pretty much been abandoned in our society, but once a consumer buys a product it's not the manufacturer's responsibility (or fault) if he doesn't know how to use it, or uses it incorrectly.

Nobody in their right mind would expect an instruction manual with a set of piston rings. If you know what you're doing with piston rings, then you either already have the knowledge, or have the understanding that you need to consult a service manual for specs. But the last thing that's going to happen is for a piston ring company to take responsibility because some shade-tree mechanic installed them incorrectly and blew his engine up.

If you don't know how to use it, educate yourself or don't buy it. As a service to the consumer, many companies provide some degree of education on how to use their products. This doesn't make it their responsibility, nor the responsibility of other companies to do the same for theirs.

If you don't know how to install it, educate yourself or take it to someone who does. I doubt you'd do a knee replacement on yourself (but if you did, I'd pay to watch!), because that's not your field of expertise. (Maybe I misjudged, but you just don't seem like the scientific type.) Not everyone has the same skills or abilities, and most of us (to varying degrees) have a fair understanding of where our limitations lie. Not everything in life is "plug and play." The trouble starts when people assume that it is! Interestingly there is a direct correlation between the spelling of assume, and what one often becomes when he does it.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #18 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post

Nobody in their right mind would expect an instruction manual with a set of piston rings. If you know what you're doing with piston rings, then you either already have the knowledge, or have the understanding that you need to consult a service manual for specs. But the last thing that's going to happen is for a piston ring company to take responsibility because some shade-tree mechanic installed them incorrectly and blew his engine up.

If you don't know how to use it, educate yourself or don't buy it. As a service to the consumer, many companies provide some degree of education on how to use their products. This doesn't make it their responsibility, nor the responsibility of other companies to do the same for theirs.
I am glad this thread came up beacuse I just installed my CB today and this thread made me look further into proper CB install and tuning and that saved me a bunch of potential headaches. I made my own mount so I have no one to blame there if something goes wrong

The piston analogy is kind of weak though. Its fairly obvious that some working knowledge of engine assembly would be needed for installing pistons. This is a seemingly bolt-on type of thing. While I dont think teraflex, or any manufacturer, NEEDS to include a warning, i think it would be a good idea to mention something. If I hadnt seen this I would have figured it would be a simple bolt everything together and go.

2014 granite JKUR 6spd, JCR dagger w/stinger, warn m8000s, teraflex tire carrier hinge, spiderwebshade, dirty dog 4x4 netting, 2.5" RK x-factor w/bilsteins, diy rock lights, sPOD, black box 50" light bar, JCR skids, dynomax comp exhaust, locker override, KOR front driveshaft. 37x12.5 Cooper STTs on 17x9 XD Addicts, CC ultra rear bumper, VKS Sliders, Trek Armor seat covers, Cobra 75 CB
post #19 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Couldn't agree more! TeraFlex sells a bracket; they're not in the business of electronics education.

X2. A perfect ground from the antenna to the mount to the tailgate will be sporadic at best because of the variable contact in the hinge joint. Think of it just like grounding your trailer lights through the ball. Lots of folks do it, but lots of folks have flickering trailer lights too.

As above, I think the educational responsibility (if any -- more on that later) lies with the antenna manufacturer. It is their product which requires special attention to ensure that it functions correctly without damage to other components. And on that note, a shorted coax could do as much damage as high SWR from a bad/no antenna ground. The bracket manufacturer should be accountable for providing a product that securely attaches the antenna to the mounting surface. End of story.

Somebody at FireStik was trying to cover his posterior anatomy.

This whole discussion has pretty much ignored the consumer's responsibility to educate himself on the product he is consuming. I realize that's a concept that has pretty much been abandoned in our society, but once a consumer buys a product it's not the manufacturer's responsibility (or fault) if he doesn't know how to use it, or uses it incorrectly.

If you don't know how to install it, educate yourself or take it to someone who does. I doubt you'd do a knee replacement on yourself (but if you did, I'd pay to watch!), because that's not your field of expertise. (Maybe I misjudged, but you just don't seem like the scientific type.) Not everyone has the same skills or abilities, and most of us (to varying degrees) have a fair understanding of where our limitations lie. Not everything in life is "plug and play." The trouble starts when people assume that it is! Interestingly there is a direct correlation between the spelling of assume, and what one often becomes when he does it.
Not the scientific type? Hm. Interesting ASSumption. Far fetched assessment on your part considering the minimal correspondance that has occurred here. Btw, i am a critical care RN with the goal of becoming a nurse anesthetist (pretty scientific field of study I would say!). Nothing I have said here even remotely reflects a lack of a scientific mindset, but we all appreciate your input nonetheless

post #20 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

@rdlynch2:

Quote:
(Maybe I misjudged, but you just don't seem like the scientific type.)
. . . because it's not very scientific to approach a device you know little to nothing about without educating yourself first. I didn't assume anything about you; I formulated a hypothesis based on observation. That's the way science works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie09 View Post
I am glad this thread came up beacuse I just installed my CB today and this thread made me look further into proper CB install and tuning and that saved me a bunch of potential headaches. I made my own mount so I have no one to blame there if something goes wrong

The piston analogy is kind of weak though. Its fairly obvious that some working knowledge of engine assembly would be needed for installing pistons. This is a seemingly bolt-on type of thing. While I dont think teraflex, or any manufacturer, NEEDS to include a warning, i think it would be a good idea to mention something. If I hadnt seen this I would have figured it would be a simple bolt everything together and go.
txaggie09, I'm glad you caught things in time and didn't make an expensive mistake, but I think you just made my point for me.

1. Ultimately, you educated yourself instead of just going ahead and jumping into something technical with no preparation, although it seems that you discovered somewhat by accident that you needed that education. That's OK; there's no shame in ignorance. When the red flag went up, you took the responsibility and researched what you needed to know instead of blaming someone else for not educating you, or for not making their product in such a way that you didn't need any education.

2. You're absolutely right that a working knowledge of engine assembly would be prerequisite to the need for the piston rings -- just like a basic working knowledge of radio/electronic/electrical theory is needed before successfully assembling a functional radio transmitting station. Do some people get by without it? Of course; even a blind hog can find an acorn once in a while. And some people have successfully rebuilt engines without proper understanding of what they're doing too. But if/when the installation fails, no manufacturer is going to assume responsibility for the failure, nor should they.

3. Radio transmitters are not "bolt on" at all; that's exactly the kind of assumption (or "faulty conclusion," if you prefer) that I'm talking about. Every installation is unique. And every radio owner's manual I've ever seen, even FireStik's antenna packaging, talks about the importance of SWR and proper tuning. They'll also talk about the importance of proper antenna matching, including coax length, coax impedance, antenna grounding, antenna placement, etc. Can you get by without the knowledge and without taking the proper steps to insure a correctly matched system? Sometimes. Rarely. But there will almost always be a cost associated with taking that shortcut. At best, it will be inferior radio performance. At worst, it's an opportunity to purchase a new radio and try again, hopefully having learned something from the experience.

Bottom line is what I said in the previous post. It's the consumer's responsibility to educate himself about how to correctly use/install what he purchases. If he experiences a product failure due to improper use or installation, that's not on the manufacturer it's on the consumer.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #21 of 22 Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Using piston rings isn't a good analogy since every set I've installed had instructions with them

The antenna is also grounded through the coax cable to the chassis of the radio... A bad ground there can blow a radio also.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #22 of 22 Old 05-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Rock God

Thiers a sticky on this right ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode